Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > TCP/IP Settings For Different Wireless Signals

TCP/IP Settings For Different Wireless Signals

intrktevo@gmail.com

I often change the wireless network I'm connected to, but like to have
a static IP address when I'm at home so I can keep bittorrent running
smoothly. However, if I go to TCP/IP settings for my "Wireless Network
Connection" it keeps those settings for all wireless signals.

Is there anyway to have different TCP/IP settings for my wireless
connection depending on the wireless signal I'm connected to?

Thanks in advance!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> I often change the wireless network I'm connected to, but like to have
> a static IP address when I'm at home so I can keep bittorrent running
> smoothly. However, if I go to TCP/IP settings for my "Wireless Network
> Connection" it keeps those settings for all wireless signals.
>
> Is there anyway to have different TCP/IP settings for my wireless
> connection depending on the wireless signal I'm connected to?

Leave it set for DHCP?

gabeg

On Apr 18, 9:33 pm, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I often change the wireless network I'm connected to, but like to have
> > a static IP address when I'm at home so I can keep bittorrent running
> > smoothly. However, if I go to TCP/IP settings for my "Wireless Network
> > Connection" it keeps those settings for all wireless signals.

> > Is there anyway to have different TCP/IP settings for my wireless
> > connection depending on the wireless signal I'm connected to?

> Leave it set for DHCP?

I have port forwarding set for a certain IP on my home router, which
is the reason I want to keep my static IP at home, but leave it as
DHCP when I'm connected to different wireless signals. I hope this
makes sense?

Evan Platt

On 18 Apr 2007 18:27:54 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I often change the wireless network I'm connected to, but like to have
>a static IP address when I'm at home so I can keep bittorrent running
>smoothly. However, if I go to TCP/IP settings for my "Wireless Network
>Connection" it keeps those settings for all wireless signals.
>
>Is there anyway to have different TCP/IP settings for my wireless
>connection depending on the wireless signal I'm connected to?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Your Wireless router should be able to give you a 'static' DHCP
address based on your wireless MAC.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

gabeg wrote:
> On Apr 18, 9:33 pm, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Leave it set for DHCP?

> I have port forwarding set for a certain IP on my home router, which
> is the reason I want to keep my static IP at home, but leave it as
> DHCP when I'm connected to different wireless signals. I hope this
> makes sense?

What you want seems to be mutually exclusive, but I've never tried to
accomplish that. Maybe someone has the perfect answer for you, but it
ain't me.

why?

On 18 Apr 2007 18:27:54 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I often change the wireless network I'm connected to, but like to have
>a static IP address when I'm at home so I can keep bittorrent running
>smoothly. However, if I go to TCP/IP settings for my "Wireless Network
>Connection" it keeps those settings for all wireless signals.
>
>Is there anyway to have different TCP/IP settings for my wireless
>connection depending on the wireless signal I'm connected to?

Do you mean like reading past posts in 24HSHD
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
and finding the mention of netswitcher as an answer to very similar
questions.

I haven't used the wireless manager bit yet.

>Thanks in advance!

Me

gabeg

On Apr 19, 1:35 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2007 18:27:54 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >I often change the wireless network I'm connected to, but like to have
> >a static IP address when I'm at home so I can keep bittorrent running
> >smoothly. However, if I go to TCP/IP settings for my "Wireless Network
> >Connection" it keeps those settings for all wireless signals.

> >Is there anyway to have different TCP/IP settings for my wireless
> >connection depending on the wireless signal I'm connected to?

> Do you mean like reading past posts in 24HSHDhttp://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
> and finding the mention of netswitcher as an answer to very similar
> questions.
>
> I haven't used the wireless manager bit yet.
>
> >Thanks in advance!

> Me

I tried the software but it doesn't automate the task based on
wireless SSID. I still have to manually switch profiles so it seems
kind of pointless.

why?

On 19 Apr 2007 19:16:57 -0700, gabeg wrote:

>On Apr 19, 1:35 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>> On 18 Apr 2007 18:27:54 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> >I often change the wireless network I'm connected to, but like to have
>> >a static IP address when I'm at home so I can keep bittorrent running
>> >smoothly. However, if I go to TCP/IP settings for my "Wireless Network
>> >Connection" it keeps those settings for all wireless signals.

>> >Is there anyway to have different TCP/IP settings for my wireless
>> >connection depending on the wireless signal I'm connected to?

>> Do you mean like reading past posts in 24HSHDhttp://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
>> and finding the mention of netswitcher as an answer to very similar

<snip>

>> Me

>I tried the software but it doesn't automate the task based on
>wireless SSID. I still have to manually switch profiles so it seems

It would do that how? Once you figure that out submit a request to the
author.

Having to switch profiles doesn't appear to be a problem, at least all
the info is there to switch between.

>kind of pointless.

Me