Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > What can I do if I lost my network key?

What can I do if I lost my network key?

=?Utf-8?B?SW5maW5pemUxMg==?=

I current using my own wireless network at home. A few days ago I install
the progam called "JUMPSTART" to tighten the security of my wireless network.
As a result, that program decided the network key for my network without
telling what that network key is. Right now I am the only one who can use
this network because I am using the network key that was saved in my
computer. I really need that network key because apparently I am not the
only one who use this network. Is there any way I can retrieve the network
key?!

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

Hi

If you open your web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 This brings up the
router access page. Leave the user name empty in the password field type
admin. This will give you access to your settings. Click wireless, wireless
security and you should find the network key there.

"Infinize12" wrote:

> I current using my own wireless network at home. A few days ago I install
> the progam called "JUMPSTART" to tighten the security of my wireless network.
> As a result, that program decided the network key for my network without
> telling what that network key is. Right now I am the only one who can use
> this network because I am using the network key that was saved in my
> computer. I really need that network key because apparently I am not the
> only one who use this network. Is there any way I can retrieve the network
> key?!

Alphakenny1

when i open my web browser to the 192.168.1.1 site and type admin in the
password field it does nothing, accept ask the question again. Is there
another way to find your network key?

"Jon" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If you open your web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 This brings up the
> router access page. Leave the user name empty in the password field type
> admin. This will give you access to your settings. Click wireless, wireless
> security and you should find the network key there.
>
> "Infinize12" wrote:
>
> > I current using my own wireless network at home. A few days ago I install
> > the progam called "JUMPSTART" to tighten the security of my wireless network.
> > As a result, that program decided the network key for my network without
> > telling what that network key is. Right now I am the only one who can use
> > this network because I am using the network key that was saved in my
> > computer. I really need that network key because apparently I am not the
> > only one who use this network. Is there any way I can retrieve the network
> > key?!

Lem

Alphakenny1 wrote:
> when i open my web browser to the 192.168.1.1 site and type admin in the
> password field it does nothing, accept ask the question again. Is there
> another way to find your network key?
>
> "Jon" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> If you open your web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 This brings up the
>> router access page. Leave the user name empty in the password field type
>> admin. This will give you access to your settings. Click wireless, wireless
>> security and you should find the network key there.
>>
>> "Infinize12" wrote:
>>
>>> I current using my own wireless network at home. A few days ago I install
>>> the progam called "JUMPSTART" to tighten the security of my wireless network.
>>> As a result, that program decided the network key for my network without
>>> telling what that network key is. Right now I am the only one who can use
>>> this network because I am using the network key that was saved in my
>>> computer. I really need that network key because apparently I am not the
>>> only one who use this network. Is there any way I can retrieve the network
>>> key?!

Although "admin" is a very common default password for home routers, it
is not the only one. You didn't mention what make and model router you
have, so take a look here: http://www.routerpasswords.com/index.asp

Furthermore, if you changed the router's access password, only you know
what you changed it to.

If all else fails, you can reset your router to factory defaults. The
procedure for doing so will be explained in the router's User Guide. It
usually is accomplished by pressing the "reset" button for 10 or 20
seconds, but some routers have a bit more complex set of directions to
reset.

Note that if you do reset the router to factory defaults, not only will
the access password be reset, but your wireless encryption password (the
"network key" that you're looking for) will be blanked and the
encryption set to "none." In addition, as any information you might
need to log on to your ISP account will have to be re-entered.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

smlunatick

On Mar 8, 11:24*pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> Alphakenny1 wrote:
> > when i open my web browser to the 192.168.1.1 *site and type admin in the
> > password field it does nothing, accept ask the question again. *Is there
> > another way to find your network key?

> > "Jon" wrote:

> >> Hi

> >> If you open your web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 This brings up the
> >> router access page. Leave the user name empty in the password field type
> >> admin. This will give you access to your settings. Click wireless, wireless
> >> security and you should find the network key there.

> Although "admin" is a very common default password for home routers, it
> is not the only one. You didn't mention what make and model router you
> have, so take a look here:http://www.routerpasswords.com/index.asp
>
> Furthermore, if you changed the router's access password, only you know
> what you changed it to.
>
> If all else fails, you can reset your router to factory defaults. The
> procedure for doing so will be explained in the router's User Guide. It
> usually is accomplished by pressing the "reset" button for 10 or 20
> seconds, but some routers have a bit more complex set of directions to
> reset.
>
> Note that if you do reset the router to factory defaults, not only will
> the access password be reset, but your wireless encryption password (the
> "network key" that you're looking for) will be blanked and the
> encryption set to "none." *In addition, as any information you might
> need to log on to your ISP account will have to be re-entered.
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP
>
> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_.../compessay.htm

If the OP is using Wireless Zero Configuration they might be able to
retrieve the wireless network key with:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Lem

smlunatick wrote:

> If the OP is using Wireless Zero Configuration they might be able to
> retrieve the wireless network key with:
>
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Thanks for that link, smlunatick.

--