Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Sitemap & duplicate URL's

Sitemap & duplicate URL's

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgUGFnZQ==?=

Does anyone know a way to allow duplicate URL's in a sitemap?

Here's my problem:

I'm designing (almost done) an online store with the following navigational
structure:

Home / Department / product listing / product detail.

Each department and product listing have unique pages but the product detail
is a single page that is given a product ID parameter in the query string.

All pages are derived from a master page which has the siteMapPath control.

What I can't do is link from the product listing page to the product detail
page and show in the siteMapPath were the user has come from i.e.:

Home / Department / Product list /product detail

I’m aware that the default sitemap provider won’t allow duplicate URL’s.

I’d be grateful for some advice!

You can allow a duplicate URL if you append a querystring parameter to the
end. It can be a dummy querystring parameter that doesn't do anything.
For example, the sitemap will see these as two separate pages:
Default.aspx
Default.aspx?dummy=1

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

"James Page" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know a way to allow duplicate URL's in a sitemap?
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> I'm designing (almost done) an online store with the following
> navigational
> structure:
>
> Home / Department / product listing / product detail.
>
> Each department and product listing have unique pages but the product
> detail
> is a single page that is given a product ID parameter in the query string.
>
> All pages are derived from a master page which has the siteMapPath
> control.
>
> What I can't do is link from the product listing page to the product
> detail
> page and show in the siteMapPath were the user has come from i.e.:
>
> Home / Department / Product list /product detail
>
> I’m aware that the default sitemap provider won’t allow duplicate URL’s.
>
> I’d be grateful for some advice!

James Page

Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider] wrote:
> You can allow a duplicate URL if you append a querystring parameter to
> the end. It can be a dummy querystring parameter that doesn't do anything.
> For example, the sitemap will see these as two separate pages:
> Default.aspx
> Default.aspx?dummy=1

Thanks Steve but there'e a problem with this work around

Say I've got the following pages:

Default.aspx, page1.aspx, page2,aspx & page3.aspx

The structure is that the default.aspx links to pages 1 & 2.aspx
Pages1 & 2 link to page3.aspx.

The sitemap =

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<siteMap xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AspNet/SiteMap-File-1.0" >

<siteMapNode url="~/default.aspx" title="Default" >
<siteMapNode url="~/page1.aspx" title="Page1">
<siteMapNode url="~/page3.aspx" title="Page 3" />
</siteMapNode>
<siteMapNode url="~/page2.aspx" title="Page2" >
<siteMapNode url="~/page3.aspx?id=2" title="Page 3" />
</siteMapNode>
</siteMapNode>
</siteMap>

A master page holds the siteMapPath.

All works fine when you link to page3 from page1 and the siteMapPath
looks like: default : Page 1 : Page 3

However when you link from page2 to page 3 the siteMapPath renders the
same as linking from page1 !

Also if you amend the first instance of page3.aspx to page3.aspx?id=1
the siteMapPath won't render at all!

I've tried all sorts of different combinations without success.

Thanks

James

sureshot sureshot is offline
Junior Member

I'm having a very similar problem. Has anyone found a good solution yet?

a.oveissian a.oveissian is offline
Junior Member

I know this is an old post but perhaps somebodyelse find my note useful;

I think master page does not make problem, but if you have pages in separate directories, may see wrong re-direction from page to page because of the current directory that system uses for search may not be root (happens after navigate to sub-directories that contain the aspx page). To avoid this:

- One of the ways is to use the complete url like following:

<siteMapNode url="http://localhost:4825/yourwebsiteFolder/default.aspx" title="Main Page" description="Main Page desc" />
or
<siteMapNode url="http://www.domain.com/default.aspx" title="Main Page" description="Main Page desc" />

- Another way is to use referrer to the root ( .. ) while addressing in sitemap:

<siteMapNode url="../subfoldername/default.aspx" title="Main Page" description="Main Page desc" />

About duplicates (I know this was not the question), parameters work, fake anchors work as well. exp: default.aspx#nowhere

Last edited by a.oveissian; 03-01-2011 at 07:39 PM..

Sitemap & duplicate URL's James Page ASP .Net Web Controls 0 04-23-2007 10:19 AM
Can Sitemap.CurrentNode use non default sitemap provider? AmitKu ASP .Net 1 09-27-2006 12:25 PM
I have created a "Auction.sitemap" instead of the default "web.sitemap" - But I can't run it. Learner ASP .Net Security 5 05-07-2006 03:37 PM
web.sitemap and roles aa ASP .Net 3 12-10-2004 04:29 AM
How to create sitemap? Ashish Kanoongo ASP .Net 0 02-17-2004 05:16 AM

Advertisments