Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer Keeps Rebooting

Computer Keeps Rebooting

Koss

My computer keeps rebooting. I turn it on and it grts to the WinXP logo
screen and then reboots and does the same thing over & over. I have swapped
out the power supply, mover around the memory etc. I now think it is the
operating system.

I want to format C: drive and reinstall the operating system but I first
need a boot disk that reads NTFS so I can save some important files.

Is there a free program that I can download that makes a boot disk that
reads NTFS ?

Ihave SATA drives in this computer so I can't slave it to another computer.

John Wunderlich

"Koss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My computer keeps rebooting. I turn it on and it grts to the WinXP
> logo screen and then reboots and does the same thing over & over.
> I have swapped out the power supply, mover around the memory etc.
> I now think it is the operating system.
>
> I want to format C: drive and reinstall the operating system but I
> first need a boot disk that reads NTFS so I can save some
> important files.
>
> Is there a free program that I can download that makes a boot disk
> that reads NTFS ?
>
> Ihave SATA drives in this computer so I can't slave it to another
> computer.

Two free possibilities:

"Ultimate Boot CD for Windows"
<http://www.ubcd4win.com/>
"Knoppix" (Live Linux CD)
<http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html>

HTH,
John

philo

"Koss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer keeps rebooting. I turn it on and it grts to the WinXP logo
> screen and then reboots and does the same thing over & over. I have

swapped
> out the power supply, mover around the memory etc. I now think it is the
> operating system.
>
> I want to format C: drive and reinstall the operating system but I first
> need a boot disk that reads NTFS so I can save some important files.
>
> Is there a free program that I can download that makes a boot disk that
> reads NTFS ?
>
> Ihave SATA drives in this computer so I can't slave it to another

computer.

No need to reinstall...you can perform a repair install

Koss

Never did that. Any links to read up on it?

news:462e5d55$0$16272$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > No need to reinstall...you can perform a repair install

> "Koss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My computer keeps rebooting. I turn it on and it grts to the WinXP logo
>> screen and then reboots and does the same thing over & over. I have

> swapped
>> out the power supply, mover around the memory etc. I now think it is the
>> operating system.
>>
>> I want to format C: drive and reinstall the operating system but I first
>> need a boot disk that reads NTFS so I can save some important files.
>>
>> Is there a free program that I can download that makes a boot disk that
>> reads NTFS ?
>>
>> Ihave SATA drives in this computer so I can't slave it to another

> computer.
>>

> No need to reinstall...you can perform a repair install

philo

"Koss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Never did that. Any links to read up on it?

Just google for "Repair installtion"

Note : you will need your SATA drivers too