Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > On Adobe's Flash & Flex in ASP.NET

On Adobe's Flash & Flex in ASP.NET

ASP.NET explorer

I have been asked to create some simple animation using Adobe Flash player
in ASP.NET(C#) web application.

While I am fairly well versed with ASP.NET C#, I absolutely have NO IDEA
about how to say "Hello World" in a Flash enabled web page rendered via
ASP.NET.

Can any one let me get started?

---
By the way, there is a NEWS today about Adobe Flex 2, which I can not
comprehend. There are getting started articles for PHP developers on Adobe's
website but nothing for ASP.NET developers.

http://news.com.com/Adobe+to+open-so...3-6179305.html

It will be nice to hear something from experienced people. Microsoft folks
too are urged to speak something. How Microsfott's Silverlight fits into all
this? Can a person who rely solel on VWD/C# Express count on Silverline?

Thanks in advance !

-- a VWD(C#) Express explorer

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

You have to consider Flash an embedded control in the browser. It has a
completely separate programming model which is radically different from
ASP.NET. ASP.NET ultimately is only going to send HTML to be rendered in
the browser (it's going to be complex, but at its core, that's what it's
doing).

Flash, on the other hand, is going to actually execute within the
browser, and you have have it interact with the page it is hosted in, as
well as the server it came from (I'm not sure what the security restrictions
on flash are, but this would be reasonable to assume, I could be wrong
here).

As for Flex, my understanding of it is that it is Adobe's response to
WPF, meant more for desktop applications, while Silverlight is Microsoft's
attempt to break into the Flash market.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"ASP.NET explorer" <explorer@aspdotnetJungle> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been asked to create some simple animation using Adobe Flash player
>in ASP.NET(C#) web application.
>
> While I am fairly well versed with ASP.NET C#, I absolutely have NO IDEA
> about how to say "Hello World" in a Flash enabled web page rendered via
> ASP.NET.
>
> Can any one let me get started?
>
> ---
> By the way, there is a NEWS today about Adobe Flex 2, which I can not
> comprehend. There are getting started articles for PHP developers on
> Adobe's website but nothing for ASP.NET developers.
>
> http://news.com.com/Adobe+to+open-so...3-6179305.html
>
> It will be nice to hear something from experienced people. Microsoft folks
> too are urged to speak something. How Microsfott's Silverlight fits into
> all this? Can a person who rely solel on VWD/C# Express count on
> Silverline?
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
> -- a VWD(C#) Express explorer

Bryce

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP] wrote:
> You have to consider Flash an embedded control in the browser. It has a
> completely separate programming model which is radically different from
> ASP.NET. ASP.NET ultimately is only going to send HTML to be rendered in
> the browser (it's going to be complex, but at its core, that's what it's
> doing).
>
> Flash, on the other hand, is going to actually execute within the
> browser, and you have have it interact with the page it is hosted in, as
> well as the server it came from (I'm not sure what the security restrictions
> on flash are, but this would be reasonable to assume, I could be wrong
> here).
>
> As for Flex, my understanding of it is that it is Adobe's response to
> WPF, meant more for desktop applications, while Silverlight is Microsoft's
> attempt to break into the Flash market.

Not true. Flex, has been around for a few years now, is Flash for the
server. It allows you to create Flash UIs using XML declarations.
Facilitates remote calls for your Flash client, etc.

More info here;
http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/p...info/overview/

OpenLazlo is an alternative to Flex:
http://www.openlaszlo.org/

bruce barker

flash is browser plugin and plays a flash file stored on your website.
the flash is hosted just like an image. instead of an image tag, you use
an <object> tag. its just html, so nothing special is required to host a
flash file in asp.net.

To build a flash file (swf), you currently need a tool kit from adobe.
this tools kit will be available later this year as open source, but
right now you need to buy one from adobe.

flash file are a series of vector graphics, canvases, behaviors and a
timeline that allows an animated graphic to be displayed. there are
built in events and action such that click on an location can cause an
action to happen.

the flash file can also contain code (they have a version of javascript)
that can also be triggered by events. if you write code, the code can
make webservice (flash remote) calls. flash also supports sending events
to the client.

the flash has a server framework to receive and send events to the
client. this is currently java based.

flash also can call client javascript, or expose methods to client
javascript.

with asp.net you can host a flash file, use its client javascript
support, and host webservices it calls.

