Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wifi on Toshiba 1800 with Win2k

Wifi on Toshiba 1800 with Win2k

Ron S

I'm trying to get the wifi working on a Toshiba Satellite 1800. This is
one that had no HD. I installed an HD and installed Win2k SP4 on it. I
downloaded the drivers from the web and got everything working except
the wifi. I can successfully connect to my LAN if I plug in the ethernet
cable. I know my wifi access point is working because I can connect
using my other laptops and PDA. The Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager
sees my wireless network ok, shows a good signal, and even shows the
right MAC address of the access point. It passes all of its diagnostics.
All the hardware seems to be working fine. I guess this is a Windows
networking configuration issue. I can't get Windows to connect to the
network using the wifi connection. In Network and Dial-up Connections I
have two entries. One is "Local Area Connection". This is the ethernet
connection. This works fine. The second one is "Local Area Connection
2", which says Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card under Device Name.
This does appear to be the correct device that Wireless LAN Client
Manager is connected with. (If I disable that device in Device Manager,
the signal in LAN Client Manager disappears.) but the status is always
Network Cable Unplugged and I can't access the LAN or the Web or
anything. What I am I missing here?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Some where, some thing, is misconfigured.
There is not enough info to pinpoint where. Read the following pages and
check evry thing as suggeted.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ron S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to get the wifi working on a Toshiba Satellite 1800. This is
> one that had no HD. I installed an HD and installed Win2k SP4 on it. I
> downloaded the drivers from the web and got everything working except the
> wifi. I can successfully connect to my LAN if I plug in the ethernet
> cable. I know my wifi access point is working because I can connect using
> my other laptops and PDA. The Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager sees my
> wireless network ok, shows a good signal, and even shows the right MAC
> address of the access point. It passes all of its diagnostics. All the
> hardware seems to be working fine. I guess this is a Windows networking
> configuration issue. I can't get Windows to connect to the network using
> the wifi connection. In Network and Dial-up Connections I have two
> entries. One is "Local Area Connection". This is the ethernet connection.
> This works fine. The second one is "Local Area Connection 2", which says
> Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card under Device Name. This does appear to
> be the correct device that Wireless LAN Client Manager is connected with.
> (If I disable that device in Device Manager, the signal in LAN Client
> Manager disappears.) but the status is always Network Cable Unplugged and
> I can't access the LAN or the Web or anything. What I am I missing here?

Ron S

I've looked at all this stuff. I actually found it kinda frustrating
looking at this stuff. Everything looks like what it's supposed to look
like, except for the "Network Cable Unplugged" thing, which I think is
the symptom I'm trying to troubleshoot.

I don't see anything that appears out of the ordinary. Devices shows it
to be operational. Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager shows it to be
operational. Network and Dial-up Connections says "Network Cable
Unplugged". What would cause this?

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> Some where, some thing, is misconfigured.
> There is not enough info to pinpoint where. Read the following pages and
> check evry thing as suggeted.
> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Ron S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm trying to get the wifi working on a Toshiba Satellite 1800. This is
>> one that had no HD. I installed an HD and installed Win2k SP4 on it. I
>> downloaded the drivers from the web and got everything working except the
>> wifi. I can successfully connect to my LAN if I plug in the ethernet
>> cable. I know my wifi access point is working because I can connect using
>> my other laptops and PDA. The Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager sees my
>> wireless network ok, shows a good signal, and even shows the right MAC
>> address of the access point. It passes all of its diagnostics. All the
>> hardware seems to be working fine. I guess this is a Windows networking
>> configuration issue. I can't get Windows to connect to the network using
>> the wifi connection. In Network and Dial-up Connections I have two
>> entries. One is "Local Area Connection". This is the ethernet connection.
>> This works fine. The second one is "Local Area Connection 2", which says
>> Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card under Device Name. This does appear to
>> be the correct device that Wireless LAN Client Manager is connected with.
>> (If I disable that device in Device Manager, the signal in LAN Client
>> Manager disappears.) but the status is always Network Cable Unplugged and
>> I can't access the LAN or the Web or anything. What I am I missing here?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If there was only one simple thing that causes the error, the answer would
be simple. However many problems that does not produce a solid connection
between the computer and the Router can cause such a display.
So you have to read and check all the settings as mentioned in the pages, if
you can not find any thing or fell that this is not your "cup of tea" try to
seek local professional advice.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ron S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've looked at all this stuff. I actually found it kinda frustrating
> looking at this stuff. Everything looks like what it's supposed to look
> like, except for the "Network Cable Unplugged" thing, which I think is the
> symptom I'm trying to troubleshoot.
>
> I don't see anything that appears out of the ordinary. Devices shows it to
> be operational. Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager shows it to be
> operational. Network and Dial-up Connections says "Network Cable
> Unplugged". What would cause this?
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>> Hi
>> Some where, some thing, is misconfigured.
>> There is not enough info to pinpoint where. Read the following pages and
>> check evry thing as suggeted.
>> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
>> Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
>> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Ron S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm trying to get the wifi working on a Toshiba Satellite 1800. This is
>>> one that had no HD. I installed an HD and installed Win2k SP4 on it. I
>>> downloaded the drivers from the web and got everything working except
>>> the wifi. I can successfully connect to my LAN if I plug in the ethernet
>>> cable. I know my wifi access point is working because I can connect
>>> using my other laptops and PDA. The Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager
>>> sees my wireless network ok, shows a good signal, and even shows the
>>> right MAC address of the access point. It passes all of its diagnostics.
>>> All the hardware seems to be working fine. I guess this is a Windows
>>> networking configuration issue. I can't get Windows to connect to the
>>> network using the wifi connection. In Network and Dial-up Connections I
>>> have two entries. One is "Local Area Connection". This is the ethernet
>>> connection. This works fine. The second one is "Local Area Connection
>>> 2", which says Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card under Device Name.
>>> This does appear to be the correct device that Wireless LAN Client
>>> Manager is connected with. (If I disable that device in Device Manager,
>>> the signal in LAN Client Manager disappears.) but the status is always
>>> Network Cable Unplugged and I can't access the LAN or the Web or
>>> anything. What I am I missing here?

