Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dail up internet through a VOIP phone line?

Reply
Thread Tools

Dail up internet through a VOIP phone line?

 
 
Ed Propes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2007
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:24:05 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Ozark wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
>>> problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
>>> wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
>>> way.
>>> Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
>>> I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Ozark
>>>

>>
>>
>> Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
>> (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)
>>
>> Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
>> you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

>
>
> It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble - that's
> why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
> tell.


He's trying to save his friend a long driver.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
WhzzKdd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2007
"Nelson Muntz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>
>>"Dave Croft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Nelson Muntz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Ozark wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Hi Guys,
>>>>>
>>>>>I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
>>>>>problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
>>>>>wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
>>>>>way.
>>>>>Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
>>>>>I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> It would be hit-and-miss.
>>>>
>>>> I install alarm systems and the modem comm. works -most- of the time.
>>>> I've had better luck with companies like Comcast and Time Warner that
>>>> offer VOIP (digital phone) direct, because they allocate spectrum for
>>>> it. Companies like Vonage and Packet8 rely on pure IP packets from
>>>> any ISP. That is the difference between "digital phone" and VOIP, but
>>>> in the end digital phone is still VOIP.
>>>
>>> Why can't you just use SKYPE like most of us do?
>>>

>>
>>You didn't comprehend the discussion at all!
>>
>>1) the OP needs to do a dial-up connection to an ISP over a VOIP phone
>>line.
>>That has crap-all to do with Skype.
>>
>>2) the reply from Nelson was regarding using alarm system modems over a
>>VOIP
>>phone line. That has nothing to do with Skype either.
>>

>
> All this coming from a guy in the UK, that does not even offer the
> same telephony solutions.
>
> I ignored his reply, Wizz. He is clueless.
>

Heh heh - obviously <g>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ozark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2007
On Apr 19, 7:24 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>
>
>
>
> >Ozarkwrote:
> >> Hi Guys,

>
> >> I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
> >> problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
> >> wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
> >> way.
> >> Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
> >> I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

>
> >> Thanks

>
> >>Ozark

>
> > Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
> > (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)

>
> > Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
> > you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

>
> It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble - that's
> why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
> tell.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Hi,

He is having a variety of problems. He is running ME and has not
updated anything for a year or more. The computer barely operates. He
and his spouse apparently down loaded lots of junk programs etc.
After I clear out the usual ton of useless spyware etc. I want to
update as many of the usefull programs as possible. He is set up for a
dial up connection only.

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
WhzzKdd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2007
"Ozark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On Apr 19, 7:24 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> >Ozarkwrote:
>> >> Hi Guys,

>>
>> >> I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
>> >> problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
>> >> wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
>> >> way.
>> >> Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
>> >> I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

>>
>> >> Thanks

>>
>> >>Ozark

>>
>> > Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
>> > (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)

>>
>> > Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
>> > you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

>>
>> It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble -
>> that's
>> why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
>> tell.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
> Hi,
>
> He is having a variety of problems. He is running ME and has not
> updated anything for a year or more. The computer barely operates. He
> and his spouse apparently down loaded lots of junk programs etc.
> After I clear out the usual ton of useless spyware etc. I want to
> update as many of the usefull programs as possible. He is set up for a
> dial up connection only.
>
> Thanks
>


Okay - here's the thing: if it's THAT bad, you need to get it to YOUR place.
Ignore his dial up. Download cleanup tools - Spybot Search & Destroy, McAfee
Stinger, Hijack This, etc. and burn to a CD for use on his machine before
you even get the system there. You can download the updates for manual use
for most programs, rather than the Internet update method. Then when you get
his computer, clean it up. When you get that done, connect to the Internet
via YOUR connection, ignore his dial-up ISP. When you give him the system
back, tell him to get his **** together - you never want to see a system
with ME on it again <g>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ozark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2007
On Apr 21, 4:10 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
> "Ozark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Apr 19, 7:24 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
> >> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

>
> >> >Ozarkwrote:
> >> >> Hi Guys,

>
> >> >> I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
> >> >> problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
> >> >> wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
> >> >> way.
> >> >> Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
> >> >> I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

>
> >> >> Thanks

>
> >> >>Ozark

>
> >> > Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
> >> > (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)

>
> >> > Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
> >> > you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

>
> >> It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble -
> >> that's
> >> why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard to
> >> tell.- Hide quoted text -

>
> >> - Show quoted text -

>
> > Hi,

>
> > He is having a variety of problems. He is running ME and has not
> > updated anything for a year or more. The computer barely operates. He
> > and his spouse apparently down loaded lots of junk programs etc.
> > After I clear out the usual ton of useless spyware etc. I want to
> > update as many of the usefull programs as possible. He is set up for a
> > dial up connection only.

>
> > Thanks

>

When you give him the system
> back, tell him to get his **** together - you never want to see a system
> with ME on it again <g>- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Very good advice!
Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
Herb Stein
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2007

"Ozark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Apr 21, 4:10 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>> "Ozark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Apr 19, 7:24 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>> >> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>
>> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

>>
>> >> >Ozarkwrote:
>> >> >> Hi Guys,

>>
>> >> >> I use a VOIP phone via my high speed cable. A friend is having
>> >> >> problems with his computer that is set up for dial up Internet. He
>> >> >> wants to drop it off for me to check out. It's a 50 mile drive each
>> >> >> way.
>> >> >> Can I use a VOIP line to connect to a dial up Internet provider?
>> >> >> I would like to save him the drive if it can't be done.

>>
>> >> >> Thanks

>>
>> >> >>Ozark

>>
>> >> > Can you use remote console (via your high speed cable)?
>> >> > (forget about your voip- it has nada to do with the problem)

>>
>> >> > Then he connects via dial up at the prearrainged time and
>> >> > you use remote console to connect. (but don't ask me how!)

>>
>> >> It sounds to me like the friend might be having connection trouble -
>> >> that's
>> >> why he's asking for help. But it wasn't clearly stated...so it's hard
>> >> to
>> >> tell.- Hide quoted text -

>>
>> >> - Show quoted text -

>>
>> > Hi,

>>
>> > He is having a variety of problems. He is running ME and has not
>> > updated anything for a year or more. The computer barely operates. He
>> > and his spouse apparently down loaded lots of junk programs etc.
>> > After I clear out the usual ton of useless spyware etc. I want to
>> > update as many of the usefull programs as possible. He is set up for a
>> > dial up connection only.

>>
>> > Thanks

>>

> When you give him the system
>> back, tell him to get his **** together - you never want to see a system
>> with ME on it again <g>- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
> Very good advice!
> Thanks


I see your problem. In my case, should I get an ME machine,
it goes out with 98SE. And if they don't have a network card,
they get a 10/100 NIC that I've got lying around. What,
probably US$5 and well worth it.

I'd vote for not even messing with ME.

I can't offer an opinion on dialup on VOIP.
--
Herb
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The difference between a cordless VOIP phone and a Wi-Fi VOIP phone qiaoqianapply@gmail.com UK VOIP 10 08-16-2007 08:33 PM
Need dail plan for UK yagashi UK VOIP 0 11-15-2006 09:25 AM
Latest voip phone/usb phone/voip gateway sales@skype-link.com VOIP 0 02-28-2006 08:54 AM
Not able to get dail tone for phone with Vonage VOIP nite_flite VOIP 0 12-13-2005 11:09 PM
Dail-up connection problems (W98SE) karlengel@excite.com Computer Support 1 09-01-2005 12:12 PM



Advertisments