Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Annoyance, help pls

XP Annoyance, help pls

soalvajavab1@yahoo.com

I have an external laptop speaker and hook it into the headphone jack,
BUT sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes when I reboot the XP, no
clue whatsoever, very very strength. Must be something in XP. I check
the control panel / Sounds and Audio device, play and change a bit few
options but did not help, very frustratating, please advise if you
have some clue that what can distract it ? Also my speaker icon does
not show up in XP task bar, how can I make it show up? XP?

Second problem :

I have another laptop, I want to do a fresh clean install of XP, I
drop the partition by booting from Linux Knoppix and put the Win XP cd
in it and now it does not read the XP CD, in BIOS I said check the CD/
DVD first for OS but still stop right there and say it can not find
the boot CD. It seems that the laptop does not read the CD dtrive for
XP but it does read it for Knoppix. Any idea what I can do?

I am kind of stuck on these, pls advise, thanks people

Walter Mautner

> I have an external laptop speaker and hook it into the headphone jack,
> BUT sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes when I reboot the XP, no
> clue whatsoever, very very strength. Must be something in XP. I check
> the control panel / Sounds and Audio device, play and change a bit few
> options but did not help, very frustratating, please advise if you
> have some clue that what can distract it ? Also my speaker icon does
> not show up in XP task bar, how can I make it show up? XP?

Does it work with the mentioned knoppix cd?
Do you have question/exclamation marks in device manager, or hdaudio
(realtek, intel) driver installed in wrong order?

> Second problem :
>
> I have another laptop, I want to do a fresh clean install of XP, I
> drop the partition by booting from Linux Knoppix and put the Win XP cd
> in it and now it does not read the XP CD, in BIOS I said check the CD/
> DVD first for OS but still stop right there and say it can not find
> the boot CD. It seems that the laptop does not read the CD dtrive for
> XP but it does read it for Knoppix. Any idea what I can do?
>
> I am kind of stuck on these, pls advise, thanks people

You may have a flakey non-bootable or upgrade-version windows cd.
Take the chance and install your knoppix or (k)ubuntu on that laptop