Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hardware Upgrade

Hardware Upgrade

luvtogofas@excite.com

I am running XP 1.5 pentium processor with 256 of memory.
I want to upgrade to make the system faster as cheap as possible, any
suggestions...
also how can i make sure what i buy is goint to be compatiable

Mike

Old Gringo

On Or About Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:20:51 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
Thinking Twice, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Stumbled Over To The Keyboard
And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

> I am running XP 1.5 pentium processor with 256 of memory.
> I want to upgrade to make the system faster as cheap as possible, any
> suggestions...
> also how can i make sure what i buy is goint to be compatiable
>
> Mike

Just add some memory. Gb will work wonders.
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

luvtogofas@excite.com

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:34:49 GMT, Old Gringo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Or About Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:20:51 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
>Thinking Twice, (E-Mail Removed) Stumbled Over To The Keyboard
>And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>
>> I am running XP 1.5 pentium processor with 256 of memory.
>> I want to upgrade to make the system faster as cheap as possible, any
>> suggestions...
>> also how can i make sure what i buy is goint to be compatiable
>>
>> Mike

>Just add some memory. Gb will work wonders.
>--

I haven't added memory since win95, how do i know what to buy, and
what will work?

Mike

DlSoftware

Recommend you upgrade to 1GB of DDR, you will notice the benefits.
Your computer will store the majority of tasks in your memory improving
performance in general! You do no need to go above 1GB really though as to
much memory can actually delay your computers response time. Second upgrade
i would recommend would be why not treat your computer to an extra hard
drive? small one (What , you think i'm crazy? laughs out loud) No. Actually
this is a benefit also because what you do is, you tell windows to place the
pagefile.sys on this empty drive and then when it stores its information on
the drive windows is a lot faster as the pagefile.sys file is the only thing
on the drive.

Although what would be better and cheaper is if you partioned a small part
of your c:\ drive depending on how big it is and use that part so that it
can be dedicated for your pagefile.

Also TIP: Defrag your drive using Diskeeper or whatever defragger you have
to hand as often as you can, This improves hard drive response time.

Extra: Never overload your drive with files, id recommend 30% of space on
any drive to keep hard drive performance to a maximum.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running XP 1.5 pentium processor with 256 of memory.
> I want to upgrade to make the system faster as cheap as possible, any
> suggestions...
> also how can i make sure what i buy is goint to be compatiable
>
> Mike

GHalleck

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:34:49 GMT, Old Gringo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Or About Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:20:51 GMT, Without Any Hesitation Or
>>Thinking Twice, (E-Mail Removed) Stumbled Over To The Keyboard
>>And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>>

>>>I am running XP 1.5 pentium processor with 256 of memory.
>>>I want to upgrade to make the system faster as cheap as possible, any
>>>suggestions...
>>>also how can i make sure what i buy is goint to be compatiable
>>>
>>>Mike

>>Just add some memory. Gb will work wonders.
>>--

> I haven't added memory since win95, how do i know what to buy, and
> what will work?
>
> Mike

Visit some of the websites of the memory chip makers, such as
www.kingston.com, www.crucial.com, www.corsair.com, etc. Almost
all have pick lists from which to choose the proper memory for
the specific make of motherboard or computer system. But for a
1.5 GHz Pentium system, it might already be too antiquated. In
this case, a better longer term alternative would be to buy a
new system.

luvtogofas@excite.com

Thanks for the advice,
I haved already upgraded to a bigger hard drive and placed the
pagefile on it and it did increase performance and i also defrag on a
consistant basis, I am just looking to keep this system for a little
longer before upgrading
I will look for 1G of DDR, thanks!

Mike

>Recommend you upgrade to 1GB of DDR, you will notice the benefits.
>Your computer will store the majority of tasks in your memory improving
>performance in general! You do no need to go above 1GB really though as to
>much memory can actually delay your computers response time. Second upgrade
>i would recommend would be why not treat your computer to an extra hard
>drive? small one (What , you think i'm crazy? laughs out loud) No. Actually
>this is a benefit also because what you do is, you tell windows to place the
>pagefile.sys on this empty drive and then when it stores its information on
>the drive windows is a lot faster as the pagefile.sys file is the only thing
>on the drive.
>
>Although what would be better and cheaper is if you partioned a small part
>of your c:\ drive depending on how big it is and use that part so that it
>can be dedicated for your pagefile.
>
>Also TIP: Defrag your drive using Diskeeper or whatever defragger you have
>to hand as often as you can, This improves hard drive response time.
>
>Extra: Never overload your drive with files, id recommend 30% of space on
>any drive to keep hard drive performance to a maximum.
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am running XP 1.5 pentium processor with 256 of memory.
>> I want to upgrade to make the system faster as cheap as possible, any
>> suggestions...
>> also how can i make sure what i buy is goint to be compatiable
>>
>> Mike

Ron Martell

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks for the advice,
>I haved already upgraded to a bigger hard drive and placed the
>pagefile on it and it did increase performance and i also defrag on a
>consistant basis, I am just looking to keep this system for a little
>longer before upgrading
>I will look for 1G of DDR, thanks!

You need to purchase the correct RAM for your specific motherboard.
With a 1.5 ghz Pentium you are far more likely to be using SDRAM than
DDR.

You need to check this out before you possibly waste money purchasing
the wrong RAM.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

luvtogofas@excite.com

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:55:57 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the advice,
>>I haved already upgraded to a bigger hard drive and placed the
>>pagefile on it and it did increase performance and i also defrag on a
>>consistant basis, I am just looking to keep this system for a little
>>longer before upgrading
>>I will look for 1G of DDR, thanks!

>You need to purchase the correct RAM for your specific motherboard.
>With a 1.5 ghz Pentium you are far more likely to be using SDRAM than
>DDR.
>
>You need to check this out before you possibly waste money purchasing
>the wrong RAM.
>
>Good luck
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>--

That was really my question, how can I find out exactly what kind I
need to buy?

Mike

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:55:57 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the advice,
>>>I haved already upgraded to a bigger hard drive and placed the
>>>pagefile on it and it did increase performance and i also defrag on a
>>>consistant basis, I am just looking to keep this system for a little
>>>longer before upgrading
>>>I will look for 1G of DDR, thanks!

>>You need to purchase the correct RAM for your specific motherboard.
>>With a 1.5 ghz Pentium you are far more likely to be using SDRAM than
>>DDR.
>>
>>You need to check this out before you possibly waste money purchasing
>>the wrong RAM.
>>
>>Good luck
>>
>>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>>--

> That was really my question, how can I find out exactly what kind I
> need to buy?

As others mentioned, www.kingston.com, www.crucial.com, your PC
manufacturer's website, etc.

A 1.5GHz CPU most likely uses PC133 SDRAM. Most motherboards of that period
have size limits for memory modules - many can't take larger than 256MB per
slot, some take 512MB per slot; I don't recall seeing any that take 1GB per
slot.