Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > task bar icon?

task bar icon?

sammy

hi,

running XP home, 2nd edtion.

a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task bar) -
the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like Spy Sweeper
and EZ Firewall.

anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
small and my eyes are not the best.

when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."

the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates will
be loaded for what program.

when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2 options,
"express install" or "custom install," which is the same result if you give
it a left click.

when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."

can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the past.
i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what the heck
they are or what they do.

am i being paranoid?

thanks,

sammy

WhzzKdd

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:461e66ce$0$24760$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> running XP home, 2nd edtion.
>
> a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task bar) -

No, that is the System Tray. The taskbar is the space between the Start
button and the System Tray.

> anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
> center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
> small and my eyes are not the best.
>
> when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
> ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
>
> the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates
> will be loaded for what program.
>
> when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2 options,
> "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result if you
> give it a left click.
>
> when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
> window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
>
> can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
> microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the
> past. i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what
> the heck they are or what they do.

Can you say "Microsoft Windows Automatic Updates? There is little that has
been "questionable" from MS in the past. There have been some seriously
flawed updates though <g>!

You don't get the same thing by clicking Express or Custom. Express just
does it. Custom lets you see what is there, and lets you choose. So you do
Custom, and read them. If there's something there that frightens you, don't
do it.

For example, at work, I don't want our accounting department to install IE7,
since our 2005 Quickbooks has (or had - it may be fixed by now)
compatibility issues with IE7. So, a Custom update gives me the option to
NOT install IE7, and even allows me to tell the system not to offer that
update again.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:05:52 -0400, sammy wrote:

> hi,
>
> running XP home, 2nd edtion.
>
> a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task bar) -
> the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like Spy Sweeper
> and EZ Firewall.
>
> anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
> center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
> small and my eyes are not the best.
>
> when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
> ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
>
> the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates will
> be loaded for what program.
>
> when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2 options,
> "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result if you give
> it a left click.
>
> when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
> window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
>
> can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
> microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the past.
> i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what the heck
> they are or what they do.
>
> am i being paranoid?
>
> thanks,
>
> sammy

It's Windows Auto Updates. You can shut it off.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

sammy

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:05:52 -0400, sammy wrote:
>

> It's Windows Auto Updates. You can shut it off.
> --
> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
> COOSN-266-06-25794

Meat Plow,

how do i shut it off?

thanks,

sammy

WhzzKdd

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:461e7a70$0$5663$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:05:52 -0400, sammy wrote:
>>

>> It's Windows Auto Updates. You can shut it off.
>> --
>> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
>> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
>> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
>> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>> COOSN-266-06-25794
>>

> Meat Plow,
>
> how do i shut it off?
>
> thanks,
>
> sammy

You WANT to leave your PC unprotected from exploits that MS is trying to
FIX? What a maroon. Unplug that PC from the Internet - the rest of the world
doesn't want the crap your system is soon going to be spreading around.

J. H. Holliday

"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
news:461e66ce$0$24760$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> running XP home, 2nd edtion.
>
> a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task bar) -
> the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like Spy
> Sweeper and EZ Firewall.
>
> anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
> center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
> small and my eyes are not the best.
>
> when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
> ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
>
> the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates
> will be loaded for what program.
>
> when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2 options,
> "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result if you
> give it a left click.
>
> when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
> window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
>
> can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
> microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the
> past. i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what
> the heck they are or what they do.
>
> am i being paranoid?
>
> thanks,
>
> sammy

Good you noticed that-- it's placed there by the tooth fairy.

If you click on it and install the updates, your computer will be connected
to the fairy.net and try to have sex with other male computers.

WhzzKdd

"J. H. Holliday" <doc@ok> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
> news:461e66ce$0$24760$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi,
>>
>> running XP home, 2nd edtion.
>>
>> a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task
>> bar) - the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like
>> Spy Sweeper and EZ Firewall.
>>
>> anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
>> center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
>> small and my eyes are not the best.
>>
>> when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
>> ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
>>
>> the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates
>> will be loaded for what program.
>>
>> when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2
>> options, "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result
>> if you give it a left click.
>>
>> when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
>> window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
>>
>> can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
>> microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the
>> past. i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing what
>> the heck they are or what they do.
>>
>> am i being paranoid?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> sammy

> Good you noticed that-- it's placed there by the tooth fairy.
>
> If you click on it and install the updates, your computer will be
> connected to the fairy.net and try to have sex with other male computers.