Silverline is microsofts response to flash. Silverline is a plugin just
like flash. Silverline files are xaml (xml) based so they can be built
without buying a tool. though making more than a trival hello world not
sure how far you'd get. As the flashtool kit will be open source, MS
will probably release an Express Silverline toolkit. Silverline uses
client javascript for a progaming language. it also supports loadloading
and hosting a .net component, but this requires both Silverline and .net
be installed. also increases load time.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

ASP.NET explorer wrote:
> I have been asked to create some simple animation using Adobe Flash player
> in ASP.NET(C#) web application.
>
> While I am fairly well versed with ASP.NET C#, I absolutely have NO IDEA
> about how to say "Hello World" in a Flash enabled web page rendered via
> ASP.NET.
>
> Can any one let me get started?
>
> ---
> By the way, there is a NEWS today about Adobe Flex 2, which I can not
> comprehend. There are getting started articles for PHP developers on Adobe's
> website but nothing for ASP.NET developers.
>
> http://news.com.com/Adobe+to+open-so...3-6179305.html
>
> It will be nice to hear something from experienced people. Microsoft folks
> too are urged to speak something. How Microsfott's Silverlight fits into all
> this? Can a person who rely solel on VWD/C# Express count on Silverline?
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
> -- a VWD(C#) Express explorer

Samuel R. Neff

Several options..

1. Flash. The is the traditional way to develop Flash movies and
apps. I wouldn't suggest it for applications unless you're doing
something very visual or artsy--there are better options now.

2. Flex. This is the newer way to develop Flash applications. Based
on XML and ActionScript 3 (ECMA4). It's two new languages but
hopefully should be easy enough to learn. There is a free SDK (which
is what the press release is referring to) so you can develop Flex
apps using any IDE without paying any fees. However, FlexBuilder
makes it a lot easier so I'd highly suggest using FlexBuilder. 30 day
trial available. For communication it supports web services and
others (see Fluorine).

3. NeoSwff. There's a separate IDE and compiler from a company
called GlobFX which lets you create Flash applications using C# and
WinForms framework. It compiles down to SWF and uses their
implementation of the .NET framework. I haven't used it, but the lead
developer is very smart and I've heard lots of very good things.
Obviously this would be the easist for you to learn.

4. OpenLaszlo. Produces SWFs from XML and ActionScript. Uses older
version of SWF and ActionScript so I personally would not recommend
it.

Silverlight is a nice option in the future but if you're building
something for widespread use (outside a single company) then it'll be
years before market penetration is high enough to be useful.

Flash IDE: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/

FlexBuilder: http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/flexbuilder/

Fluorine: http://fluorine.thesilentgroup.com/fluorine/

NeoSwff: http://www.globfx.com/

OpenLaszlo: http://www.openlaszlo.org/

For developing in Flex I would suggest a new O'Reilly book

Programming Flex 2
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Fl...946813-0563331

HTH,

Sam

We're hiring! B-Line Medical is seeking .NET
Developers for exciting positions in medical product
development in MD/DC. Work with a variety of technologies
in a relaxed team environment. See ads on Dice.com.

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:30:58 -0500, "ASP.NET explorer"
<explorer@aspdotnetJungle> wrote:

>I have been asked to create some simple animation using Adobe Flash player
>in ASP.NET(C#) web application.
>
>While I am fairly well versed with ASP.NET C#, I absolutely have NO IDEA
>about how to say "Hello World" in a Flash enabled web page rendered via
>ASP.NET.
>
>Can any one let me get started?
>
>---
>By the way, there is a NEWS today about Adobe Flex 2, which I can not
>comprehend. There are getting started articles for PHP developers on Adobe's
>website but nothing for ASP.NET developers.
>
>http://news.com.com/Adobe+to+open-so...3-6179305.html
>
>It will be nice to hear something from experienced people. Microsoft folks
>too are urged to speak something. How Microsfott's Silverlight fits into all
>this? Can a person who rely solel on VWD/C# Express count on Silverline?
>
>Thanks in advance !
>
>-- a VWD(C#) Express explorer

ASP.NET explorer

Your reply was quite enlightening, reducing my bewilderment.

Thank you to you all !!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...