Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > RMI Login and Threads

RMI Login and Threads

HeidiWeber

Hallo

im new to RMI. Ive made the RMI Tutorial from SUN. I have first 2
questions:

1)
If more clients connect to the server. Becomes every client
automaticaly his own thread thread? Or must i implement "thread
programming"?

2)
I want to realise user autentification by ID and Password. Is there a
"simple" solution for this problem - perhabs a tutorial? Or how can i
do this? How can i ensure the methods, the whole server?

Best regards
cu
Heidi

Daniel Pitts

On Apr 15, 2:32 am, "HeidiWeber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hallo
>
> im new to RMI. Ive made the RMI Tutorial from SUN. I have first 2
> questions:
>
> 1)
> If more clients connect to the server. Becomes every client
> automaticaly his own thread thread? Or must i implement "thread
> programming"?
>
> 2)
> I want to realise user autentification by ID and Password. Is there a
> "simple" solution for this problem - perhabs a tutorial? Or how can i
> do this? How can i ensure the methods, the whole server?
>
> Best regards
> cu
> Heidi

Hello Heidi, (That's my Wife's name too)
With RMI, the threads are created and handled automatically for you,
but you must be aware that your methods might be called by several
threads, and handle them accordingly. I suggest reading "Java
Concurrency in Practice" <http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/>
to learn about the proper ways to handle this.

For your second question, this is no "simple" answer... This is also a
broad topic.
First, you have to store the user id and password. Preferibly storing
the password in a one-way-function encrypted form.
Second, you *should* try to ensure that the password (in either its
original or encrypted form) is never sent through clear-text. SSL is
often the appropriate choice.
Third, You have to keep track of authenticated sessions.

I hope this helps,
Daniel.

HeidiWeber

How to...

"Daniel Pitts" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
On Apr 15, 2:32 am, "HeidiWeber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hallo
>
> im new to RMI. Ive made the RMI Tutorial from SUN. I have first 2
> questions:
>
> 1)
> If more clients connect to the server. Becomes every client
> automaticaly his own thread thread? Or must i implement "thread
> programming"?
>
> 2)
> I want to realise user autentification by ID and Password. Is there a
> "simple" solution for this problem - perhabs a tutorial? Or how can i
> do this? How can i ensure the methods, the whole server?
>
> Best regards
> cu
> Heidi

Hello Heidi, (That's my Wife's name too)
With RMI, the threads are created and handled automatically for you,
but you must be aware that your methods might be called by several
threads, and handle them accordingly. I suggest reading "Java
Concurrency in Practice" <http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/>
to learn about the proper ways to handle this.

For your second question, this is no "simple" answer... This is also a
broad topic.
First, you have to store the user id and password. Preferibly storing
the password in a one-way-function encrypted form.
Second, you *should* try to ensure that the password (in either its
original or encrypted form) is never sent through clear-text. SSL is
often the appropriate choice.
Third, You have to keep track of authenticated sessions.

I hope this helps,
Daniel.

HeidiWeber

Hello Daniel,

thank you very much for your help.

But can you or someone else give me perhaps an example? Or a tutorial?
Without the problematic with ssl. Thats the next big thema...

Best regards
cu

RMI Concurrent Requests Handled by Different Threads? Reza Java 6 06-13-2005 03:24 PM
Why does java.rmi.Naming not implement interface java.rmi.Registry? Jan Schulze Java 1 03-26-2005 07:45 AM
RMI Vs RMI over IIOP JScoobyCed Java 1 01-28-2005 09:54 AM
RMI, JINI or RMI/IIOP Buu Nguyen Java 1 08-25-2004 11:28 AM
Multiple threads with RMI Dave Rudolf Java 1 11-03-2003 02:45 AM

Advertisments