Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Using a parallel input printer on a USB port?

Using a parallel input printer on a USB port?

Jeff Wisnia

I just upgraded my home computer to a new Dell which didn't come with a
parallel printer port.

I've beeen using a trusty old Cannon BJ-240L printer and it does an adequate
job for the occassional things I need to print.

Is there any cost effective way to use my old printer with my new computer,
which doesn't have a parallel port?

Or should I just buy a new printer?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
> I just upgraded my home computer to a new Dell which didn't come with a
> parallel printer port.
>
> I've beeen using a trusty old Cannon BJ-240L printer and it does an
> adequate job for the occassional things I need to print.
>
> Is there any cost effective way to use my old printer with my new
> computer, which doesn't have a parallel port?
>
> Or should I just buy a new printer?

The real answer is buy a new printer. I've been a fan of Canon printers
off and on and am quite happy with my Pixma printer. In fact, I bought
one for my mother and one for my wife, and then she bought one for her
mom. Cartridges on eBay are cheap.

chuckieŽ

Another idea is to get a parallel to USB cable. I am using one now, at
work, for an old HP printer. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it
worked just fine. For the short-term, it's cheaper than a new
printer...FWIW...