Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless pc cannot connect to network

wireless pc cannot connect to network

=?Utf-8?B?ZGI=?=

I can see my wireless network on my wireless pc when I "view available
networks" but it will not connect. When I hit the "connect" icon it just says
waiting to connect to network then eventually stops. I have tried connecting
by making my network secured and unsecured but the same thing still happens.
Any suggestions? I have heard there may be a problem with xp that I need to
download a fix for, but am not sure which one to use.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 19-Apr-2007, =?Utf-8?B?ZGI=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can see my wireless network on my wireless pc when I "view available
> networks" but it will not connect. When I hit the "connect" icon it just says
> waiting to connect to network then eventually stops. I have tried connecting
> by making my network secured and unsecured but the same thing still happens.
> Any suggestions? I have heard there may be a problem with xp that I need to
> download a fix for, but am not sure which one to use.

If you are in the UK Netstumbler is frequently on various PC magazine
cover disks, but in any event is a free download. Tells you a lot about
what's around you and what you are trying to connect to.

Start -> Run -> then
ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
and post results here.

XP with all the hotfixes and updates shouldn't have any problems.

Static IP addresses rather than WZC often fixes a lot of
problems.
Other thing to check is Hardware under system management
for the dreaded yellow warning icon that something is wrong,
but as you can see the network, it's probably ok.
As administrator you can look at your systems event logs
for warnings when you try to connect, you can also look at
Services to see what's running, stopped, disabled, started
automatically, etc.
Start troubleshooting in unsecured mode, and when that
works add security.
Use an RJ45 hardwied ethernet connection if you can,
get that working first, then start troubleshooting the
wireless issues.
It's also a good idea to have all the addresses in
the same IP address range, there are two common
defaults, and they don't mix too well if at all.