Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > expert help required!

expert help required!

Steve W

I need advice from a MCP regarding a problem I am having
with establishing a dial up connection. Hopefully, I'm in
the right newsgroup. If not, perhaps someone would be kind
enough to redirect me.
Some background - I have two PCs connected via fast
Ethernet. I use dial up to connect to the Internet.
Internet connection sharing is enabled.
Until recently, I had no problems with the dial up
connection. Suddenly the connection starting dropping
every minute or so. This happened on both computers. I
followed the advice in the Help and Support section but no
improvement. I also increased the gain on my line. Again,
no improvement.
Now, I cannot connect to the internet at all. Modems on
both computers dial an ISP but do not send any data (I can
hear them dialling, then silence).
Voice calls are fine and BT have checked my line and found
no problems.
If anyone can suggest a solution I would be very grateful.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBbTVNd?=

Hi Steve,
I do a bit of work fixing computers and things, by the sound of your problem it is either down to the ISP or else you have a dodgy modem (or 2). Ive seen it all too often (in the UK) where there has been slight power surges that have come through the phone line (this is a big problem in the rural area where i live) and mess up your modem without the problem being apparent (dialing as normal etc..). If you get a cheap modem (i find that dabs value hardware modems are cheap and work as well as anything else) and try a different pay as you go isp such as freeuk.

From this you will have spent £12 and most likely diagnose the fault to being either a bad modem or an ISP problem. In my eyes this would be much easier than starting to tell you about settings and everything else that you by the sounds of it havent been fiddling with.

Get the internet up and working on one machine and then start wondering about the connection sharing, if it is a problem.

Let me know how you get on..

Mark

Neil

"Steve W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:264a001c4625e
$dc1443e0$(E-Mail Removed):

> I need advice from a MCP regarding a problem I am having
> with establishing a dial up connection. Hopefully, I'm in
> the right newsgroup. If not, perhaps someone would be kind
> enough to redirect me.
> Some background - I have two PCs connected via fast
> Ethernet. I use dial up to connect to the Internet.
> Internet connection sharing is enabled.
> Until recently, I had no problems with the dial up
> connection. Suddenly the connection starting dropping
> every minute or so. This happened on both computers. I
> followed the advice in the Help and Support section but no
> improvement. I also increased the gain on my line. Again,
> no improvement.
> Now, I cannot connect to the internet at all. Modems on
> both computers dial an ISP but do not send any data (I can
> hear them dialling, then silence).
> Voice calls are fine and BT have checked my line and found
> no problems.
> If anyone can suggest a solution I would be very grateful.

yes you are in the wrong NG. try the
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup group but it sounds like
you should contact the ISP to see wazzup. Unless you have added something
to these systems that you are not sharing here (autoupdate, security
patches,etc.) is likely a change that has occured on thier end.

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Steve

Certainly the modems may be at fault - I hadn't thought of
a power surge through the phone line.
I've 'queried' the modems and they seem to be working OK
but will try a new one as you suggest.
Could the problem be linked to the fact that I've recently
run Adaware on both PCs? Someone has suggested that
removing spyware can damage the winsock file. Have you
encountered this?
thanks for your time
Steve W.

diagnose the fault to being either a bad modem or an ISP
problem. In my eyes this would be much easier than
starting to tell you about settings and everything else
that you by the sounds of it havent been fiddling with.

>Get the internet up and working on one machine and then

start wondering about the connection sharing, if it is a
problem.

>Let me know how you get on..
>
>Mark
>.

Neil

"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:2679601c46293$b4d44020
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Certainly the modems may be at fault - I hadn't thought of
> a power surge through the phone line.
> I've 'queried' the modems and they seem to be working OK
> but will try a new one as you suggest.
> Could the problem be linked to the fact that I've recently
> run Adaware on both PCs? Someone has suggested that
> removing spyware can damage the winsock file. Have you
> encountered this?
> thanks for your time
> Steve W.

check to see what your hosts file looks like...

try running a system restore (if it's XP) to a point prior to the incident
occuring...

--
Neil MCNGP #30

>check to see what your hosts file looks like...
>
>try running a system restore (if it's XP) to a point

prior to the incident
>occuring...

System restore sucks, its a complete waste

nerd32768

> System restore sucks, its a complete waste

True
I learned that from experience
IT DOES NOT WORK
there went XP on my last computer

Neil

"nerd32768" <brin{removethis}(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> System restore sucks, its a complete waste

> True
> I learned that from experience
> IT DOES NOT WORK
> there went XP on my last computer

interesting...never had a problem with it...

have used it 2 or 3 times without a hitch...

--
Neil MCNGP #30

terminatrr@excite.com

seems as though you are not surfing but getting
connected,see if you can surf by ip address for ex type in
the ipaddress in the address bar 216.109.127.29 if you are
able to pass traffic by ip address tcp/ip problem reinstall
tcp or if your ISP allows telnet open a command prompt and
type in telnet followed by your ISP name you may receive an
error connection refused on port 23 this may be due to two
factors your isp does not allow telnet or you have a
firewall or software blocking access such as a firewall or
a worm, virus, trojan.
The other step you can take is connecto only one computer
without inetrnet connection sharing thus eliminating a lan
issue. It could also be the modem is not retraining open
hyperterminal and query your modem at, ati3 followed by
atdt and the number to your isp and then enter ati6 and see
if there is line noise in the results. Line noise will also
cause problems, or you may have to enter an init string in
the advanced properties of modems.
Good Luck.

MikeF

"Steve W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:264a001c4625e$dc1443e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need advice from a MCP regarding a problem I am having
> with establishing a dial up connection. Hopefully, I'm in
> the right newsgroup. If not, perhaps someone would be kind
> enough to redirect me.
> Some background - I have two PCs connected via fast
> Ethernet. I use dial up to connect to the Internet.
> Internet connection sharing is enabled.
> Until recently, I had no problems with the dial up
> connection. Suddenly the connection starting dropping
> every minute or so. This happened on both computers. I
> followed the advice in the Help and Support section but no
> improvement. I also increased the gain on my line. Again,
> no improvement.
> Now, I cannot connect to the internet at all. Modems on
> both computers dial an ISP but do not send any data (I can
> hear them dialling, then silence).
> Voice calls are fine and BT have checked my line and found
> no problems.
> If anyone can suggest a solution I would be very grateful.

make sure the isp's connect number hasn't changed in DUN. (you probably have
already)
dial your isp's connect number from your phone, see if you get a modem
handshake.
if you don't, dial your isp's tech support
if you do, connect your phone to the jack with the phone cord that usually
goes to the computer and try again.
if you get the handshake, everything is probably working from the phone plug
that goes into your computer to your isp.
clean the socket on the modem, clean the plug. open your computer and reseat
the modem. put the plug back in the modem and try again.
still nothing? put the modem in a different slot and try again.
still nada? is it a fax modem? do you have somebody you can fax who will
tell you if they get the fax? send em a fax. if there is no one, send
anybody a fax, see if it completes.
if faxing doesn't work try a modem from a different computer or a new one.

however, because you say that modems on two computers won't complete the
connection it's likely the cord or the isp.

Need help from .NEt remote expert ?? =?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?= MCSD 3 08-12-2006 10:29 AM
Need expert help with sharing a satellite internet system mlsteen1 Wireless Networking 3 03-28-2006 12:21 AM
Special case.Only expert can help me! joker Java 3 06-04-2004 12:29 AM
Expert Help needed john ASP .Net 2 03-03-2004 03:43 PM
HELP from Expert Needed!!! Problem using the find method in a DataView with multiple window forms miggy ASP .Net 2 11-15-2003 10:03 AM

Advertisments