Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > HP laptops w/ vista unable to see networks

HP laptops w/ vista unable to see networks

=?Utf-8?B?RG93bnRvd25EYWxlQnJvd24=?=

Ok, this is going to be a little different I'm sure, but I do wireless
networking support for a popular ISP, and I'm running into a recurring issue
that I'd like to be able to solve myself.

It only occurs with HP laptops running Vista. We go to "Connect to..." and
select wireless to be shown, and half the time, we get "Windows cannot see
any networks." Now normally to me this would indicate that either the
wireless switch is off, or there is a 3rd party program in charge of the
wireless network. Keep in mind that i have no visual confirmation that the
wireless switch is enabled, but I keep getting assured that it is, and still
we receive "Windows cannot...". Now, HP has a program on their laptops called
the HP Network Assistant, which they've been kind enough to provide zero
screenshots or publicly available documentation for, and I'm wondering if
this could be throwing a monkey wrench into my plans.

Any support would be appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I do not have Vista info readly, but the priciple is similar to WinXP.
If the Wireless card is On, and configured correctly with the drivers, you
would see it in the Device Manger. http://www.ezlan.net/example/dm_ok.jpg
You can get the program mentioned here (it works with Vista
http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#process ), and "Kill" temporally the
processes that relate to the HP Network Assistant.
More about debugging wireless here, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"DowntownDaleBrown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...