Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > testing browser comptability?

testing browser comptability?

Jon Slaughter

How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to install
every browser?

Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let you
turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS, etc...

I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for backwards
compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of crap on my computer
just for this reason.

thanks,
Jon

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jon Slaughter wrote:

> How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to
> install every browser?

Install several. No need to install hundreds. You have IE (and should
test in IE6, too), you have Firefox, add Opera, and maybe OffByOne just
for fun.

> Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let
> you turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS,
> etc...

Install this extension in Firefox:
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
The PrefBar is also worthy; kill JavaScript and others with a toolbar
checkbox.
http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

> I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for
> backwards compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of
> crap on my computer just for this reason.

This web developer toolbar is definitely not crap. Well worth it.

--
-bts

Jon Slaughter

news:5LRTh.295335$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jon Slaughter wrote:
>
>> How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to
>> install every browser?

> Install several. No need to install hundreds. You have IE (and should
> test in IE6, too), you have Firefox, add Opera, and maybe OffByOne just
> for fun.
>
>> Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let
>> you turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS,
>> etc...

> Install this extension in Firefox:
> http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
> The PrefBar is also worthy; kill JavaScript and others with a toolbar
> checkbox.
> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
>
>> I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for
>> backwards compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of
>> crap on my computer just for this reason.

> This web developer toolbar is definitely not crap. Well worth it.
>
> --

Ok, I hae a few of these things installed but after I installed them firefox
crashes randomly. This happened, I think, when the new upgrade came out. I
just disabled most of the things I had to find out which ones are causing
the problem.

Thanks,
Jon

Bergamot

Jon Slaughter wrote:

> Ok, I hae a few of these things installed but after I installed them firefox
> crashes randomly. This happened, I think, when the new upgrade came out.

When you upgrade Firefox, you should also check for upgrades to your
installed extensions. Incompatible versions can easily cause the browser
to become unstable.

--
Berg

Jon Slaughter

"Bergamot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jon Slaughter wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I hae a few of these things installed but after I installed them
>> firefox
>> crashes randomly. This happened, I think, when the new upgrade came out.

> When you upgrade Firefox, you should also check for upgrades to your
> installed extensions. Incompatible versions can easily cause the browser
> to become unstable.

I did but there were no upgrades. Right now I disabled everything because it
was still crashing. See if the plugins are the real problem or not.

Thanks,
Jon

mr rudeforth

"Jon Slaughter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KtRTh.8942$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to

install
> every browser?
>
> Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let you
> turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS, etc...
>
> I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for

backwards
> compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of crap on my

computer
> just for this reason.

http://browsershots.org/

stick url in
goes to new page
tick all browser options required
tick 4hours
save page to desktop for an easy return to look at the damage

Jon Slaughter

"mr rudeforth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "Jon Slaughter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KtRTh.8942$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> How does one go about testing browser comptability without having to

> install
>> every browser?
>>
>> Is there a small browser like utility that will display html but let you
>> turn off(or its simply not implemented) features like css, JS, etc...
>>
>> I have firefox 2.0 and IE 7 but I cannot turn off css to test for

> backwards
>> compatibility. I also don't want to install a bunch of crap on my

> computer
>> just for this reason.
>>

> http://browsershots.org/
>
> stick url in
> goes to new page
> tick all browser options required
> tick 4hours
> save page to desktop for an easy return to look at the damage

Awesome. I was wondering if something like this has been done. Next they
just need to add the ability for an interactive testing. (maybe something
like VNC)

Thanks,
Jon

scripts.contact

On Apr 14, 2:16 pm, "mr rudeforth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://browsershots.org/
>
> stick url in
> goes to new page
> tick all browser options required
> tick 4hours
> save page to desktop for an easy return to look at the damage

this one is better-
http://www.totalvalidator.com/valida...rForm?type=url

Bergamot

Jon Slaughter wrote:
> "mr rudeforth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>>

>> http://browsershots.org/

> Awesome.

Not really. It can only give a very general idea of how any particular
browser will render a page. It does not tell you how it handles
variations in text or window size, what happens with JavaScript (or with
it disabled) and a host of other variable browser settings.

If you rely only on this service to test your pages, you'll be disappointed.

--
Berg

mr rudeforth

"Bergamot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jon Slaughter wrote:
> > "mr rudeforth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >>>
> >> http://browsershots.org/

> > Awesome.

> Not really. It can only give a very general idea of how any particular
> browser will render a page. It does not tell you how it handles
> variations in text or window size, what happens with JavaScript (or with
> it disabled) and a host of other variable browser settings.
>
> If you rely only on this service to test your pages, you'll be

disappointed.

i rely on it for layoutonly so it is fine.
oh and it can be configured how you wish in regards to javascript, etc