Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > TB 2 "junk" doesn't work properly?

TB 2 "junk" doesn't work properly?

mineola

I just migrated from TB 1.5 to TB 2.0.

Now, however, when I select a message in my inbox and click on TB 2's
new fancy "junk" icon (with flames). the message doesn't go away into
my "junk" folder, but remains in the inbox.

The only change I see is that now my view pane for the message has a
label bar across it reading, "Thunderbird thinks this message is junk"
and a mouse click box labeled, "This message isn't junk". I am
confused! What do I do to make the damned message hop over into my
"junk" folder?

Leonidas Jones

mineola wrote:
> I just migrated from TB 1.5 to TB 2.0.
>
> Now, however, when I select a message in my inbox and click on TB 2's
> new fancy "junk" icon (with flames). the message doesn't go away into
> my "junk" folder, but remains in the inbox.
>
> The only change I see is that now my view pane for the message has a
> label bar across it reading, "Thunderbird thinks this message is junk"
> and a mouse click box labeled, "This message isn't junk". I am
> confused! What do I do to make the damned message hop over into my
> "junk" folder?

JMC settings are now in:

Tools>>Account Settings>>(accountname)>>Junk Settings

Check the box for Move new junk messages to, and select your desired
destination.

Lee

mineola

On Apr 26, 2:30 pm, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mineola wrote:
> > I just migrated from TB 1.5 to TB 2.0.

> > Now, however, when I select a message in my inbox and click on TB 2's
> > new fancy "junk" icon (with flames). the message doesn't go away into
> > my "junk" folder, but remains in the inbox.

> > The only change I see is that now my view pane for the message has a
> > label bar across it reading, "Thunderbird thinks this message is junk"
> > and a mouse click box labeled, "This message isn't junk". I am
> > confused! What do I do to make the damned message hop over into my
> > "junk" folder?

> JMC settings are now in:
>
> Tools>>Account Settings>>(accountname)>>Junk Settings
>
> Check the box for Move new junk messages to, and select your desired
> destination.
>
> Lee

I did review those settings, but all looks okay there to me.I even
unchecked the bypass box. Still, flagging an inbox message as "junk"
leaves it there with no change other than a modification of my message
display with a, "Thunderbird thinks this message is junk" bar on top
of the message's text in my display pane. This is sounding like it
cannot be easily resolved. Are you running TB 2?

I am considering returning to 1.5 because of this.

Leonidas Jones

mineola wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2:30 pm, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> mineola wrote:
>>> I just migrated from TB 1.5 to TB 2.0.
>>> Now, however, when I select a message in my inbox and click on TB 2's
>>> new fancy "junk" icon (with flames). the message doesn't go away into
>>> my "junk" folder, but remains in the inbox.
>>> The only change I see is that now my view pane for the message has a
>>> label bar across it reading, "Thunderbird thinks this message is junk"
>>> and a mouse click box labeled, "This message isn't junk". I am
>>> confused! What do I do to make the damned message hop over into my
>>> "junk" folder?

>> JMC settings are now in:
>>
>> Tools>>Account Settings>>(accountname)>>Junk Settings
>>
>> Check the box for Move new junk messages to, and select your desired
>> destination.
>>
>> Lee

> I did review those settings, but all looks okay there to me.I even
> unchecked the bypass box. Still, flagging an inbox message as "junk"
> leaves it there with no change other than a modification of my message
> display with a, "Thunderbird thinks this message is junk" bar on top
> of the message's text in my display pane. This is sounding like it
> cannot be easily resolved. Are you running TB 2?
>
> I am considering returning to 1.5 because of this.

How else could I point you to the setiings?

I've been running 2.0 since alpha 1, and the JMC have been behaving fine.

You can roll back if you want to, but I would ager you will find the
same problem exists.

What happens with incoming messages that the JSC dertermines to be junk?
Are they moved to the Junk Folder? Is it only messages that you amrk
manually that are not being moved?

