Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Help DHCP problems

Help DHCP problems

That

For some reason since I installed a new router my ISP will only give me a 24
hour DHCP lease. I had a similar problem before when my cable modem was
connected via USB. This was cured by changing it to Ethernet but has
returned since the addition of my router. I am connected via NTL and their
tech support is worse than useless. Does anyone have any ideas why a DHCP
server set for 7 days leases should only issue 24 hour ones and not
automativcally renew them before expiry?

Mark

Wrong newsgroup....try posting under "server" catagory.

pcbutts1

Your DHCP lease time is set by your ISP not your router. Your internal
network DHCP is set by your router. If it does not renew then maybe the
router needs a firmware update.

"That" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K4yGc.830$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For some reason since I installed a new router my ISP will only give me a

24
> hour DHCP lease. I had a similar problem before when my cable modem was
> connected via USB. This was cured by changing it to Ethernet but has
> returned since the addition of my router. I am connected via NTL and their
> tech support is worse than useless. Does anyone have any ideas why a DHCP
> server set for 7 days leases should only issue 24 hour ones and not
> automativcally renew them before expiry?

Marlin Munrow

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:48:26 GMT, "That" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For some reason since I installed a new router my ISP will only give me a 24
>hour DHCP lease. I had a similar problem before when my cable modem was
>connected via USB. This was cured by changing it to Ethernet but has
>returned since the addition of my router. I am connected via NTL and their
>tech support is worse than useless. Does anyone have any ideas why a DHCP
>server set for 7 days leases should only issue 24 hour ones and not
>automativcally renew them before expiry?

I have the same "issue" but have always been connected by ethernet.

Solution for me was http://www.no-ip.com/
to let me do all the things friends with static ips can do.

Man I love dynamic DNS that changes whenever my ip address updates....

<sorry for the commercial but these guys rock!>
================================
My Hero:
(remove vroomfondle to email me)
================================

That

Thanks for the tip. Err. While I'm happy to look at the various
configurations I don't really know what I'm looking for. Plus the DNS
servers are run by my ISP who also run the DHCP server so I don't think I
CAN inspect their system. Soooo given that it's the only one I can really
look at..... any ideas what I'm looking for on the router? TIA.

"Jim ((E-Mail Removed))" <Jim ((E-Mail Removed))@discussions.microsoft.com>
> The problem doesn't lie with your DHCP server and it's configuration -

it's either your router or your DNS server.

> Since all 3 (DNS, DHCP, and the router config itself) are possible

candidates for this problem, I would inspect the configuration on each.

> If those don't work, contact your ISP.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Jim
>
> "unknown" wrote:
>
> > Community Message Not Available

That

Firstly, thanks for the original web link. Very helpful. Might actually
solve some problems. But Mr Why?..... Why the attitude? Am I ignorant?
Possibly ignorant of in depth DHCP issues. But I suspect Einstein and Edison
were too.

Interesting choice of nickname. Why? Leads to so many questions? Why did
your parents bother giving birth to you? Why are you such a dickhead? Why
are you such a failure with the opposite sex? Bet you never had sex without
paying for it (personally I suspect you've never seen a girl naked). You
should try leaving the laptop at home once in a while. You might actually
meet one. Bet your sex talk really makes them swoon. "Show us your SIMMS
baby" and "I've got a huge hard drive" (yes the naughty man swore).

Of course if you need a sex life I'm sure you could pop down to the YMCA
and offer blow jobs to the lads. A DICK-HEAD such as you would be a natural
I'm sure.

And why didn't I tell you the brand of router? You were obviously too
IGNORANT to scroll down and see that I wasn't replying to YOUR Message.
Indeed yours hadn't even appeared on my server when the reply was written.
And guess what. I'm not GOING to tell what brand it is (go on, run home to
mummy and tell her about the nasty man).

So. In summary. GROW UP. LEARN SOME RESPECT FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN. STOP BEING
SUCH A CONDESCENDING DICKHEAD.

