Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I repair the msgFilterRules so the kill filter will work?

How do I repair the msgFilterRules so the kill filter will work?

Grandpa Chuck

Here is the message I get when trying to use filters in one of the
newsgroups I subscribe to using Mozilla Thunderbird:

>Your filters do not work because the msgFilterRules.dat file, which contains you filters, could not be read.
>A new msgFilterRules.dat file will be creted and a backup of the old file, called rules backup.dat will be created in the same directory.

The lasts time I asked how to fix it below are the answers I was
given which I thought would fix it. Unfortunately they did not. In
fact when I run a search for the msgFilterRules.dat file it is not
found. I am still at the same point as I was when I first got the
message. I apologize for the length of this post.

~You had set up some message rules in your browser.
~The file that stored those rules became corrupt (could not
~be read).
~So that .dat file was `backed up`, and a new empty .dat
~file was created.
~That means that, at the moment you have no filter rules.
~So you`ll have to create new rules.
~
~
~
~That file is a Tbird file with your message rules. Apparently it is
~corrupt/b0rken.
~
~> Does anyone have any idea how to keep it from happening and how to
get
~> the newsgroup to remember the kill filters I have installed in a
~> particular newsgroup? I have not had the problem in any of the
others.
~
~Likely you are going to have to re-create your message rules to get
an
~intact .dat file. One place advises changing the filename to
~backup.dat.
~
~http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_(Thunderbird) The file that stores
~your filter settings in called "msgFilterRules.dat". Each account
will
~have its own "msgFilterRules.dat" file, stored in the account
subfolder
~in the "Mail" or "ImapMail" folder in your profile folder. (In the
case
~of filters for Local Folders, "msgFilterRules.dat" will be found
inside
~the "Local Folders" folder itself.)
~
~... then follows some strategies for using one account's .dat file
for
~another account.
~
~
~The error message is just about as clear as one can be. It tells
~you want is happening and where. It tells you want the filenames,
~new and old, are. But if this is happening every time you run
~Thunderbird, I haven't been able to find anything in why that
~would be happening consistently; i.e., why the new
~msgFilterRules.dat that it made last time would be corrupt the
~next time you ran the program. So I'd suggest that your next step
~might be checking in at mozilla.support.thunderbird at their
~server news.mozilla.org.
~
~(Info at http://www.mozilla.org/support/#newsgroups)
~

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Americans killed in Iraq as of April 19, 2007 is 3,315.
United Kingdom = 142 Other = 124.

As of April 19, 2007 it has been 1467 days since Bush
while standing in front of the banner which was sent
to the ship by the White House saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
declared,"In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our
allies have prevailed." IOW MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair
Lewis

Grandpa Chuck

Never mind. I broke down and moved them all to Agent rather than
trying to get Mozilla Thunderbird to do what I wanted.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:34:19 -0500, Grandpa Chuck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here is the message I get when trying to use filters in one of the
>newsgroups I subscribe to using Mozilla Thunderbird:
>
>>Your filters do not work because the msgFilterRules.dat file, which contains you filters, could not be read.
>>A new msgFilterRules.dat file will be creted and a backup of the old file, called rules backup.dat will be created in the same directory.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~

Americans killed in Iraq as of April 19, 2007 is 3,316.
United Kingdom = 144 Other = 124.

As of April 20, 2007 it has been 1468 days since Bush