Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to find out if my PC can connect wirelessly

How to find out if my PC can connect wirelessly

=?Utf-8?B?YmFmZmxlZDMy?=

We have moved house and now wish to link our one PC to internet wirelessly.
Have modem etc but not sure if PC is capable of connecting.

How/where do I look to find out if it has a wireless card plesae. One item
I read said look for icon in Control Panle - but don't know what the icon
should look like.
Plus if it isn't capable - what do I need to buy.

Hope somoneone can hlep - thansk.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 13-Apr-2007, =?Utf-8?B?YmFmZmxlZDMy?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How/where do I look to find out if it has a wireless card plesae.

If XP try Control Panel then Computer Management then
Administrative Tools then Device Manager then right hand
pane Network Devices.
If you have an installed wireless device it should show there.

Note if it's a laptop, wireless devices sometimes are
switched off but (in theory) should still show.
Very unlikely is the situation where you have an
uninstalled or improperly installed wireless device.
In this situation I would expect to see it in Network
Devices with a warning icon, or a message new
hardware found.
If you haven't got a network device you can go for
a wireless adapter. I like USB wireless adapters
since you can move them on the end of the USB
cable to get the best signal.
Cards with aerials can get screened by the case
being between the aerial and the access point.
But it's horses for courses, each has its
advocates.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"baffled32" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have moved house and now wish to link our one PC to internet
> wirelessly.
> Have modem etc but not sure if PC is capable of connecting.
>
> How/where do I look to find out if it has a wireless card plesae. One
> item
> I read said look for icon in Control Panle - but don't know what the icon
> should look like.
> Plus if it isn't capable - what do I need to buy.
>
> Hope somoneone can hlep - thansk.

=?Utf-8?B?YmFmZmxlZDMy?=

Thanks so much - so obvious when you know how!