Ron S

I AM a professional. I've worked in IT for 27 years and I've resurrected
several PCs with no HDs as a hobby/side job. >>read and check all the
settings as mentioned in the pages<< isn't helping. All the settings on
these pages are correct. I think I may have missed installing some
Toshiba-specific or mini-pci-wireless-lan-card-specific piece of
software, or I have the wrong driver version, or something like that. I
was hoping someone out there might be able to give me something more
specific to check for.

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> If there was only one simple thing that causes the error, the answer would
> be simple. However many problems that does not produce a solid connection
> between the computer and the Router can cause such a display.
> So you have to read and check all the settings as mentioned in the pages, if
> you can not find any thing or fell that this is not your "cup of tea" try to
> seek local professional advice.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Ron S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've looked at all this stuff. I actually found it kinda frustrating
>> looking at this stuff. Everything looks like what it's supposed to look
>> like, except for the "Network Cable Unplugged" thing, which I think is the
>> symptom I'm trying to troubleshoot.
>>
>> I don't see anything that appears out of the ordinary. Devices shows it to
>> be operational. Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager shows it to be
>> operational. Network and Dial-up Connections says "Network Cable
>> Unplugged". What would cause this?
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Some where, some thing, is misconfigured.
>>> There is not enough info to pinpoint where. Read the following pages and
>>> check evry thing as suggeted.
>>> My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
>>> Wireless, Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
>>> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Ron S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Lem

Ron S wrote:
> I AM a professional. I've worked in IT for 27 years and I've resurrected
> several PCs with no HDs as a hobby/side job. >>read and check all the
> settings as mentioned in the pages<< isn't helping. All the settings on
> these pages are correct. I think I may have missed installing some
> Toshiba-specific or mini-pci-wireless-lan-card-specific piece of
> software, or I have the wrong driver version, or something like that. I
> was hoping someone out there might be able to give me something more
> specific to check for.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
>> Hi
>> If there was only one simple thing that causes the error, the answer
>> would be simple. However many problems that does not produce a solid
>> connection between the computer and the Router can cause such a display.
>> So you have to read and check all the settings as mentioned in the
>> pages, if you can not find any thing or fell that this is not your
>> "cup of tea" try to seek local professional advice.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Ron S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've looked at all this stuff. I actually found it kinda frustrating
>>> looking at this stuff. Everything looks like what it's supposed to
>>> look like, except for the "Network Cable Unplugged" thing, which I
>>> think is the symptom I'm trying to troubleshoot.
>>>
>>> I don't see anything that appears out of the ordinary. Devices shows
>>> it to be operational. Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager shows it to
>>> be operational. Network and Dial-up Connections says "Network Cable
>>> Unplugged". What would cause this?

Ron, although the name of this ng is "windows.networking.wireless" most
posters -- by far -- use some flavor of WinXP rather than Win2k. You
might get more relevant knowledge if you post in
microsoft.public.win2000.networking, and I'd use a topic like, "Wifi
shows Network Cable Unplugged but it isn't" or something like that.

For further diagnostic info, try running ipconfig /all from a command
prompt.

I'm not familiar enough with Win2k to tell you what's wrong, although it
does sound as if the wrong driver could be the issue. Double check that
you downloaded the correct Win2k driver. While you're waiting for a
response from the Win2k networking folks, you might try the procedure in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924/en-us but back up the registry
first. And I suspect that it won't cure the underlying problem.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Daniel Thomas

I had the same problem with a Satellite 1405-S151.
After hours of looking around I found this patch for the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pcmcia\Parameters

"DisableIsaToPciRouting"=dword:00000000

Worked like a charm for me...

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Daniel Thomas

I had the same problem with a Satellite 1405-S151.
After hours of looking around I found this patch for the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pcmcia\Parameters

"DisableIsaToPciRouting"=dword:00000000

Worked like a charm for me...

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Daniel Thomas

I had the same problem with a Satellite 1405-S151.
After hours of looking around I found this patch for the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\
Pcmcia\Parameters

"DisableIsaToPciRouting"=dword:00000000

Worked like a charm for me...

Sorry about the multi posts, but the data went missing for some reason

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmsgUXVpbm4=?=

I can't believe this actually worked! Worked for my Toshibe Portege 4000 - I
was having the same problems - been fighting with it for days! Cheers Daniel!