Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > BT newsgroups or a free newsserver?

BT newsgroups or a free newsserver?

Kenny

This is for my daughter.
She has BT broadband but searching their Support we can't find any reference
to ng's. Do they have a newsserver or not, if they do where is it?
If not can anyone recommend a free newsserver? I have in the past used
cheap56k.com but although she has signed up there's no sign of a
confirmation e-mail with settings etc.
Have tried dozens of free ones found on Google but whilst she can read she
can't post on any, always error 440 or 441, posting not allowed.

--

Kenny

Flying Rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> This is for my daughter.
> She has BT broadband but searching their Support we can't find any reference
> to ng's. Do they have a newsserver or not, if they do where is it?
> If not can anyone recommend a free newsserver? I have in the past used
> cheap56k.com but although she has signed up there's no sign of a
> confirmation e-mail with settings etc.
> Have tried dozens of free ones found on Google but whilst she can read she
> can't post on any, always error 440 or 441, posting not allowed.

news.btopenworld.com

It is now a Giganews outsourced server so it's better than it was in the
past.

FR

Whiskers

On 2007-04-12, Kenny <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is for my daughter.
> She has BT broadband but searching their Support we can't find any reference
> to ng's. Do they have a newsserver or not, if they do where is it?
> If not can anyone recommend a free newsserver? I have in the past used
> cheap56k.com but although she has signed up there's no sign of a
> confirmation e-mail with settings etc.
> Have tried dozens of free ones found on Google but whilst she can read she
> can't post on any, always error 440 or 441, posting not allowed.

This is confusing. It seems that "BT Total Broadband" don't provide a
news-server:

..-----<http://www2.bt.com/searchresult?siteArea=con.mya>
| You searched Personal for newsgroups
| 1 to 1 of 1 results
| 1. BT Total Broadband and newsgroups
| BT Total Broadband does not provide its own news servers but you can still
| access other providers' newsgroups
'-----

But, if your account is with BT Yahoo (the successor to BT Openworld, and
before that BT Internet), then logging in to <http://home.bt.yahoo.com/>
you can click on 'Help' at the bottom of the page, and if you then click
on 'Email' in the section 'Popular support topics', you can scroll down
and find these instructions:

Newsgroups

How do I subscribe to newsgroups using Outlook Express?
What are newsgroups?
Newsgroups for BT Internet users
How do I subscribe to newsgroups using Windows Mail?

I don't use my BT dial-up account much these days, having broadband from
another supplier, but I can telnet to news.btinternet.com and get a
response that indicates there is a news-server there (claiming to be
Giganews, in fact).

So try connecting to news.btinternet.com from your daughter's connection,
possibly using her username and password if you can't get a response
without them, and see what happens. It wouldn't be the first time BT's
own information for customers conflicted with the services actually
available. (If that works, please let us know; other customers might find
the message and benefit from it).

Failing that, it is well worth considering signing up with one (or more)
of the public news service providers - a web search will give you a list
to get started with. For text groups only, I can recommend the one I use,
which costs 10 Euros a year; read about it here
<http://www.individual.net/>.

Free news-servers are scarce and often fleeting, and you tend to get what
you pay for. Cheap56k.com seems to have ceased providing a news-server,
although you wouldn't think so from their web site and I don't remember any
announcement. If your daughter really can't afford to pay for newsgroups,
then the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers is the place to look for current
information (and you can get there via Google Groups, as a last resort).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Kenny

Thanks for the replies, will pass on the info and post back.

--

Kenny
"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> the message and benefit from it).
>
> Failing that, it is well worth considering signing up with one (or more)
> of the public news service providers - a web search will give you a list
> to get started with. For text groups only, I can recommend the one I use,
> which costs 10 Euros a year; read about it here
> <http://www.individual.net/>.
>
> Free news-servers are scarce and often fleeting, and you tend to get what
> you pay for. Cheap56k.com seems to have ceased providing a news-server,
> although you wouldn't think so from their web site and I don't remember
> any
> announcement. If your daughter really can't afford to pay for newsgroups,
> then the newsgroup alt.free.newsservers is the place to look for current
> information (and you can get there via Google Groups, as a last resort).

noalternative

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:59:30 +0100, Kenny wrote:

I don't know anything about bt broadband, but if you need a free news
server for just the text groups motzarella.org is the best. I also like
detemas.de. Both require signup. aioe.org is ok and doesn't require an
account.

--
Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."