Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Image burn in on monitor

Image burn in on monitor

Mike S.

I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image burned on it.
It's the image of my internet browser and the taskbar. I always use a
screensaver (usually the Marquee) and have it set to come on after 8
minutes of inactivity. I usually spend about 8 hours per day at my
computer straight - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on
the screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from getting
worse?

thanatoid

"Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image
> burned on it. It's the image of my internet browser and the
> taskbar. I always use a screensaver (usually the Marquee)
> and have it set to come on after 8 minutes of inactivity. I
> usually spend about 8 hours per day at my computer straight
> - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on the
> screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from
> getting worse?

That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color CRT's
built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.

Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
components they can get from China, put their name on them, and
charge you through the nose, so you just might have gotten an
EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

Kraftee

thanatoid wrote:
> "Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>
>> I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image
>> burned on it. It's the image of my internet browser and the
>> taskbar. I always use a screensaver (usually the Marquee)
>> and have it set to come on after 8 minutes of inactivity. I
>> usually spend about 8 hours per day at my computer straight
>> - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on the
>> screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from
>> getting worse?

> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color CRT's
> built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.
>
> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
> components they can get from China, put their name on them, and
> charge you through the nose, so you just might have gotten an
> EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

Don't knock it I've even had a image burn on a recently bought HP LCD
screen go figure (thought I had turned it off one hot day but instead
left it on the same page for over 10 hours & the system locked so no
screen save or auto time out power down). Now running on a LG Flatron
which appears to be better

To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on your monitor,
but then again it may not, but you have nothing to loose so give it a
go

Muse Groops

Kraftee wrote:
> thanatoid wrote:
>> "Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>>
>>> I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image
>>> burned on it. It's the image of my internet browser and the
>>> taskbar. I always use a screensaver (usually the Marquee)
>>> and have it set to come on after 8 minutes of inactivity. I
>>> usually spend about 8 hours per day at my computer straight
>>> - no breaks. Is that why those images are burned on the
>>> screen? Is there something I can do to prevent it from
>>> getting worse?

>> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color CRT's
>> built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.
>>
>> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
>> components they can get from China, put their name on them, and
>> charge you through the nose, so you just might have gotten an
>> EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

> Don't knock it I've even had a image burn on a recently bought HP LCD
> screen go figure (thought I had turned it off one hot day but instead
> left it on the same page for over 10 hours & the system locked so no
> screen save or auto time out power down). Now running on a LG Flatron
> which appears to be better
>
> To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on your monitor,
> but then again it may not, but you have nothing to loose so give it a
> go

How often should degaussing be done?

Blinky the Shark

Muse Groops wrote:

> How often should degaussing be done?

Your gauss is as good as mine.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

GHalleck

Muse Groops wrote:

> Kraftee wrote:
>
>> thanatoid wrote:
>>
>>> "Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

>>> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color CRT's
>>> built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about it AFAIK.
>>>
>>> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
>>> components they can get from China, put their name on them, and
>>> charge you through the nose, so you just might have gotten an
>>> EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

>> Don't knock it I've even had a image burn on a recently bought HP LCD
>> screen go figure (thought I had turned it off one hot day but instead
>> left it on the same page for over 10 hours & the system locked so no
>> screen save or auto time out power down). Now running on a LG Flatron
>> which appears to be better
>>
>> To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on your monitor,
>> but then again it may not, but you have nothing to loose so give it a go
>>

> How often should degaussing be done?

With most modern CRT monitors, degaussing is done whenever it is
powered on.

thanatoid

"Kraftee" <kraftee@b&e-cottee.me.uk> wrote in
news:f11dug$nj1$(E-Mail Removed):

> thanatoid wrote:
>> "Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>>
>>> I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image
>>> burned on it. It's the image of my internet browser and
>>> the taskbar. I always use a screensaver (usually the
>>> Marquee) and have it set to come on after 8 minutes of
>>> inactivity. I usually spend about 8 hours per day at my
>>> computer straight - no breaks. Is that why those images
>>> are burned on the screen? Is there something I can do to
>>> prevent it from getting worse?

>> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color
>> CRT's built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about
>> it AFAIK.
>>
>> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
>> components they can get from China, put their name on
>> them, and charge you through the nose, so you just might
>> have gotten an EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

> Don't knock it

Don't knock what?

> I've even had a image burn on a recently
> bought HP LCD screen go figure

Plasmas are even more susceptible to burn-in than LCD's (which
are NOT supposed to be at all, but I suppose 10 hrs could do
it).

LG is a better brand than whatever **** HP sells under its name.

> To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on
> your monitor, but then again it may not, but you have
> nothing to loose so give it a go

Degaussing has absolutely NOTHING to do with burn-ins.

thanatoid

Muse Groops <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:46344274$0$18891$(E-Mail Removed):

> Kraftee wrote:
>> thanatoid wrote:
>>> "Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

>>> That's VERY rare, some might say impossible with color
>>> CRT's built after 1990. There is nothing you can do about
>>> it AFAIK.
>>>
>>> Brand name manufacturers almost always use the cheapest
>>> components they can get from China, put their name on
>>> them, and charge you through the nose, so you just might
>>> have gotten an EXTREMELY crappy monitor.

>> Don't knock it I've even had a image burn on a recently
>> bought HP LCD screen go figure (thought I had turned it
>> off one hot day but instead left it on the same page for
>> over 10 hours & the system locked so no screen save or
>> auto time out power down). Now running on a LG Flatron
>> which appears to be better
>>
>> To the OP it may help if you use the degause service on
>> your monitor, but then again it may not, but you have
>> nothing to loose so give it a go
>>

> How often should degaussing be done?

On good CRT's (like a Sony) there is a degauss function and it
is done every time it powers on. On many more recent larger
monitors there is a menu option to do it whenever you want to.
On crap monitors, you have to go to a tech shop and have a guy
charge you $50 for holding a round metal coil in front of the
screen for a few moments.

When your screen displays weird discoloration in corners or
other areas, you need a degauss. But it's not something that is
essential to the well-being of your monitor, only the image
quality, and you can degauss it very infrequently with no harm.

thanatoid

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Muse Groops wrote:
>
>> How often should degaussing be done?

> Your gauss is as good as mine.

No comment.

Frosty

On 28 Apr 2007 21:38:52 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Mike S."
<(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something intelligible,
but instead wrote :

>I just noticed that my HP MX75 CRT monitor has an image burned on it.
>It's the image of my internet browser and the taskbar.

As long as you have your internet browser and taskbar up you won't see
it...so just leave them both up.

Another problem solved by Frosty.