Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP fax program without the disc.

Windows XP fax program without the disc.

glorsmith@gmail.com

I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
already installed.

I desparately need to use the faxing service.

I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??

Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
enough
to know how to do this.

Thanks so much for taking time to help others!

Gloria

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
> already installed.
>
> I desparately need to use the faxing service.
>

> I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
> attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??
>

> Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
> enough
> to know how to do this.
>

> Thanks so much for taking time to help others!
>

> Gloria

Hi, Gloria,

You went to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, then clicked on "Install a
local fax printer" (left hand side), right?

I'm afraid if that didn't work, you don't have the files you need.

See, the "service pack files" you show on your PC may not have all the files
required. Those are only updates, not the full installation set of files, so
only updated things would be in there.

Have you looked around the rest of the PC for another i386 folder?

If you can't find the files that way, you will probably have to beg, borrow
or steal a Windows XP Setup CD from somebody - family, friend, neighbor,
etc.

JANA

You will need the XP installation disk for your computer.

Why would you spend good money to buy a computer, and not buy a copy of the
operating system???

--

JANA
_____

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
already installed.

I desparately need to use the faxing service.

I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??

Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
enough
to know how to do this.

Thanks so much for taking time to help others!

Gloria

PeeCee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
> already installed.
>
> I desparately need to use the faxing service.
>

> I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
> attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??
>

> Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
> enough
> to know how to do this.
>

> Thanks so much for taking time to help others!
>

> Gloria

Gloria

Start
Control Panel
Add Remove Programs
Add Remove Windows components (left hand side)
Put a tick in the Fax Service.
Click <Next> to install.

If that does not work, ring the PC manufacturer & ask why they didn't
include the Fax components in their XP installation and how to install them.
Note you may be liable for a fee if they decide the files are missing
because of user error, in this case a reinstall will propabley be the way to
replace the fax components.
You may wish to do this anyway
(Back your data up first as often the restore routine is 'destructive' ie it
wipes 'all' files off the hard drive before restoring the factory image

YMMV)

Best
Paul.

Jerry Attic

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said in news:1176780988.124911.193840
@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
> already installed.
>
> I desparately need to use the faxing service.
>

> I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
> attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??
>

> Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
> enough
> to know how to do this.
>

> Thanks so much for taking time to help others!

If you bought something like a Compaq, Dell, HP, etc. (especially the
really cheap ones) they'll make a second partition on the hard drive and
stick an image file or files for OS on it. If this isn't the case, you
might want to borrow an installation CD like some of the others have
mentioned. Another choice is to download some other free fax software or
use an Internet service to do it:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...zilla%3Aen-US%
3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=free+fax+software+for +windows+xp&btnG=Google+S
earch

Adi

You can download any other Fax program, some are freeware for faxing from
computer.

I never use Windows XP Fax, because it isn't very effective.

<(E-Mail Removed)> je napisal v sporocilo
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com ...