Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > computer problem

computer problem

Jimbo

WinXP Pro, laptop,
Computer keeps making sound like vacumn cleaner, nornally comes and goes and
sometimes lasts maybe seconds, but real loud. Seems to be quite often when I
am using IE. looked in Task Manager and when this noise occurs the cpu
usage peaks then as it decreases the noise stops, when it peaks again the
noise starts again/
Glenn

Brian

Jimbo wrote:
> WinXP Pro, laptop,
> Computer keeps making sound like vacumn cleaner, nornally comes and
> goes and sometimes lasts maybe seconds, but real loud. Seems to be
> quite often when I am using IE. looked in Task Manager and when
> this noise occurs the cpu usage peaks then as it decreases the
> noise stops, when it peaks again the noise starts again/
> Glenn

Dirty/noisy fan, try cleaning any vents & if possible get a Laptop
cooler/stand to help keep it cool..

Meat Plow

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:46:47 +0100, Jimbo wrote:

> WinXP Pro, laptop,
> Computer keeps making sound like vacumn cleaner, nornally comes and goes and
> sometimes lasts maybe seconds, but real loud. Seems to be quite often when I
> am using IE. looked in Task Manager and when this noise occurs the cpu
> usage peaks then as it decreases the noise stops, when it peaks again the
> noise starts again/
> Glenn

Mechanical noise from inside the case or from your speakers?
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

Jimbo

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:46:47 +0100, Jimbo wrote:
>
>> WinXP Pro, laptop,
>> Computer keeps making sound like vacumn cleaner, nornally comes and goes
>> and
>> sometimes lasts maybe seconds, but real loud. Seems to be quite often
>> when I
>> am using IE. looked in Task Manager and when this noise occurs the cpu
>> usage peaks then as it decreases the noise stops, when it peaks again the
>> noise starts again/
>> Glenn

> Mechanical noise from inside the case or from your speakers?
> --
> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
> COOSN-266-06-25794
>
>No noise from inside just this loud whooshing noise stop and start, then
>goes really quite ,you would not think it was turned on

Glenn

Meat Plow

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:02:29 +0100, Jimbo wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:46:47 +0100, Jimbo wrote:
>>
>>> WinXP Pro, laptop,
>>> Computer keeps making sound like vacumn cleaner, nornally comes and goes
>>> and
>>> sometimes lasts maybe seconds, but real loud. Seems to be quite often
>>> when I
>>> am using IE. looked in Task Manager and when this noise occurs the cpu
>>> usage peaks then as it decreases the noise stops, when it peaks again the
>>> noise starts again/
>>> Glenn

>> Mechanical noise from inside the case or from your speakers?
>> --
>> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
>> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
>> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
>> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>> COOSN-266-06-25794
>>
>>No noise from inside just this loud whooshing noise stop and start, then
>>goes really quite ,you would not think it was turned on

> Glenn

Well it almost sounds to me as if the cooling fan is cranking up on high.
Try blowing the fan ducts out with some canned air.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

Jimbo

Will get some tomorrow, just spray it into all the vents, yes?
Glenn
"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:02:29 +0100, Jimbo wrote:
>

>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

>>> Mechanical noise from inside the case or from your speakers?
>>> --
>>> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
>>> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
>>> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
>>> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
>>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>>> COOSN-266-06-25794
>>>
>>>No noise from inside just this loud whooshing noise stop and start, then
>>>goes really quite ,you would not think it was turned on

>> Glenn

> Well it almost sounds to me as if the cooling fan is cranking up on high.
> Try blowing the fan ducts out with some canned air.
>
> --
> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
> COOSN-266-06-25794

Blinky the Shark

Jimbo wrote:
> Will get some tomorrow, just spray it into all the vents, yes?
> Glenn
> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:02:29 +0100, Jimbo wrote:
>>

>>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

>>> Glenn

>> Well it almost sounds to me as if the cooling fan is cranking up on high.
>> Try blowing the fan ducts out with some canned air.
>>
>> --
>> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
>> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
>> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
>> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
>> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
>> COOSN-266-06-25794

No, open the case and spray the fans. And while you're there, clean out
all the rest of the cat hair.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Meat Plow

It's a laptop.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

Meat Plow

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:18:41 +0100, Jimbo wrote:

> Will get some tomorrow, just spray it into all the vents, yes?
> Glenn

Should be able to tell which ones are for the cpu, usually in the rear
left or right corner. Might leave it one for awhile first and feel where
it's the warmest or feel for some air movement. Or you might see the
outline of a fan behind some slots. Once you've made the detrmination shut
it down and spray the fan vents. There might even be 2 fans, my HP has 3
and my Asus has 2 as the amount of fans depends on the cpu horsepower.

Aardvark

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:46:47 +0100, Jimbo wrote:

> WinXP Pro, laptop,
> Computer keeps making sound like vacumn cleaner, nornally comes and goes and
> sometimes lasts maybe seconds, but real loud. Seems to be quite often when I
> am using IE. looked in Task Manager and when this noise occurs the cpu
> usage peaks then as it decreases the noise stops, when it peaks again the
> noise starts again/
> Glenn

In order to help you with your problem we need more details. You say it
makes a sound like a vacuum cleaner. Is it a Dyson, Electrolux, Vax, GEC,
Hoover? What wattage? Upright or cylinder?

Without more specifics you won't get a proper answer.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06