Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Automatically connect to non-preferred networks

Automatically connect to non-preferred networks

Rick

what does the setting "Automatically connect to non-preferred
networks" do in a wireless policy?

thanks
Rick

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Usually it results with the computer connecting to the strongest Access
Point that can be found around.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> what does the setting "Automatically connect to non-preferred
> networks" do in a wireless policy?
>
> thanks
> Rick

Yi Lu [MSFT]

If the computer cannot connect to any preferred network, it will
automatically try to connect to networks that are around. It may end up
being connected to a unsecured malicious network.

Yi
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights. Use of sample
scripts is subject to the terms provided at

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> what does the setting "Automatically connect to non-preferred
> networks" do in a wireless policy?
>
> thanks
> Rick

BruceM

But if you are in a uni or somewhere that has several access points around
the campus it allows your comp to "roam" & find the strongest signal.
Usually on a dif channel.

"Yi Lu [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the computer cannot connect to any preferred network, it will
> automatically try to connect to networks that are around. It may end up
> being connected to a unsecured malicious network.
>
> Yi
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights. Use of sample
> scripts is subject to the terms provided at
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> what does the setting "Automatically connect to non-preferred
>> networks" do in a wireless policy?
>>
>> thanks
>> Rick

Yi Lu [MSFT]

The preferred network is at the SSID layer. There can be multiple access
points using the same SSID. For example, SSID "university" can have access
points "AP1", "AP2", etc. As long as "university" is your preferred network,
the computer can roam among "AP1", "AP2". You don't have to enable
"automatically connect to non-preferred networks".

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights. Use of sample
scripts is subject to the terms provided at

"BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> But if you are in a uni or somewhere that has several access points around
> the campus it allows your comp to "roam" & find the strongest signal.
> Usually on a dif channel.
>

> "Yi Lu [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If the computer cannot connect to any preferred network, it will
>> automatically try to connect to networks that are around. It may end up
>> being connected to a unsecured malicious network.
>>
>> Yi
>> --
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights. Use of sample
>> scripts is subject to the terms provided at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
>>
>> "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>> what does the setting "Automatically connect to non-preferred
>>> networks" do in a wireless policy?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Rick

Rick

I see, I am setting this laptop up for a user that has a laptop on our
domain and we are enforcing a wireless policy. we do not have that
option checked now so when they leave our campus they cannot connect.
It is my understanding if I enable this option, when they are on
campus it will go to the preferred network first. when they leave our
campus and are in a Hotel, Airport etc, it should find the next best
network, since it can't find the preferred network.

Rick