Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual boot of xp and vista, now want to remove xp

Dual boot of xp and vista, now want to remove xp

jaynedifferent@googlemail.com

Hi, just got my vista ultimate delivered and now installed it

My laptop has 2 drives on it, when xp was on it it reported it was on
Drive C: on drive1 with my D: drive being drive0.

After installing Vista to my D: drive, when it starts up it now says
that what was the d: under XP is now the C: drive under vista.

I have now finished re-installing everything and it all seems ok on
the western front I want to reformat the XP drive and fee up the
space. But this is where NTLDR, boot.ini etal are located

Any ideas greatly apprecated on what I need to do to get the vista
drive to become the bootable drive so I can blow the XP one away

Wonderer

On Apr 27, 3:11 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, just got my vista ultimate delivered and now installed it
>
> My laptop has 2 drives on it, when xp was on it it reported it was on
> Drive C: on drive1 with my D: drive being drive0.
>
> After installing Vista to my D: drive, when it starts up it now says
> that what was the d: under XP is now the C: drive under vista.
>
> I have now finished re-installing everything and it all seems ok on
> the western front I want to reformat the XP drive and fee up the
> space. But this is where NTLDR, boot.ini etal are located
>
> Any ideas greatly apprecated on what I need to do to get the vista
> drive to become the bootable drive so I can blow the XP one away

You might be able run the vista install cd again and choose repair(it
worked for xp). you could use a repair boot disk to move those
files(linuxlive works for me).

Mr. Arnold

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi, just got my vista ultimate delivered and now installed it
>
> My laptop has 2 drives on it, when xp was on it it reported it was on
> Drive C: on drive1 with my D: drive being drive0.
>
> After installing Vista to my D: drive, when it starts up it now says
> that what was the d: under XP is now the C: drive under vista.
>
> I have now finished re-installing everything and it all seems ok on
> the western front I want to reformat the XP drive and fee up the
> space. But this is where NTLDR, boot.ini etal are located
>
> Any ideas greatly apprecated on what I need to do to get the vista
> drive to become the bootable drive so I can blow the XP one away

Vista Newsgroups can be found on msnews.microsoft.com, which currently
provides the following:

a.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
b.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unt_passwords
c.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
d.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
e.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
f.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
g.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
h.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
i.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
j.. microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

why?

On 27 Apr 2007 13:11:05 -0700, jaynedifferent@ wrote:

>Hi, just got my vista ultimate delivered and now installed it
>
>My laptop has 2 drives on it, when xp was on it it reported it was on
>Drive C: on drive1 with my D: drive being drive0.
>
>After installing Vista to my D: drive, when it starts up it now says
>that what was the d: under XP is now the C: drive under vista.

Correct.

>I have now finished re-installing everything and it all seems ok on
>the western front I want to reformat the XP drive and fee up the
>space. But this is where NTLDR, boot.ini etal are located

So then don't reformat it, if you free up the space you will just end up
using it later, so instead of a reformat why not delete what you don't
need.

Or get a partition manager and resize the old XP partition, leaving all
the boot stuff alone. That will free up space.

Best to do a backup of the boot partition first or at leaft if it goes
all wrong know how to use the Vista boot editor / fix boot record.

This is where I have 3 partitions, a small boot partition and other for
the OS's.

>Any ideas greatly apprecated on what I need to do to get the vista
>drive to become the bootable drive so I can blow the XP one away

Not mangling an install of Vista and XP on the same drive.

Doing a clean install of Vista to a new disk, then re-installing,
copying data over.

As the XP boot manager is now 2nd to the Vista one you don't really
wan't to do anything, it works and boots Vista.

If you wan't to remove the XP boot option, see past posts in 24HSHD
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
about the new bcdedit, or www.google.com

Me

deejaydee

Hi all,
As you so rightly state loading Xp on C drive, i have gone through this
myself with dual booting
My version of Vista is RC1 which expires end of this month. I have already
deleted Vista
1. To select which OS you want, right click My computer, click advanced
tab,click Settings on Startup & Recovery,
on the top it will show Default operating system ,click down arrow take
your choice.

2. On the other hand if you remove XP you don't get the choice!
Easiest way .Control panel, Administrative tools,Computer management,
Disk management
CAUTION! Check you drive that Contains XP delete partition , quick
format
and Bobs your Uncle. TIP you might have 2 different drive sizes which
will be the clue,
not to be confused between drive letters when either OS is in service.
deejaydee

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...