Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > confused about power supplies

confused about power supplies

Deano

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm in the middle of upgrading my system and I just realised my old psu
> > connector won't fit the 24 pin connector on my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

board.

> > The manual says I should get one that complies with ATX 12v spec v2.0 or
> > later and provides a minimun power of 600W.
> >
> > 600W psus don't seem that common from what i can see and it's not as
> > though
> > I'm running a packed system. I have one DVD-RW, a hard disk and two
> > graphics cards.
> > The manual also says use of a psu with an even higher power output is
> > recommended for loaded systems. I really think they're being overly
> > cautious.
> >
> > What do you guys think?
> >
> > Also I see some psus referred to as having a 20+4 pin connector. There

is
> > separate 4 pin (P4) power connector but I'm assuming the psu comes with
> > this
> > PLUS a 24 pin connector. Can anyone confirm?
> >
> > thanks for reading!

> Deano
>
> The 20+4 pin connector is a 20 pin connector that has a 4 pin connector

that
> slides onto the end of the 20 pin be fore you plug it into the

motherboard.
> Slide the 4 pin on if you have a 24 pin socket on the motherboard, leave

it
> off if you don't.
>
> You may be able to get a 20 to 24 pin adaptor from you local PC store but

> would suggest you don't do it.
> Most of the Power Supplies with 20 pin connectors topped out at roughly

400
> Watts (there will be exceptions of course) as such I suspect your old

supply
> is underpowered.
>
> Have a look at the Wattage rating on your old supply, if it is not at

least
> 400 Watts then I would seriously advise not to use it.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Thanks, yeah you're right, and it doesn't have that new P4 connector which I
presume is either essential or at least desirable.

WhzzKdd

"Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:4mTVh.77$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%hTVh.8565$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Two monitors? why an earth buy two cards. Any half decent graphic card
>> > will
>> > run two monitors

>> SLI. Read up on it.

> My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
> monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely mistaken?!

You're buying an SLI motherboard and not using it for gaming?

Like old man said, you don't even need two cards for two monitors, unless
they are both digital.

I have two system with nVidia cards in them (one is 7300GS and the other is
7600GT, I think). They have both an analog and a digital output. I have one
of each monitor type - and can plug in both at the same time. Plus, the
cards came with a DVI to VGA adapter - I could put two analog monitors on at
the same time. In fact, I did just that for a recent rebuild/upgrade for a
client. One card, two monitors, low cost.

And if you aren't using the SLI then you're right - you might get by on a
power supply with a little less output, but I don't ever buy anything less
than 500 watts anymore.

Deano

news:rGTVh.1367$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:4mTVh.77$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%hTVh.8565$(E-Mail Removed)...

card

> >> SLI. Read up on it.

> > My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
> > monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely

mistaken?!

> You're buying an SLI motherboard and not using it for gaming?
>
> Like old man said, you don't even need two cards for two monitors, unless
> they are both digital.
>
> I have two system with nVidia cards in them (one is 7300GS and the other

is
> 7600GT, I think). They have both an analog and a digital output. I have

one
> of each monitor type - and can plug in both at the same time. Plus, the
> cards came with a DVI to VGA adapter - I could put two analog monitors on

at
> the same time. In fact, I did just that for a recent rebuild/upgrade for a
> client. One card, two monitors, low cost.
>
> And if you aren't using the SLI then you're right - you might get by on a
> power supply with a little less output, but I don't ever buy anything less
> than 500 watts anymore.

To be honest I only recently decided to upgrade my system and any new
terminology has got me beat. I juts bought a board that was recommended to
me as a reasonably priced upgrade to a system that was getting close to five
years old.

My main monitor is analogue and so is the other one I have access to, so no
DVI connections for me. I thought that two cards each with a VGA connection
would be the obvious solution - I guess it will still work, right?

Deano

Thanks for all the help again, I have just bought a nice looking
Coolermaster 500W model which, fingers-crossed should be fine and hopefully
will arrive on Saturday.

Deano

news:rGTVh.1367$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
> > monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely

mistaken?!

> You're buying an SLI motherboard and not using it for gaming?
>
> Like old man said, you don't even need two cards for two monitors, unless
> they are both digital.
>
> I have two system with nVidia cards in them (one is 7300GS and the other

is
> 7600GT, I think). They have both an analog and a digital output. I have

one
> of each monitor type - and can plug in both at the same time. Plus, the
> cards came with a DVI to VGA adapter - I could put two analog monitors on

at
> the same time.

Ye gods, there's an adaptor for bloody everything isn't there? Oh well,
I have a spare graphics card then....

WhzzKdd

"Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:rGTVh.1367$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >
>> > My understanding was that I could get a dual-head card to plug in two
>> > monitors but Windows was fine with two cards. Am I completely

> mistaken?!
>> >

>> You're buying an SLI motherboard and not using it for gaming?
>>
>> Like old man said, you don't even need two cards for two monitors, unless
>> they are both digital.
>>
>> I have two system with nVidia cards in them (one is 7300GS and the other

> is
>> 7600GT, I think). They have both an analog and a digital output. I have

> one
>> of each monitor type - and can plug in both at the same time. Plus, the
>> cards came with a DVI to VGA adapter - I could put two analog monitors on

> at
>> the same time.

> Ye gods, there's an adaptor for bloody everything isn't there? Oh
> well,
> I have a spare graphics card then....

Heh heh - so do I. But I do that on purpose <g>

Maybe you can return it? Most of the time that's not a problem.

Deano

news:SnUVh.81$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > Ye gods, there's an adaptor for bloody everything isn't there? Oh
> > well,
> > I have a spare graphics card then....
> >

> Heh heh - so do I. But I do that on purpose <g>
>
> Maybe you can return it? Most of the time that's not a problem.

Good idea, I only got them 2 days ago so it shouldn't be a problem.

PeeCee

"Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
ship
" a system that was getting close to five years old."

That would mean the old PS was probably 230 - 250 Watts, definiately not
strong enough.

Paul.

Deano

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Deano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ship
> " a system that was getting close to five years old."
>

> That would mean the old PS was probably 230 - 250 Watts, definiately not
> strong enough.

I was using a 4mb graphics card and that was definitely over 5 years old