Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Put a notebook's hard drive in a desktop?

Put a notebook's hard drive in a desktop?

John Corliss

Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1353

What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto
my hard drive since the drive is failing.

My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
drive up to my desktop computer?

TIA for any help.

--
John Corliss

Aardvark

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:28 -0700, John Corliss wrote:

> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
> from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
> inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
> DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1353
>
> What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto
> my hard drive since the drive is failing.
>
> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
> drive up to my desktop computer?
>
> TIA for any help.

As far as I know you should be able to find an adaptor which plugs into a
PC IDE cable on one side and into the notebook HD on the other. Try google
(something like 'IDE notebook hard drive adapter')

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

EricP

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is this possible?

I think you may find it is impossible to get a power supply to the
little drive.

Leythos

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:17:19 +0000, EricP wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:28 -0700, John Corliss
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is this possible?

> I think you may find it is impossible to get a power supply to the
> little drive.

Many 2.5" adapters connect to a standard power connector. I have several
of them for ghosting laptops to other drives.

A 2.5" laptop drive adapter is all that's needed.

*** WARNING - this links contains foul/pornographic content of an
website ***
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/leythos.htm
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/bughunter.htm

J. H. Holliday

"John Corliss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
> from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
> inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
> DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1353
>
> What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto my
> hard drive since the drive is failing.
>
> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
> drive up to my desktop computer?
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> --
> John Corliss

If your objective is to get the data off your failing NB HD, seems to me
that it would be easier to either hook an external HD to the NB and move
your data or cable the NB to your desktop. There are a variety of
programs/cables to do that depending on what kind of ports the NB has.

WhzzKdd

"John Corliss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
> from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
> inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
> DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1353
>
> What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto my
> hard drive since the drive is failing.
>
> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
> drive up to my desktop computer?

Yes, as Aardvark stated, there is an adapter for that - kinda like this:

Very economical.

An alternate suggestion would be a USB external enclosure. If the notebook
computer is being "retired" and the drive doesn't need to be put back, you
can turn the drive into external portable storage:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

Both items can also be easily found elsewhere, even eBay. Newegg.com has
been an excellent source of products for myself any numerous others who post
to this newsgroup - good service, easy to return/exchange products, etc. (I
endorse them only as a customer - I have no affiliation with them beyond
that.)

Meat Plow

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:28 -0700, John Corliss wrote:

> s this possible?

2.5" to 3.5" adapter. google it.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

Christopher Syn

get an external usb case for it, geezzzzzzzz

"John Corliss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
> from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
> inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
> DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1353
>
> What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto my
> hard drive since the drive is failing.
>
> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
> drive up to my desktop computer?
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> --
> John Corliss

John Corliss

Aardvark wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>
>> Is this possible? The drive I want to temporarily put in my computer is
>> from an old notebook made in '97. It has a EIDE interface and is a 2.5
>> inch form factor. My computer uses a controller that provides ultra
>> DMA33/ATA66/ATA100. My motherboard is described here:
>>
>> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1353
>>
>> What I'd like to do is to try to quickly copy the drive's contents onto
>> my hard drive since the drive is failing.
>>
>> My question though, is: will I be able to hook that small form factor
>> drive up to my desktop computer?
>>
>> TIA for any help.

> As far as I know you should be able to find an adaptor which plugs into a
> PC IDE cable on one side and into the notebook HD on the other. Try google
> (something like 'IDE notebook hard drive adapter')

Somebody in alt.hardware told me about this one:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

Thanks for replying!

--
John Corliss

John Corliss

EricP wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:28 -0700, John Corliss
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is this possible?

> I think you may find it is impossible to get a power supply to the
> little drive.

This adaper:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

provides for that.