Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Today's race

Today's race

Aardvark

Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
bet for them.

Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.

BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
don't know.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

Aardvark

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:58:55 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

> Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
> today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
> bet for them.
>
> Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
> money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
>
> BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
> don't know.

Full name of that horse is Numbersixvalverde BTW.

--

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:10:38 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:58:55 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
>
>> Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
>> today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
>> bet for them.
>>
>> Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
>> money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
>>
>> BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
>> don't know.
>>

> Full name of that horse is Numbersixvalverde BTW.

2007 John Smith's Grand National.

Winners and prices as follows:

1. Silver Birch 33-1

2. McKelvey 12-1

3. Slim Pickings 33-1

4. Philson Run 100-1

Funny thing is I was tempted earlier to back Philson Run. Would've won
£12.50. Oh well.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

Blinky the Shark

Aardvark wrote:

> 2007 John Smith's Grand National.
>
> Winners and prices as follows:
>
> 1. Silver Birch 33-1
>
> 2. McKelvey 12-1
>
> 3. Slim Pickings 33-1
>
> 4. Philson Run 100-1
>
> Funny thing is I was tempted earlier to back Philson Run. Would've won
> 12.50. Oh well.

I think they should rename this "The Long Shot National".

What did they do, give all the favorites horsey downers?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Aardvark

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:57:45 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>
>> 2007 John Smith's Grand National.
>>
>> Winners and prices as follows:
>>
>> 1. Silver Birch 33-1
>>
>> 2. McKelvey 12-1
>>
>> 3. Slim Pickings 33-1
>>
>> 4. Philson Run 100-1
>>
>> Funny thing is I was tempted earlier to back Philson Run. Would've won
>> £12.50. Oh well.

> I think they should rename this "The Long Shot National".
>
> What did they do, give all the favorites horsey downers?

You've obviously nrver seen the National, mate. Today there were 40
starters of which only 13 finished. That's yer average Grand National.
They run twice round Aintree racecourse over six-foot fences, water-jumps
and all sorts of frightening obstacles. A total of 4 miles and 4 furlongs
of sheer hell for the horses.

Don't often get a winner with odds shorter than about 8-1 or 9-1, except
maybe when Red Rum was running in the seventies.

If you want to watch the National in 2005, check out the following:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GnA3Q3z9ZPY

Enjoy mate.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

Milhouse Van Houten

Aardvark wrote:

>Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
>today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
>bet for them.
>
>Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
>money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
>
>BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
>don't know.

Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
controllable variables.

If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
favor the house the least).

Aardvark

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:50:08 -0500, Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>
>>Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
>>today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
>>bet for them.
>>
>>Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
>>money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
>>
>>BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
>>don't know.
>>

> Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
> controllable variables.

Not in the UK. It's very closely monitored and must conform to stringent
rules. Bookmakers shops are numerous as off-track has been allowed in this
country since 1961, and must operate within the laws governing gambling.

> If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
> favor the house the least).

Always liked blackjack. Played a lot of pontoon at school too.

--

Aardvark wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:57:45 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Aardvark wrote:
>>
>>> 2007 John Smith's Grand National.
>>>
>>> Winners and prices as follows:
>>>
>>> 1. Silver Birch 33-1
>>>
>>> 2. McKelvey 12-1
>>>
>>> 3. Slim Pickings 33-1
>>>
>>> 4. Philson Run 100-1
>>>
>>> Funny thing is I was tempted earlier to back Philson Run. Would've won
>>> 12.50. Oh well.

>> I think they should rename this "The Long Shot National".
>>
>> What did they do, give all the favorites horsey downers?

> You've obviously nrver seen the National, mate. Today there were 40

Nope. Don't even know what country it's in.

> starters of which only 13 finished. That's yer average Grand National.

That's no horse race. That's an Iron Man Triathlon for horses. (I
wrote "Iron Horse Triathlon", but that sounded like a locomotive event.)

> They run twice round Aintree racecourse over six-foot fences, water-jumps
> and all sorts of frightening obstacles. A total of 4 miles and 4 furlongs
> of sheer hell for the horses.

What, the night before the race a bunch of pranksters sneak in and put
all those things in the way? Do you have people stationed around the
course whose job is to shoot at them, too?

> Don't often get a winner with odds shorter than about 8-1 or 9-1, except
> maybe when Red Rum was running in the seventies.

Ah. I'm used to civilized USan horse racing.

--

Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>
>>Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
>>today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
>>bet for them.
>>
>>Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
>>money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
>>
>>BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
>>don't know.

> Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
> controllable variables.
>
> If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
> favor the house the least).

No way. I'll stick to the ponies, where I get inside information from
Uncle Vito the Shark.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Aardvark wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:50:08 -0500, Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
>
>> Aardvark wrote:
>>
>>>Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
>>>today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
>>>bet for them.
>>>
>>>Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
>>>money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
>>>
>>>BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
>>>don't know.
>>>

>> Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
>> controllable variables.
>>

>Not in the UK. It's very closely monitored and must conform to stringent
>rules. Bookmakers shops are numerous as off-track has been allowed in this
>country since 1961, and must operate within the laws governing gambling.

In the US I've heard too many stories about the Mafia threaten owners
and jockeys.

>> If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
>> favor the house the least).

>Always liked blackjack. Played a lot of pontoon at school too.

Never heard of pontoon. What is that?

VHDL - processes, race conditions, & Verilog Taras_96 VHDL 7 04-05-2005 01:01 AM
race conditions/pulse width The Weiss Family VHDL 6 10-19-2004 02:47 PM
OT: The race so far Neil MCSE 33 07-02-2004 07:45 PM
OT: The race so far today... =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 248 07-02-2004 06:59 PM
Mega Pixel race is like the Mhz Race Hugo Drax Digital Photography 7 01-12-2004 11:07 AM

Advertisments