Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mozilla problem

Mozilla problem

Super Duper MMI

When I open Mozilla Firefox I get the following error. Dont know what Ive
done to change things? Can anyone help, Im going to go mad if I have to use
IE for much longer! It does it for every page I go to, same error

TIA

"
Error

The requested item could not be loaded by the proxy.

Proxy server is unable to locate the server: www.google.com. The server
does not have a DNS entry. Check the server name in the Location (URL) and
try again.

Proxy server at sfttdt02 on port 80"

why?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:18:13 GMT, Super Duper MMI wrote:

Is this at home or at work?

>When I open Mozilla Firefox I get the following error. Dont know what Ive

Since when?

>done to change things? Can anyone help, Im going to go mad if I have to use

It's always that - "Dont know what Ive done"

>IE for much longer! It does it for every page I go to, same error

If you need to use a proxy server, and you only know it's name is
"sfttdt02" and you enter that in the IE settings the same thing will
happen.

Then again if IE is working, check the settings in

Tools / Options / Internet Options / Connections / LAN settings /

Either the

Use automatic configuration script
Proxy server

and use those settings in Mozilla

Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Proxies

If your home ISP , the (IE) Moz settings may just be blank.

> The requested item could not be loaded by the proxy.

The proxy server you have Moz set to use is having a problem looking up
the address for google.

> Proxy server is unable to locate the server: www.google.com. The server
>does not have a DNS entry. Check the server name in the Location (URL) and
>try again.

<snip>

>Proxy server at sfttdt02 on port 80"

If you are at home and that's your ISPs proxy, call your ISP and get the
correct settings.

If it's at work call the helpdesk.

Me

Super Duper MMI

Million thanks 'why'!

Its on my home PC. Changed it to Network settings, auto detect ticked. It
was on manual proxy configuration. These are settings I wouldnt muck about
with so its strange how it all went wrong! All working now!

Thanks again!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:18:13 GMT, Super Duper MMI wrote:
>
> Is this at home or at work?
>
>>When I open Mozilla Firefox I get the following error. Dont know what Ive

> Since when?
>
>>done to change things? Can anyone help, Im going to go mad if I have to
>>use

> It's always that - "Dont know what Ive done"
>
>>IE for much longer! It does it for every page I go to, same error

> If you need to use a proxy server, and you only know it's name is
> "sfttdt02" and you enter that in the IE settings the same thing will
> happen.
>
> Then again if IE is working, check the settings in
>
> Tools / Options / Internet Options / Connections / LAN settings /
>
> Either the
>
> Use automatic configuration script
> Proxy server
>
> and use those settings in Mozilla
>
> Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Proxies
>
> If your home ISP , the (IE) Moz settings may just be blank.

>> The requested item could not be loaded by the proxy.

> The proxy server you have Moz set to use is having a problem looking up
> the address for google.
>
>> Proxy server is unable to locate the server: www.google.com. The server
>>does not have a DNS entry. Check the server name in the Location (URL) and
>>try again.

> <snip>
>

>>Proxy server at sfttdt02 on port 80"

> If you are at home and that's your ISPs proxy, call your ISP and get the
> correct settings.
>
> If it's at work call the helpdesk.
>
> Me

why?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:56:42 GMT, Super Duper MMI wrote:

>Million thanks 'why'!
>
>Its on my home PC. Changed it to Network settings, auto detect ticked. It
>was on manual proxy configuration. These are settings I wouldnt muck about
>with so its strange how it all went wrong! All working now!

It's not common for IE to discover an automatic proxy settings, IIRC it
has to see WPAD messages saying - I am a proxy, here are the settings
via DHCP/DNS.

You may just have auto set and it is timing out so you actually don't
have a proxy to use. Then unticking auto detect works just as well.

It all really depends on if your 2 browsers now have the same or
different settings, you didn't mention what IE was.

>Thanks again!

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:18:13 GMT, Super Duper MMI wrote:
>>
>> Is this at home or at work?
>>
>>>When I open Mozilla Firefox I get the following error. Dont know what Ive

>> Since when?
>>
>>>done to change things? Can anyone help, Im going to go mad if I have to
>>>use

>> It's always that - "Dont know what Ive done"
>>
>>>IE for much longer! It does it for every page I go to, same error

>> If you need to use a proxy server, and you only know it's name is
>> "sfttdt02" and you enter that in the IE settings the same thing will
>> happen.
>>
>> Then again if IE is working, check the settings in
>>
>> Tools / Options / Internet Options / Connections / LAN settings /
>>
>> Either the
>>
>> Use automatic configuration script
>> Proxy server
>>
>> and use those settings in Mozilla
>>
>> Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Proxies
>>
>> If your home ISP , the (IE) Moz settings may just be blank.

<snip>

Me

Mike

I'm not all that impressed with Firefox..anyone else?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm not all that impressed with Firefox..anyone else?

I've installed it and used it very little myself.

I use Opera (www.opera.com) and have been for a long while, I really
like it.

--

http://www.iiiiiiii.com/?

Robb

Your search for --
"Results 1 - 10 of about 42 for 1 - 10 of about 114 for of about 46 for of
about 5,380,000,000 >- for -> to"

Did not return any ****in' results.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...000%20for%20to

Was good until I hit videosearch.

--
Robb

why?

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:11:01 -0500, Mike wrote:

>I'm not all that impressed with Firefox..anyone else?

Top posing and no snipping and changing the subject all in 1 go

I like it, Although SeaMonkey is usually my default. Depends what you
want out of it.

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:56:42 GMT, Super Duper MMI wrote:
>>
>>>Million thanks 'why'!
>>>
>>>Its on my home PC. Changed it to Network settings, auto detect ticked. It
>>>was on manual proxy configuration. These are settings I wouldnt muck about
>>>with so its strange how it all went wrong! All working now!

>> It's not common for IE to discover an automatic proxy settings, IIRC it
>> has to see WPAD messages saying - I am a proxy, here are the settings
>> via DHCP/DNS.

<big snip>

Me