Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > why choose .net ?

Reply
Thread Tools

why choose .net ?

 
 
brazen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-26-2007
Hi there,

We need to retrospectively justify our choice in using .NET framework
for developing our site. Our techie isnt here so we cant run it past
him. Can some kind, helpful person run their eye over it and tell me
if I'm tellling porkies, or if there is anything I should add?

Why should people choose .net (I think ours is 1.1)

Thanks


******************
We recognised that in order to meet our aims of producing a high
quality and consistent website, we had to ensure that our system was
fast, robust and able to deal with a high number of users.

We chose .NET framework so that we could meet these needs now, but
also so that we could best account for any future developments in a
cost effective manner. This has proved the case, in that with our
Stage 2 developments we will be implementing a forum system.
Using .NET has meant that we can integrate new modules with ease.
With .NET's cross-platform interconnectivity, we feel that we have
chosen the best approach for future-proofing.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Rae
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-26-2007
"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> We need to retrospectively justify our choice in using .NET framework


> Why should people choose .net (I think ours is 1.1)


Well, for a start, if you're still using v1.1, you're about 18 months out of
date...

> We recognised that in order to meet our aims of producing a high
> quality and consistent website, we had to ensure that our system was
> fast, robust and able to deal with a high number of users.


That's more an argument for using a big webserver rather than the software
installed on it...

> Using .NET has meant that we can integrate new modules with ease.


No doubt, but that in itself isn't really a justification for .NET - if
you'd started off with JSP, you could have just as easily integrated other
JSP modules...

> With .NET's cross-platform interconnectivity


Er, what...? .NET runs on Windows. There is a version called Mono which can
be installed on other platforms, but it only runs properly on Windows...

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alvin Bruney [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-26-2007
stop multi-posting please, choose a newsgroup and post then WAIT for the
response.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
------------------------------------------------------
Shameless author plug
Excel Services for .NET is coming...
OWC Black book on Amazon and
www.lulu.com/owc
Professional VSTO 2005 - Wrox/Wiley


"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> We need to retrospectively justify our choice in using .NET framework
> for developing our site. Our techie isnt here so we cant run it past
> him. Can some kind, helpful person run their eye over it and tell me
> if I'm tellling porkies, or if there is anything I should add?
>
> Why should people choose .net (I think ours is 1.1)
>
> Thanks
>
>
> ******************
> We recognised that in order to meet our aims of producing a high
> quality and consistent website, we had to ensure that our system was
> fast, robust and able to deal with a high number of users.
>
> We chose .NET framework so that we could meet these needs now, but
> also so that we could best account for any future developments in a
> cost effective manner. This has proved the case, in that with our
> Stage 2 developments we will be implementing a forum system.
> Using .NET has meant that we can integrate new modules with ease.
> With .NET's cross-platform interconnectivity, we feel that we have
> chosen the best approach for future-proofing.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Timney \(MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2007

"brazen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> We need to retrospectively justify our choice in using .NET framework
> for developing our site. Our techie isnt here so we cant run it past
> him. Can some kind, helpful person run their eye over it and tell me
> if I'm tellling porkies, or if there is anything I should add?
>
> Why should people choose .net (I think ours is 1.1)
>
> Thanks
>
>
> ******************
> We recognised that in order to meet our aims of producing a high
> quality and consistent website, we had to ensure that our system was
> fast, robust and able to deal with a high number of users.


This a design issue, and a poorly designed system in any platform choice
will perform badly. If your using this argument you'll need to reinforce it
with reasons about why .net will give you this.

> We chose .NET framework so that we could meet these needs now, but
> also so that we could best account for any future developments in a
> cost effective manner.


How? Would be my next question if this was an interview scenario! You dont
mention any of the benefits of the designer tools, reduced time to market,
common libraries, extensibility, open source test harnesses, integration
with other MS tools/products .net 2.0/3 - Orcas etc. etc.

This has proved the case, in that with our
> Stage 2 developments we will be implementing a forum system.
> Using .NET has meant that we can integrate new modules with ease.
> With .NET's cross-platform interconnectivity, we feel that we have
> chosen the best approach for future-proofing.


If your after cross platform, you'd be better off with PHP, which has
excellent cross platform support and a gazzillion forums already created and
available for free.



--
Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 4 12-21-2006 01:15 PM
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
Reasons why you should choose an Analogue Telephone Adater (ATA) over that of a USB phone using Skype or a SIP Softphone Brian A UK VOIP 10 07-18-2006 09:24 AM
Why choose SQL Server or Access? Vaughn ASP .Net 1 04-19-2004 02:18 PM
This is why "we" choose Widescreen Mike DVD Video 0 11-28-2003 02:01 AM



Advertisments