And what makes you think the tooth fairy is gay?

J. H. Holliday

news:blwTh.237$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "J. H. Holliday" <doc@ok> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
>> news:461e66ce$0$24760$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> running XP home, 2nd edtion.
>>>
>>> a new icon showed up in my task bar (at least i think it's the task
>>> bar) - the area that displays icons for programs that are running, like
>>> Spy Sweeper and EZ Firewall.
>>>
>>> anyway, this new icon is a small, gold and shaped like a shield . in its
>>> center there is either an exclamation point (!) or a keyhole. it's very
>>> small and my eyes are not the best.
>>>
>>> when i place the cursor over it, a balloon opens that says, "updates are
>>> ready for your computer. click here to install these updates."
>>>
>>> the icon does not say what it is or where it comes from or what updates
>>> will be loaded for what program.
>>>
>>> when i right clicked it looking for "properties," it opens with 2
>>> options, "express install" or "custom install," which is the same result
>>> if you give it a left click.
>>>
>>> when clicked on, a new window opens up, there is a windows icon in this
>>> window. the title bar says, "automatic updates."
>>>
>>> can someone explain to me what this new entitiy is, please? if it's from
>>> microsoft, we all know they have had some questionable programs in the
>>> past. i hesitate to simply install updates from them without knowing
>>> what the heck they are or what they do.
>>>
>>> am i being paranoid?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> sammy

>> Good you noticed that-- it's placed there by the tooth fairy.
>>
>> If you click on it and install the updates, your computer will be
>> connected to the fairy.net and try to have sex with other male computers.
>>

> And what makes you think the tooth fairy is gay?

Did you happen to notice his last name?

WhzzKdd

"J. H. Holliday" <doc@ok> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:blwTh.237$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "J. H. Holliday" <doc@ok> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
>>> news:461e66ce$0$24760$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Good you noticed that-- it's placed there by the tooth fairy.
>>>
>>> If you click on it and install the updates, your computer will be
>>> connected to the fairy.net and try to have sex with other male
>>> computers.
>>>

>> And what makes you think the tooth fairy is gay?
>>

> Did you happen to notice his last name?

Heh heh!

True story. About 15 years ago I needed a dentist. I saw an office across
the street, and walked in to make an appointment. No problem. I should up on
October 31st for my appointment, to be greeted by an entire staff in tutus.
Even the 6' plus tall male dentist, who's name tag read "Tooth Fairy". Had I
not been in excruciating pain, I just might have turned around a walked out
<g>

sammy

news:66vTh.21$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Meat Plow,
>>
>> how do i shut it off?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> sammy
>>

> You WANT to leave your PC unprotected from exploits that MS is trying to
> FIX? What a maroon. Unplug that PC from the Internet - the rest of the
> world doesn't want the crap your system is soon going to be spreading
> around.

whzzzkdd, i'm just an old **** who doesn't know much about computers but i
do my best to avoid receiving or spreading crap around with my system.
(thank you by the way, for pointing out the difference between the taskbar
and system tray).

i have some decent **** running in that system tray and have experienced no
problems thus far.

i just freaked out when that icon just appeared out of nowhere (but
obviously it came from somewhere) with so little info about what it was. i'm
still curious as to why, after 2 years of running XP, it just appeared!?!

anyway, i shall heed your advice and use the custom install and do some
reading on what is being offered. everything i know about computers (which
obviously ain't much) is self-taught/learned.

remember, i'm old, but i'm trying to stay current computer wise

newspapers are dying, i think, because of computers. but i still take the
newspaper in the shitter with me. we're on fixed incomes here. if i run out
of toilet paper, i can't wipe my ass with a wireless laptop, can i? (on
second thought, i suppose i could but some of them have sharp corners).

god bless bushmill's,

sammy