Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Can I Install WIn2k to Dual Boot with WinXP?

Can I Install WIn2k to Dual Boot with WinXP?

Dean Harris

My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

He is running WinXP Pro and it has started to reboot mostly when he
goes to print from web sites. But there are other sporadic reboots
rarly.

No blue screen.

I ran Maxtors drive test and the drive is fine.

I'm trying to determine if the XP Operating system got damaged during
a power cut. Or basically, I am trying to elimate any software
related issues.

I'd like to install Windows 2000 Professional on the system as a Duel
Boot. If he can do all the same things in Win2K Pro without error
then it's not hardware and he'll need to reinstall WinXP.

But, I need to know if I can install Win2K from the setup disks and
onto a different partition and install Win2k without hosing the WinXP
installation.

Is that doable?

TIA

Dean

Doom

"Dean Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

<snippage>
To answer your question:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...t/mltiboot.asp
or
http://tinyurl.com/7w4o
I would recommend you learn how to google.
Google is real.

Ken Briscoe

"Dean Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip dual boot question>
> Is that doable?

Yeah. Make sure you got it going on a separate partition, though. Ideally,
they tell you to install 2K first, then XP, but I've found that it doesn't
*really* make a difference, but YMMV. Either way, create a new partition
from XP or some such other partition maker, then let rip with the 2K
install. Of course, this might not solve all your problems - especially if
the mobo is junk. Also, before you go doing this, since you know the circuit
is bad, why not plug the computer into a different circuit? Move it to a
different room temporarily, and put it through its paces while plugged into
a different circuit. If all goes well, then you can be pretty sure that it's
power spikes/outages/whateverthefukc causing it, and tell your dad to hire
an electrician to come sort it all out.

Good luck - next time post to a Win2K or XP group, not a cert group.

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

JaR

Dean Harris wrote:

First of all, this does not belong in this NG. Try the A+ group maybe.

> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

Circuit breaker? What circuit breaker?

> He is running WinXP Pro and it has started to reboot mostly when he
> goes to print from web sites. But there are other sporadic reboots
> rarly.

Sounds like power supply going nipples north.

> No blue screen.

Okay.

> I ran Maxtors drive test and the drive is fine.

Umm, okay.

> I'm trying to determine if the XP Operating system got damaged during
> a power cut. Or basically, I am trying to elimate any software
> related issues.

Why? Check your power supply first.

> I'd like to install Windows 2000 Professional on the system as a Duel
> Boot. If he can do all the same things in Win2K Pro without error
> then it's not hardware and he'll

First you need to... Aw screw it. Tell dad to hire a professional. If
you are in my area, my rates are cheap. (So I'm told)

need to reinstall WinXP.

> But, I need to know if I can install Win2K from the setup disks and
> onto a different partition and install Win2k without hosing the WinXP
> installation.
>
> Is that doable?

Yes, but see above before you mess up dad's computer even more.

> TIA

Welcome.

JaR
Cheap Thug

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

Dean Harris wrote:
> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

A monitor sucks a lot of amps. Since you mention a similar problem with
printing, it may be that your printer is also sucking excess amps. Hire an
electrician. Or get a really long extension cord to an outlet that can
handle higher amperage.

Also, get a UPS. A slight drop in voltage can cause a computer to reboot.

Also, an over-heated computer can sporadically reboot.

--
Fris "A, B, C, or all of the above." beeŽ, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.tk

Certaholics

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZiBDcmltbWlucw==?=

fHi Dean,

Before you do anything, make sure you have all the latest service packs and hot fixes. The fact that many freezes occur when "trying to print webpages" is troubling. The UPS suggestion was right on the money!

Even though Dual boots are "generally" not a big deal, don't go down that road unless you have a glarring need to! It sucks up disk space and is a bit of an extreme solution.

I'm curious about when the crashes are actually occuring. Has the information been sent to the printer (you hear the printer initialize)?