Lee

mineola

On Apr 26, 11:28 pm, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mineola wrote:
> >> JMC settings are now in:

> >> Tools>>Account Settings>>(accountname)>>Junk Settings

> >> Check the box for Move new junk messages to, and select your desired
> >> destination.

> >> Lee

> > I did review those settings, but all looks okay there to me.I even
> > unchecked the bypass box. Still, flagging an inbox message as "junk"
> > leaves it there with no change other than a modification of my message
> > display with a, "Thunderbird thinks this message is junk" bar on top
> > of the message's text in my display pane. This is sounding like it
> > cannot be easily resolved. Are you running TB 2?

> > I am considering returning to 1.5 because of this.

> How else could I point you to the setiings?
>
> I've been running 2.0 since alpha 1, and the JMC have been behaving fine.
>
> You can roll back if you want to, but I would ager you will find the
> same problem exists.
>
> What happens with incoming messages that the JSC dertermines to be junk?
> Are they moved to the Junk Folder? Is it only messages that you amrk
> manually that are not being moved?
>
> Lee

Messages that were flagged as junk under 1.5 go into my junk folder,
but messages I flag as junk in my inbox under 2.0 remain there. I got
impatient with this and see few advantages of 2.0 over 1.5, so I just
went back. It is good I still have my old 1.5 install file and that TB
will install and older release over a newer one. I was reviewing my
old TB install files and still have the one for TB 0.9. I have been
using TB since their old beta release under XP.

I went back to 1.5. Under 1.5, the problem goes away and junk works
perfectly with it.

Leonidas Jones

mineola wrote:
> On Apr 26, 11:28 pm, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> mineola wrote:
>>> I did review those settings, but all looks okay there to me.I even
>>> unchecked the bypass box. Still, flagging an inbox message as "junk"
>>> leaves it there with no change other than a modification of my message
>>> display with a, "Thunderbird thinks this message is junk" bar on top
>>> of the message's text in my display pane. This is sounding like it
>>> cannot be easily resolved. Are you running TB 2?
>>> I am considering returning to 1.5 because of this.

>> How else could I point you to the setiings?
>>
>> I've been running 2.0 since alpha 1, and the JMC have been behaving fine.
>>
>> You can roll back if you want to, but I would ager you will find the
>> same problem exists.
>>
>> What happens with incoming messages that the JSC dertermines to be junk?
>> Are they moved to the Junk Folder? Is it only messages that you amrk
>> manually that are not being moved?
>>
>> Lee

> Messages that were flagged as junk under 1.5 go into my junk folder,
> but messages I flag as junk in my inbox under 2.0 remain there. I got
> impatient with this and see few advantages of 2.0 over 1.5, so I just
> went back. It is good I still have my old 1.5 install file and that TB
> will install and older release over a newer one. I was reviewing my
> old TB install files and still have the one for TB 0.9. I have been
> using TB since their old beta release under XP.
>
> I went back to 1.5. Under 1.5, the problem goes away and junk works
> perfectly with it.

Yet, had you waited a moment, I could have explained it to you. I will
anyway, as you will eventually need to upgrade, once 1.5 reaches end of
life in October.

I pointed you to the setting where you decide to move messages that the
JMC catches. Here is where you set the preference for moving messaghes
that you mark manually:

Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Junk

Its a global setting, with the box checked ,messages that you mark
manually will moved to the appropriate Junk folder for all accounts.

Before you ask why these two similar prefs are set in two different
places, as I was commenting to Ed in another thread, it doesn't make
real sense to me, but that is what they did.

That being said, I find 2.0 to be one of the poorer releases in the
development of Thunderbird. It has features that do make it a big
improvement over 1.5, but it is very buggy. The developers had a lot of
trouble with this one, and I think felt a lot of pressure to get a
release out. Right now it seems more like a beta version then a final.
Its a good beta, but it needs a lot of smoothing out.

Give it another look as they start releasing security updates.

Lee