Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless problems

Wireless problems

Corrado 'Junior' Soprano

Hi,

I connected my modem to a linksys router, and one of its net-port to a
desktop with a patch cable.
I have my laptop downstairs, for some reason the signal quality changes from
excellent to poor, then it deconnects.
The weirdest is, when this happens I can see other wireless networks in the
area, from some of my neighborhoods, but my network (again, it's just
upstairs!)
Even when it's "excellent" the connection looks slow compared to what it
should be.
Both desktop and laptop are in DHCP mode.

Thanks for help

=?Utf-8?B?RG93bnRvd25EYWxlQnJvd24=?=

Important question: Do you have any 2.4Ghz phones in the area? These are
operating on the same frequency as your router and will interfere with your
signal. Even when you are seeing an "excellent" signal, a lot of this could
be surrounding "noise" as opposed to signal. The ideal would be switching to
a 5.8 or 900mhz phone, but even putting some distance between phone and
router will make a difference.

Another thing to keep in mind if you have other networks in the area is that
the default channel for routers seems to be 6. Changing your network to
channels 1 or 11 will be able to bypass any interference from these other
networks.