Jeff Crimmins - MCSE, MCSA

"Dean Harris" wrote:

> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.
>
> He is running WinXP Pro and it has started to reboot mostly when he
> goes to print from web sites. But there are other sporadic reboots
> rarly.
>
> No blue screen.
>
> I ran Maxtors drive test and the drive is fine.
>
> I'm trying to determine if the XP Operating system got damaged during
> a power cut. Or basically, I am trying to elimate any software
> related issues.
>
> I'd like to install Windows 2000 Professional on the system as a Duel
> Boot. If he can do all the same things in Win2K Pro without error
> then it's not hardware and he'll need to reinstall WinXP.
>
> But, I need to know if I can install Win2K from the setup disks and
> onto a different partition and install Win2k without hosing the WinXP
> installation.
>
> Is that doable?
>
> TIA
>
> Dean

Dean Harris

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:52:02 -0700, "Jeff Crimmins" <Jeff
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>fHi Dean,
>
>Before you do anything, make sure you have all the latest service packs and hot fixes. The fact that many freezes occur when "trying to print webpages" is troubling. The UPS suggestion was right on the money!

It has all the latest patches, latest spyware software, virus scan
software, etc...

>Even though Dual boots are "generally" not a big deal, don't go down that road unless you have a glarring need to! It sucks up disk space and is a bit of an extreme solution.

It's not a big deal. Just wanted to know for sure before I even made
an attempt.

>I'm curious about when the crashes are actually occuring. Has the information been sent to the printer (you hear the printer initialize)?

Not 100% on this but I believe it's the instant he clicks a link and
nothing gets to the printer.

Power supply as others suggested sounds like a good place to look.

>Jeff Crimmins - MCSE, MCSA
>
>"Dean Harris" wrote:
>
>> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
>> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.
>>
>> He is running WinXP Pro and it has started to reboot mostly when he
>> goes to print from web sites. But there are other sporadic reboots
>> rarly.
>>
>> No blue screen.
>>
>> I ran Maxtors drive test and the drive is fine.
>>
>> I'm trying to determine if the XP Operating system got damaged during
>> a power cut. Or basically, I am trying to elimate any software
>> related issues.
>>
>> I'd like to install Windows 2000 Professional on the system as a Duel
>> Boot. If he can do all the same things in Win2K Pro without error
>> then it's not hardware and he'll need to reinstall WinXP.
>>
>> But, I need to know if I can install Win2K from the setup disks and
>> onto a different partition and install Win2k without hosing the WinXP
>> installation.
>>
>> Is that doable?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dean

Dean Harris

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:23:23 -0500, "Doom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dean Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
>> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.
>>

><snippage>
>To answer your question:
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...t/mltiboot.asp
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/7w4o
>I would recommend you learn how to google.
>Google is real.

That's not really helpful. My speciifc question was if I cold install
Win2k *after* WinXP with dual boot without a problem.

You could state the same thing regarding Google for 99% of stuff on
usenet.

Others provided good suggestions. You didn't.

Dean Harris

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:28:24 -0400, "Ken Briscoe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dean Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
><snip dual boot question>
>> Is that doable?

>Yeah. Make sure you got it going on a separate partition, though. Ideally,
>they tell you to install 2K first, then XP, but I've found that it doesn't
>*really* make a difference, but YMMV. Either way, create a new partition
>from XP or some such other partition maker, then let rip with the 2K
>install. Of course, this might not solve all your problems - especially if
>the mobo is junk. Also, before you go doing this, since you know the circuit
>is bad, why not plug the computer into a different circuit? Move it to a
>different room temporarily, and put it through its paces while plugged into
>a different circuit. If all goes well, then you can be pretty sure that it's
>power spikes/outages/whateverthefukc causing it, and tell your dad to hire
>an electrician to come sort it all out.
>
>Good luck - next time post to a Win2K or XP group, not a cert group.

Will do. Thanks.

Dean Harris

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:42:32 -0700, JaR
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dean Harris wrote:
>
>First of all, this does not belong in this NG. Try the A+ group maybe.
>
>> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
>> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

>Circuit breaker? What circuit breaker?

In the apartment.

>Why? Check your power supply first.

Good idea. I'll check the BIOS and see what sort of voltage it's
putting out.

>> I'd like to install Windows 2000 Professional on the system as a Duel
>> Boot. If he can do all the same things in Win2K Pro without error
>> then it's not hardware and he'll

>First you need to... Aw screw it. Tell dad to hire a professional. If
>you are in my area, my rates are cheap. (So I'm told)

It's amazing how little I want to do with family PC's for free.

>need to reinstall WinXP.

If it's a hardware issue then that's a waste of time.

>Yes, but see above before you mess up dad's computer even more.

? In the industry since '94. All my PC's are handbuilt.

I have little free time to screw around. Been doing web
marketing/design past 3 years so lost a lot of good helpdesk and
administration knowledge.