Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: Looking for networking info

OT: Looking for networking info

Keyboard Cowboy

I saw a guy that used to work for my company as a VP. A
couple years back, he didn't see eye to eye with the CEO,
so under a mutual seperation agreement (package), he
decided to part ways. He started up a company almost like
a consulting firm/reseller. Basically, he contracts out
with hardware co's that manufacture hubs/switches/routers
etc. He looks at them and the company as a whole and
decides whether or not to do business with them. If so,
he takes that technology and sells it to mediums/large
sized businesses.

Here is the deal. This guy has asked me to come work for
him. Actually, he has been asking me for a year now.
Problem is that all my experience is operating systems and
networking (from a desk) as well as db programming. So, I
don't have experience with the hardware or the specific
topology of the networking structure (again,
specifically). I have googled for some info, but would
like to get some "professional" opinions (hahahaha).
Anyone got any ideas of books or mags? He wants someone
that can walk in and look at a business to make
recommendations. I am not quite there yet. But I might
want to consider it in the future... but need to get some
background first.

Neil

"Keyboard Cowboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:2822001c4638d$44e54070$(E-Mail Removed):

> Anyone got any ideas of books or mags?

your timing is impecable. This was on the wire this morning

he has a roughly 500 page book that should get you going on Cisco. FREE!

find it at:
http://www.spcollege.edu/star/cisco/...pers_and_brief
..htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/3755b

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Consultant

what kind of money and where?

"Keyboard Cowboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:2822001c4638d$44e54070$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I saw a guy that used to work for my company as a VP. A
> couple years back, he didn't see eye to eye with the CEO,
> so under a mutual seperation agreement (package), he
> decided to part ways. He started up a company almost like
> a consulting firm/reseller. Basically, he contracts out
> with hardware co's that manufacture hubs/switches/routers
> etc. He looks at them and the company as a whole and
> decides whether or not to do business with them. If so,
> he takes that technology and sells it to mediums/large
> sized businesses.
>
> Here is the deal. This guy has asked me to come work for
> him. Actually, he has been asking me for a year now.
> Problem is that all my experience is operating systems and
> networking (from a desk) as well as db programming. So, I
> don't have experience with the hardware or the specific
> topology of the networking structure (again,
> specifically). I have googled for some info, but would
> like to get some "professional" opinions (hahahaha).
> Anyone got any ideas of books or mags? He wants someone
> that can walk in and look at a business to make
> recommendations. I am not quite there yet. But I might
> want to consider it in the future... but need to get some
> background first.

Rick

Great post Neil.

Thank you

Rick

news:Xns951E9C892B8D5neilmcsehotmailcom@207.46.248 .16...
> "Keyboard Cowboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:2822001c4638d$44e54070$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Anyone got any ideas of books or mags?

> your timing is impecable. This was on the wire this morning
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/06/1217243
>
> he has a roughly 500 page book that should get you going on Cisco. FREE!
>
> find it at:
> http://www.spcollege.edu/star/cisco/...pers_and_brief
> .htm
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3755b
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP #30

Keyboard Cowboy

Thanks Neil. I will look at this for sure... but am a
little concerned with only looking at Cisco. See, from
what I understand, the products I will be looking at are
competitors with Cisco. So, I will need to know more
about Cisco, but don't want to stop there... since I will
have a need to know about other products. Thanks!!! I
will check this out.

apers_and_brief
>..htm
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/3755b
>
>--
>Neil MCNGP #30
>.

Keyboard Cowboy

In MN... 6 figures (not including decimal points).

I am sure there will be plenty of travel. He has spent
the last few months hob-nobbing with CEOs around the
country. So I am sure there will be some travel. That
part stinks.

nerd32768

"Keyboard Cowboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:283bb01c4639e$9818c800$(E-Mail Removed)...

is there an age limit?
my current salary has 3 figures

catwalker63

Mine has no figures. <sigh> But I don't wanna move to MN. Do people
actually live there?

Have you tried looking at the sites for the particular hardware you will be
supporting? They might have some info on their products -- publications,
specs, etc. you could study to become familiar with what their supposed to
do. You should also be able to parlay your experience from the desk to help
you understand the challenges facing your customers.

Good luck!

--
Kelley
aka catwalker
"nerd32768" <brin{removethis}(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ufuSh%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Keyboard Cowboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:283bb01c4639e$9818c800$(E-Mail Removed)...

Thank god for allowance and illiterate neighbors!

catwalker63

I'm a little old for allowances. <sigh>

--
Kelley