Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > RIS & Laptops?

RIS & Laptops?

Ben Blackmore

Whats microsofts official line on RIS support for laptops? In everything
I've read, including all the mcse study guides, its always says it needs to
be a pxe compliant PCI NIC, and it won't work with laptops!

"RIS Clients Must Have Particular PCI Network Cards, Laptops Need Not Apply
As it only supports PCI cards, laptops which in general use PC Card or
Cardbus network cards can't be helped by RIS"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...epopt/ris.mspx

Has this now changed? We've just got in a load of new HP nx4000 and they do
pxe boot, and I'm currently installing win2k on them all! Is this because
the network card is built in, and is so considered a PCI NIC?
If a question should come up in an exam saying "you have a laptop computer
and want to use RIS to install win2k, is this possible - yes/no" which would
be correct?

--
Ben

MCP 70-210
"On my way to becoming fully certifiable!"

Neil

"Ben Blackmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> We've just got in a load of new HP nx4000 and they do
> pxe boot, and I'm currently installing win2k on them all! Is this
> because the network card is built in, and is so considered a PCI NIC?

no it is because RIS requires PXE. there are plenty of PCI NICs that did
not support RIS (either thru PXE of the rbfg).

> If a question should come up in an exam saying "you have a laptop
> computer and want to use RIS to install win2k, is this possible -
> yes/no" which would be correct?

I would go with what the documentation for a product says for the exam
every single time. MS also said that the IIS4 SMTP service had to be
installed on an NTFS partition. I have installed it on FAT for sh!ts and
giggles, but I don't think that'd be something I'd do in real life.
(well, I don't think I'd use the IIS4 SMTP service for anything in real
life. there are better SMTP services out there...)

--
Neil MCNGP #30

billyw

boy u know how to have a laugh

news:Xns952C597C985Bneilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248. 16...
> "Ben Blackmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > We've just got in a load of new HP nx4000 and they do
> > pxe boot, and I'm currently installing win2k on them all! Is this
> > because the network card is built in, and is so considered a PCI NIC?

> no it is because RIS requires PXE. there are plenty of PCI NICs that did
> not support RIS (either thru PXE of the rbfg).
>
> > If a question should come up in an exam saying "you have a laptop
> > computer and want to use RIS to install win2k, is this possible -
> > yes/no" which would be correct?

> I would go with what the documentation for a product says for the exam
> every single time. MS also said that the IIS4 SMTP service had to be
> installed on an NTFS partition. I have installed it on FAT for sh!ts and
> giggles, but I don't think that'd be something I'd do in real life.
> (well, I don't think I'd use the IIS4 SMTP service for anything in real
> life. there are better SMTP services out there...)
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP #30
> Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Neil

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:es2xI0lbEHA.1656
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> boy u know how to have a laugh

only becuase I was remarkably bored...now I have this bunch to entertain
me.

--
Neil MCNGP #30

billyw

here's a bit of idle entertainment..

did you know... not a lot of people know this... all my customer's backups
run at 21:12

news:Xns952C628B33E9Bneilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248 .16...
> "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:es2xI0lbEHA.1656
> @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
> > boy u know how to have a laugh

> only becuase I was remarkably bored...now I have this bunch to entertain
> me.
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP #30
> Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

billyw wrote:
> here's a bit of idle entertainment..
>
> did you know... not a lot of people know this... all my customer's
> backups run at 21:12

A palidromic time, eh? Is that so that the backup will immediately verify
itself?

--
Fris "Or immediately restore itself" beeŽ, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.tk

Certaholics

Neil

"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:uqMgCAmbEHA.3016
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> 21:12

nice...

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Neil

FrisbeeŽ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> billyw wrote:
>> here's a bit of idle entertainment..
>>
>> did you know... not a lot of people know this... all my customer's
>> backups run at 21:12

> A palidromic time, eh? Is that so that the backup will immediately
> verify itself?

no need to rush into why they are set for 2112

--
Neil MCNGP #30

billyw

no it is far sadder than that...

and no there aren't any clients called by-tor or the snowdog..
but in the end i'm only a working man

see what i did there eh, eh

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> billyw wrote:
> > here's a bit of idle entertainment..
> >
> > did you know... not a lot of people know this... all my customer's
> > backups run at 21:12

> A palidromic time, eh? Is that so that the backup will immediately verify
> itself?
>
> --
> Fris "Or immediately restore itself" beeŽ, MCNGP #13
>
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
> http://www.mcngp.tk
>
> Certaholics

Jtyc

> here's a bit of idle entertainment..
>
> did you know... not a lot of people know this... all my customer's backups
> run at 21:12

Did you also setup the admin passwords as "password"?

That's what I do... in case I forget them.

WinPE and RIS Prepped images =?Utf-8?B?VHVyZ2U=?= Microsoft Certification 0 08-23-2005 12:01 AM
SUS and RIS can they coexist on the same server. Rick MCSE 6 04-02-2004 04:21 AM
Running RIS on a Web Server? =?Utf-8?B?Q2xheXRvbg==?= Microsoft Certification 1 04-01-2004 05:59 PM
PXE & RIS myrt webb MCSE 3 01-08-2004 05:31 PM
Win2k RIS Ben Freeman MCSE 2 09-02-2003 02:46 PM

Advertisments