Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Xerces 2.7 vs 1.6 performance problem

Xerces 2.7 vs 1.6 performance problem

Bryan

Hi,

We have an application that we just upgraded to xerces-c-2_7_0-win32.
This same application used to use xerces-c1_6_0-win32.

We didnt change any other code in our app other than the xerces libs and
dlls that were used.

We are loading up large (>20mb) xml files using DOM (we should use SAX,
I know)- in 1.6 we can parse through the file and pull data on the order
of 10sec. With 2.7, this same parsing takes more than 10 _minutes_!!!!!

I have been scouring the net looking for info, but I am not an xml
expert, nor am I particularly familiar with xerces.

Can any offer any suggestions as to where I might look or clues as to
what might be going on? I found some info on deferred node expansion,
but I really dont know if this can explain this differece.

Thanks,
Bryan

Joseph Kesselman

Have you tried asking on Xerces' own mailing list? That's where you're
most likely to find folks who have current understanding of the
internals of the parser and where possible bottlenecks might be. (My own
best guess is that you're having a swapping problem, but it's been years
since I looked at the Xerces-C code so I really can't advise you.)

Bryan

Joseph Kesselman wrote:
> Have you tried asking on Xerces' own mailing list? That's where you're
> most likely to find folks who have current understanding of the
> internals of the parser and where possible bottlenecks might be. (My own
> best guess is that you're having a swapping problem, but it's been years
> since I looked at the Xerces-C code so I really can't advise you.)

Didn't try the mailing list yet- hate those things, you get spammed with
a load of emails and they are a pain to subscribe to.

But I think I will have no choice but to give it a go soon...

Joe Kesselman

> Didn't try the mailing list yet- hate those things, you get spammed with
> a load of emails and they are a pain to subscribe to.

Apache's mailing lists are almost completely spam-free, in my
experience. If you need expertise specifically about Apache code, they
really are the best place to find it.

Boris Kolpackov

Hi,

Bryan <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Can any offer any suggestions as to where I might look or clues as to
> what might be going on?

It is hard to say what exactly is causing this without seeing the
code. My guess is that in order to support requirements of future
DOM versions (e.g., DOM level 3), the implementation has changed
and become less efficient. Here is a blog post about two DOM API
functions that can slow things down significantly:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/~boris/...-dom-potholes/

Also the Xerces-C++ mailing list is a better place for this kind of
questions.

hth,
-boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC

Joseph Kesselman

Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> It is hard to say what exactly is causing this without seeing the
> code. My guess is that in order to support requirements of future
> DOM versions (e.g., DOM level 3), the implementation has changed
> and become less efficient.

If you can supply samples to the Xerces developers, I'm sure they'll be
interested in investigating what has changed and improving it if they can.

Appropos of
http://www.codesynthesis.com/~boris/...-dom-potholes/
.... For years, I've been telling people that the semantice of nodelists,
specifically "live view" behavior, are a set of bugs and performance
disasters waiting to happen. The DOM Level 2 Traversal chapter provides
alternatives that can be implemented much more efficiently... or, as
suggested on the website, you can switch to explicit traversal.