Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Novice Needs Help Editing Web Page

Novice Needs Help Editing Web Page

Clueless in Seattle

I'm disabled by chronic fatigue syndrom (CFS) and have difficulty
sitting up at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time so
it's a challenge to try to maintain a web page I started years ago.

A few years ago I created a web page for the Seattle CFS Support Group
using a Geo-Cities web builder program.

http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

So far so good.

Then I got an HTML book from the library and started tinkering with
the tags. After my tinkering the Geo-Cities page builder software
wouldn't work anymore, so I was stuck trying to maintain the page
without a GUI interface.

Then I became so sick I lost my job, became homeless for a year and a
half, was finally approved for Social Security disability benefits and
got into a public housing apartment complex.

Over the years of my trying to maintain the page without really
knowing what I was doing, the layout of the page has got out of my
control, but so much time had passed that I forgot what I did exactly
when I was making changes. I'm hoping someone in this group might be
willing to help me get the page back into shape.

The main problem right now is an email link that has slipped down into
a white area so it can't be seen anymore. At least I think that's
what's happened.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post HTML code in messages so I'll just
post the first line of the item:

<!-- "BEGIN EMAIL US" -->

I'd like this email link to appear on the left hand side of the page,
near the bottom of the orange strip that contains the "Mission
Statement." Could someone help me with that?

Also, the Mission Statement used to be formatted so the text stayed
inside the orange strip. Now it bleeds over the right margin into the
white space. I'd be grateful for some help fixing that too.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Ben C

On 2007-04-15, Clueless in Seattle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm disabled by chronic fatigue syndrom (CFS) and have difficulty
> sitting up at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time so
> it's a challenge to try to maintain a web page I started years ago.
>
> A few years ago I created a web page for the Seattle CFS Support Group
> using a Geo-Cities web builder program.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
>
> So far so good.

[...]
> The main problem right now is an email link that has slipped down into
> a white area so it can't be seen anymore. At least I think that's
> what's happened.

That is just what has happened. You have <font color=#FFFFFF> around the
email link, and it's ended up on part of the page which has a white
background, camouflaging it perfectly.

> I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post HTML code in messages so I'll just
> post the first line of the item:
>
><!-- "BEGIN EMAIL US" -->
>
> I'd like this email link to appear on the left hand side of the page,
> near the bottom of the orange strip that contains the "Mission
> Statement." Could someone help me with that?

The problem is your mission statement paragraphs go on for so long that
there's no orange background left.

> Also, the Mission Statement used to be formatted so the text stayed
> inside the orange strip. Now it bleeds over the right margin into the
> white space. I'd be grateful for some help fixing that too.

The real problem here is that that orange strip is not really part of
the page. It's just a background image with the page projected on top of
it. If you're lucky things end up in the right places, but this is a
very risky way to do things.

The quickest fix would just be to give the email link its default
colours. Just get rid of the <font> tag around it altogether. Then at
least it will be visible, whether it lands on the orange bit or not.

If you want to change things much beyond that just start again. The
output from that web builder program you used is not pretty and no fun
to maintain by hand.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Clueless in Seattle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I'm disabled by chronic fatigue syndrom (CFS) and have difficulty
> sitting up at my computer for more than a few minutes at a time so
> it's a challenge to try to maintain a web page I started years ago.
>
> A few years ago I created a web page for the Seattle CFS Support Group
> using a Geo-Cities web builder program.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
>

> I'd like this email link to appear on the left hand side of the page,
> near the bottom of the orange strip that contains the "Mission
> Statement." Could someone help me with that?
>
> Also, the Mission Statement used to be formatted so the text stayed
> inside the orange strip. Now it bleeds over the right margin into the
> white space. I'd be grateful for some help fixing that too.
>
> Will in Seattle
> a.k.a. "Clueless"

If you want to do as little as possible because of your
condition, just do this and the email link will always be more or
less visible:

Change:

href="(E-Mail Removed)"><font color="#ffffff"
face="Arial Black" size="-1"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Email

href="(E-Mail Removed)"><font color="#000000"
face="Arial Black" size="-1"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Email

May God have mercy on my soul. May my crime be balanced by the
motive of compassion.

As for confining the text to the orange, that is a little bit
more work and needs a bit of redesign.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:

> href="(E-Mail Removed)"><font color="#000000"
> face="Arial Black" size="-1"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Email

Or just:

Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <492a5$4622b4bb$40cba7c0$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> dorayme wrote:

> > href="(E-Mail Removed)"><font color="#000000"
> > face="Arial Black" size="-1"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Email

> Or just:

Of course, you can go on and on. But you obviously don't
understand the condition op has! My proposal was for least change
and therefore least strain on the syndrome.

--
dorayme