Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > SQL Server 2005

SQL Server 2005

Just Me

OK, I have SQL2005/vs2005 and on my local machine I have SQL Express, so my
local connection string is like this. When i publish to the server, it of
course cannot find the instance for the server . I guess my question is

1.) Do I need an sql server on the server, I know this sounds like a dumb
question, but I was wondering if the providers could access it without as a
local database directly. I think the answer is no, but I thought I would
ask.

2.) If I need an sql server on the server, I do have one, so I could alter
the connection string so that the one on the server picks it up and then
just exclude the local web.config from the project so it doesent copy it
when publishing.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

<connectionStrings>

<add name="MembersConnectionString1" connectionString="Data
Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirector y|\Members.mdf;Integrated
Security=True;User Instance=True"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

Mark Rae

"Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> OK, I have SQL2005/vs2005 and on my local machine I have SQL Express, so
> my local connection string is like this. When i publish to the server, it
> of course cannot find the instance for the server . I guess my question is
>
> 1.) Do I need an sql server on the server, I know this sounds like a dumb
> question, but I was wondering if the providers could access it without as
> a local database directly. I think the answer is no, but I thought I would
> ask.

If your web app uses SQL Server, your webserver will need to be able to
access the database one way or another - how you choose to architect that is
up to you...

> 2.) If I need an sql server on the server, I do have one, so I could alter
> the connection string so that the one on the server picks it up and then
> just exclude the local web.config from the project so it doesent copy it
> when publishing.

Use Web Deployment Projects:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...oyment+Project

That will allow you to have separate sections in your web.config for
development, UAT, production etc

Just Me

Many thanks Mark, your reply was helpful.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...