Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Constant XP Crashes

Constant XP Crashes

geordie_lad_2k4@hotmail.com

Hi all,

I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
(sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
details of the error are as follows:

BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3: F86448D8
BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1

Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
\WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.xml

Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.

Thanks in advance,

Geordie

Gordon

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
> (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
> and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
> restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
> details of the error are as follows:
>
> BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3: F86448D8
> BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1
>

> Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
> \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
> C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.xml
>
> Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
> technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
> would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
> Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Geordie

An answer to all your problems:
www.ubuntu.com

Meat Plow

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:44:09 -0700, geordie_lad_2k4 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
> (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
> and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
> restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
> details of the error are as follows:
>
> BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3: F86448D8
> BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1
>

> Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
> \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
> C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.xml
>
> Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
> technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
> would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
> Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Geordie

Download and run a memory testing utility and see if you've got some bad
RAM.

http://www.memtest.org/

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

Flirt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
> (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
> and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
> restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
> details of the error are as follows:
>
> BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3: F86448D8
> BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1
>

> Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
> \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
> C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.xml
>
> Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
> technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
> would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
> Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Geordie

That error is listed in the MS knowledge base, it is a common backdoor
infection, so assumed you do not have uptodate anti-virus/firewall?
It will involve editing your Registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903251/en-us

You could try a free full online anti-virus scan first:
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

It is, or is a variant of the HaxDoor virus, this being a backdoor
that allows any remote scans access. All uptodate anti-virus
will have definitions and would have caught it.
Once (and if) your PC is cleaned up, install a proper AV/firewall.

Jerry Attic

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:44:09 -0700, geordie_lad_2k4 wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
>> (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
>> and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
>> restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
>> details of the error are as follows:
>>
>> BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3:
>> F86448D8 BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0
>> Product: 768_1
>>

>> Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
>> \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
>> C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.x
>> ml
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
>> technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
>> would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
>> Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Geordie

> Download and run a memory testing utility and see if you've got some
> bad RAM.
>
> http://www.memtest.org/

Like Meatplow said, it's probably bad RAM.Grogan's suggestion of Ubuntu
wouldn't help because the OS WOULD STILL **** UP WITH BAD RAM. You might
want to also get a copy of the ultimate boot cd. You can find it at
www.majorgeek.com

Jerry

Meat Plow

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:15:35 +0200, Jerry Attic wrote:

> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:44:09 -0700, geordie_lad_2k4 wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
>>> (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
>>> and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
>>> restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
>>> details of the error are as follows:
>>>
>>> BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3:
>>> F86448D8 BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0
>>> Product: 768_1
>>>

>>> Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
>>> \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
>>> C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.x
>>> ml
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
>>> technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
>>> would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
>>> Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Geordie

>> Download and run a memory testing utility and see if you've got some
>> bad RAM.
>>
>> http://www.memtest.org/

> Like Meatplow said, it's probably bad RAM.Grogan's suggestion of Ubuntu
> wouldn't help because the OS WOULD STILL **** UP WITH BAD RAM. You might
> want to also get a copy of the ultimate boot cd. You can find it at
> www.majorgeek.com
>
> Jerry

Well he could download the ubuntu cd and use it to boot then use the
memory testor included

I use Kubuntu and had a problem with one of my laptops doing some weird
****. The bundled memtest utility on the Kubuntu cd tracked it down quick.
Maybe that's what grogan was eluding to LOL

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

ProfGene

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
> (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
> and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
> restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
> details of the error are as follows:
>
> BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3: F86448D8
> BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1
>

> Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
> \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
> C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.xml
>
> Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
> technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
> would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
> Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Geordie

I don't know what the error message is referring to but one source of
crashes on XP would be incompatible drivers for hardware such as a video
card and another might be bad or incompatible RAM.

geordie_lad_2k4@hotmail.com

On 12 Apr, 05:08, ProfGene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
> > (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
> > and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
> > restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
> > details of the error are as follows:

> > BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3: F86448D8
> > BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1

> > Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
> > \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
> > C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.xml

> > Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
> > technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
> > would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
> > Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Geordie

> I don't know what the error message is referring to but one source of
> crashes on XP would be incompatible drivers for hardware such as a video
> card and another might be bad or incompatible RAM.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to everyone for all your responses. I have checked my RAM and
it appears to be working fine with MemTest - and I have up to date
Antivirus with AVG and firewall with ZoneAlarm monitoring my system. I
have done a full scan and this has unearthed no viruses, nor did F-
Secure Blacklight Protection.

Having eliminated the possibility of faulty RAM and / or a Virus does
anyone have any other ideas? Thanks again, I really appreciate your
help.

Geordie.

Daave

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 12 Apr, 05:08, ProfGene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hi all,

>>> I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
>>> (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
>>> and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my
>>> computer restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious
>>> error. The details of the error are as follows:

>>> BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3: F86448D8
>>> BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product:
>>> 768_1

>>> Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
>>> \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
>>>
>>> C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.xml

>>> Does anybody have any idea what this would point to? I have no
>>> technical knowledge of any great depth so it means nothing to me. I
>>> would appreciate any help with this. I am running Windows XP with a
>>> Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor and 512mb RAM.

>>> Thanks in advance,

>>> Geordie

>> I don't know what the error message is referring to but one source of
>> crashes on XP would be incompatible drivers for hardware such as a
>> video
>> card and another might be bad or incompatible RAM.- Hide quoted text
>> -

> Thanks to everyone for all your responses. I have checked my RAM and
> it appears to be working fine with MemTest - and I have up to date
> Antivirus with AVG and firewall with ZoneAlarm monitoring my system. I
> have done a full scan and this has unearthed no viruses, nor did F-
> Secure Blacklight Protection.
>
> Having eliminated the possibility of faulty RAM and / or a Virus does
> anyone have any other ideas? Thanks again, I really appreciate your
> help.

As ProfGene stated, you should probably update your graphics card
drivers.

why?

On 12 Apr 2007 04:17:40 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On 12 Apr, 05:08, ProfGene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > Hi all,

>> > I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing at random points
>> > (sometimes a few minutes after startup, and sometimes not for hours)
>> > and restarting itself. It always brings up a message when my computer
>> > restarts saying that Windows has recovered from a serious error. The
>> > details of the error are as follows:

>> > BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: 805CFFC9 BCP3: F86448D8
>> > BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1

Doesn't mean a lot comapred to what the event log might say.

>> > Error Report Contents: C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp
>> > \WERb012.dir00\Mini041107-02.dmp
>> > C:\DOCUME~1\User1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb012.dir00\sysd ata.xml

That's just the MS memory dump and report output.

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
This article describes how to use Event Viewer to view and manage event
logs in Microsoft Windows XP. Event Viewer In Windows XP, an event is
any ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427 - Similar pages

If you have a look in the system and application logs you may see an
entry that matches the time of the crash.

If may help if you can get the details from the log entry for

- Event ID
- Source

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

<snip>