Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

Roy Avery

I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the network
without having to be logged on.

Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like it's
wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
without having a user logged onto the machine.

Thank you.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Win 2000 does not have a native Wireless capability, so it is up to the
utility provided by the Card's manufacturer to provide auto connection.
Contact Linksys support may be that have a solution (or upgrade to Win XP).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Roy Avery" <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
> machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
> for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
> software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the
> network
> without having to be logged on.
>
> Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like
> it's
> wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
> install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
> without having a user logged onto the machine.
>
> Thank you.

Roy Avery

Thank you Jack.

Yes, I understand W2K does not have native wireless capability like XP does.
I'm looking for a manufacturer who's NIC software is capable of running as a
service. I was on the phone with Linksys tech support for over two hours
trying to get up to Level 2, and to hopefully talk to somebody who knows as
much as a 4th grader. It was very difficult. Level 2 finally said they
would try and duplicate the problems I was having, and they did call me back
today. Apparently, there software is not mean to run in the background as a
Service. A user must be logged in at all times. It sounds like Linksys is
not the product for me.

Obviously Linksys is not the only player in the home owner class of wireless
products. Is anybody aware of a manufacturer who's software can run in the
background? I would like to have an established network connection even
though the machine is only at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

Thank you.
news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Win 2000 does not have a native Wireless capability, so it is up to the
> utility provided by the Card's manufacturer to provide auto connection.
> Contact Linksys support may be that have a solution (or upgrade to Win

XP).
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Roy Avery" <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
> > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in

order
> > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
> > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the
> > network
> > without having to be logged on.
> >
> > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like
> > it's
> > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
> > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
> > without having a user logged onto the machine.
> >
> > Thank you.

Axel Hammerschmidt

Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Is anybody aware of a manufacturer who's software can run in the
> background? I would like to have an established network connection even
> though the machine is only at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

Leave the wireless network un-secured and almost any wireless client
under W2K SP4 will log on to the network before the user has launched
the client, although to my knowledge not before the user has activated
the account (with Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Jim

"Roy Avery" <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
> machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
> for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
> software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the
> network
> without having to be logged on.
>
> Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like
> it's
> wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
> install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
> without having a user logged onto the machine.
>
> Thank you.

My laptop has an internal Intel adapter. Intel's software hus such a
feature. Perhaps, if Intel makes a PCI or USB adapter, the software for it
would allow your wish.

I haven't enabled this action because I finally decided that I don't want or
need the feature.

Jim

Roy Avery

Unsecured? Nope, that's not going to happen. Yes, I realize if somebody
really, really wants into the network, they're going to get in, but I'm not
going to have an open invitation for outsiders to see my machine names, and
then get an idea to try and hack into them and get personal information.

Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't want
this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be using. I
want the ability to be able to access files on the computer, without a user
needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on a wired networked
computer.

For as long as wireless has been around, I'm very surprised this isn't how
all NIC's are already.

"Axel Hammerschmidt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hx4ovv.emhcv51aag696N%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Is anybody aware of a manufacturer who's software can run in the
> > background? I would like to have an established network connection even
> > though the machine is only at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

> Leave the wireless network un-secured and almost any wireless client
> under W2K SP4 will log on to the network before the user has launched
> the client, although to my knowledge not before the user has activated
> the account (with Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Axel Hammerschmidt

Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't want
> this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be using. I
> want the ability to be able to access files on the computer, without a user
> needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on a wired networked
> computer.

Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
logged in the local machine" on a wired network?

That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?

Roy Avery

Yes you can. I don't need a link or a google search. I was the only person
working in the IT Dept of a four office law firm with 100+ workstations and
5 servers. As long as the machine is on, I could check out any file on any
computer or any server in the entire firm from the comforts of my desk. I
want to be able to do the same thing in our home, but in a wireless
environment. I have practically zero experience in wireless networks. It
was like pulling teeth to get money for IT upgrades, so wireless was
completely out of the question.

Any ideas?

"Axel Hammerschmidt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hx53ld.1hmwp7z1ghi6ymN%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't

want
> > this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be using.

> > want the ability to be able to access files on the computer, without a

user
> > needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on a wired

networked
> > computer.

> Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
> logged in the local machine" on a wired network?
>
> That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?

Pavel A.

You need a client software that will auto-connect (authenticate, login etc.)
to the wireless network and works with win2k.
Obviously, Linksys doesn't bundle such software with their adapters, but
their support may be able to recommend you something.

For the future, you may be interested in the Intel Active Management Technology.

Regards,
--PA

"Roy Avery" <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
> machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
> for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
> software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the network
> without having to be logged on.
>
> Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like it's
> wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
> install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
> without having a user logged onto the machine.
>
> Thank you.

Axel Hammerschmidt

Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:

> "Axel Hammerschmidt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1hx53ld.1hmwp7z1ghi6ymN%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Roy Avery <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't
> > > want this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be
> > > using. I want the ability to be able to access files on the computer,
> > > without a user needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on
> > > a wired networked computer.

> > Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
> > logged in the local machine" on a wired network?
> >
> > That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?

> Yes you can. I don't need a link or a google search. I was the only person
> working in the IT Dept of a four office law firm with 100+ workstations and
> 5 servers. As long as the machine is on, I could check out any file on any
> computer or any server in the entire firm from the comforts of my desk. I
> want to be able to do the same thing in our home, but in a wireless
> environment. I have practically zero experience in wireless networks. It
> was like pulling teeth to get money for IT upgrades, so wireless was
> completely out of the question.
>
> Any ideas?

Run a windows domain.