Oh and one last piece of advice which might just be useful one day if you
ever evolve far enough. Girls don't have willies.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> x-post trimmed from 3 groups to 1. Replying to a copy of a post trimmed
> somewhere else, the thread fell apart as FU not set.
>
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:04:00 GMT, That wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the tip. Err. While I'm happy to look at the various
> >configurations I don't really know what I'm looking for. Plus the DNS

> So did it work without the router?
>
> >servers are run by my ISP who also run the DHCP server so I don't think I

> What you are looking for is the current settings on your PC. Assuming
> it's some version of Windows.
>
> Open a CMD prompt, type
>
> ipconfig/all|more
>
> This tells you the PC , IP, Gateway, DHCP/DNS server settings, lease
> start/end.
>
> To save those settings to a file - ipconfig /all > ipconf.txt
>
> Usually with a router in place most of the addresses look like
> 192.168.0.x , the 0 can be something else.
>
> In this case your PC settings (LAN side ports) are configured by the
> router. The router WAN port connected to your ISPs device has the ISP
> settings.
>
> Without the router the values on the PC will be sent by the ISP.
>
> >CAN inspect their system. Soooo given that it's the only one I can really
> >look at..... any ideas what I'm looking for on the router? TIA.

> You still didn't say what model/make of router you have.
>
> Generally most new ones have a http://192.168.0.1/ web based
> configuration to show/set current settings. See your router manual.
>
> >"Jim ((E-Mail Removed))" <Jim

((E-Mail Removed))@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> The problem doesn't lie with your DHCP server and it's configuration -

> >it's either your router or your DNS server.
> >>
> >> Since all 3 (DNS, DHCP, and the router config itself) are possible

> >candidates for this problem, I would inspect the configuration on each.
> >>
> >> If those don't work, contact your ISP.

> <snip>
>
> Me

TechGeekPro

On Jul 7, 2004 "That" blathered:

> Firstly, thanks for the original web link. Very helpful. Might actually
> solve some problems. But Mr Why?..... Why the attitude? Am I ignorant?
> Possibly ignorant of in depth DHCP issues. But I suspect Einstein and
> Edison were too.

I didn't realize that they had DHCP back then.

> Interesting choice of nickname. Why? Leads to so many questions? Why did
> your parents bother giving birth to you? Why are you such a dickhead?
> Why are you such a failure with the opposite sex? Bet you never had sex
> without paying for it (personally I suspect you've never seen a girl
> naked). You should try leaving the laptop at home once in a while. You
> might actually meet one. Bet your sex talk really makes them swoon.
> "Show us your SIMMS baby" and "I've got a huge hard drive" (yes the
> naughty man swore).

Interesting choice of nickname. That? Assuming a lot about someone with
whom you've never met, aren't you "That"?

> Of course if you need a sex life I'm sure you could pop down to the
> YMCA
> and offer blow jobs to the lads. A DICK-HEAD such as you would be a
> natural I'm sure.

And you would know, right?

> And why didn't I tell you the brand of router? You were obviously too
> IGNORANT to scroll down and see that I wasn't replying to YOUR Message.
> Indeed yours hadn't even appeared on my server when the reply was
> written. And guess what. I'm not GOING to tell what brand it is (go on,
> run home to mummy and tell her about the nasty man).
>
> So. In summary. GROW UP. LEARN SOME RESPECT FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN. STOP
> BEING SUCH A CONDESCENDING DICKHEAD.

So, we shouldn't be like you then?

> Oh and one last piece of advice which might just be useful one day if
> you ever evolve far enough. Girls don't have willies.

Actually, most of them do, just not (in them) all the time.

--
TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

Laura A. Robinson

circa Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:48:26 GMT, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, That ((E-Mail Removed)) said,
> For some reason since I installed a new router my ISP will only give me a 24
> hour DHCP lease. I had a similar problem before when my cable modem was
> connected via USB. This was cured by changing it to Ethernet but has
> returned since the addition of my router. I am connected via NTL and their
> tech support is worse than useless. Does anyone have any ideas why a DHCP
> server set for 7 days leases should only issue 24 hour ones and not
> automativcally renew them before expiry?

Renewal is not the function of the server- it is the function of the
client. Your router is the likely problem, not their server.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde