Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Sequence.nextval numeric type in Oracle 10g differs from Oracle 8i when using MS OleDb provider

Sequence.nextval numeric type in Oracle 10g differs from Oracle 8i when using MS OleDb provider

alasdair.johnson@gmail.com

A bug I noticed which doesn't seem to be posted on usenet, nor
recognized by Oracle (who didn't want to help unless we had been using
their ADO.NET provider...):

We used to retrieve the sequence id, mysequence.nextval, into ADO.NET.
This was returned as a decimal and so we cast it directly to a
decimal. However, when we upgraded the Oracle database to 10g, the
code broke because the value thus returned was then a double
(which .NET can't seem to cast to a decimal - go figure). We were
using Microsoft's generic OleDb provider to access the Oracle
databases (Provider=MSDAORA.1).

The fix, it turns out, is to use the Oracle OleDb provider (Provider =
OraOLEDB.Oracle). This provides a drop-in replacement for the
Microsoft OleDb provider, and thus obviates the need for making
changes to the code (which for us would have been a pain). Hopefully
there are no significant differences otherwise between the two
providers...

I hope this helps someone else who may also come across this problem.