Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > VHDL and Emacs (My experience)

Reply
Thread Tools

VHDL and Emacs (My experience)

 
 
mans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2007
Hello,

I am new in VHDL and Emacs and I tried to use Emacs for editing VHDL
and attaching it to ISE. My experience is as follow:



Overall:



Emacs has a very good editor for VHDL editing. It has several good features
such as auto indentation and syntax highlighting. Over all it is very good
if you can use it (I could not!)



What I did:

I download my copy of Emacs from
http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html . I installed it in my
windows XP professional system and setup ISE to use it. It works well with
ISE.



Problems that I had:



1- Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to configure
wmacsw32 without any success.

2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

3- I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I can not
turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).

4- I can not find any documentation on facilities which are available
in VHDL mode.

5- Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
disappears!



Best regards



Ps: Does Eclipse support VHDL?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Treseler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2007
mans wrote:


>
> 1- Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based.


True, but the the arrow keys, and mouse, and menus
work without knowing any shortcuts.

> 2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)


True. I just leave it running all day.

> 3- I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I can not
> turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).


That requires vhdl-mode and speedbar.
vhdl-mode.el is not included in most windows distributions,
get it here:
http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/emacs/vhdl-mode.html

> Ps: Does Eclipse support VHDL?


Not like it support Java.


-- Mike Treseler
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gerhard Hoffmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2007
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:03:10 GMT, "mans" <(myname_here)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am new in VHDL and Emacs and I tried to use Emacs for editing VHDL
>and attaching it to ISE. My experience is as follow:


I did the same with gvim. Works nicely. (please not another vi/emacs war!)

But one this is annoying: If I ask ISE for a syntax check etc, the first thing it does
is to kill all editor processes it has started. That's bad because some editors may
contain a changed file that is not yet written back or even may be editing something
completely unrelated in the meantime.

I usually have a lot of files open: the file with the entity, instantiation,
global constants, test bed...

Is there a switch I may have missed?

regards, Gerhard
 
Reply With Quote
 
mans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2007
>

> Thanks for telling us about the problems so we may try to get them fixed.


Thank you for helping me to solve the problem.

>
>> 1- Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to
>> configure wmacsw32 without any success.

>
> Can you please tell me what you did and how it failed? There is a quick
> setup for those things if you use the menus:
>
> Options - Customize EmacsW32 ...


I did use this option and it didn't work for me. I set the CUA in option and
it is working. One point that probably confuse people is that even in this
case, the short cuts in edit menu is not C-x and C-c and so on.


>
>> 2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

>
> You should use EmacsClient and only start Emacs once.
>
> Making it easy to get started using EmacsClient is one of the main things
> the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 is trying to help you with. Several
> shortcuts gets installed that lets you start Emacs through EmacsClient.
> There is one in the start menu and you get one in the SendTo menu. If you
> prefer working from the command line there is a command line script called
> e.cmd for this.
>
> If you use the patched version then Emacs server gets started
> automatically through those shortcuts and or the command line scripts.
> (For the unpatched version you have to start Emacs server yourself, please
> read the Emacs manual.)




I think I don't have the patched version. I will try to see what I can do
with this but as long as I am not closing emacs after each edit, I don't
need to restart it. I am happy!


>> 5- Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
>> disappears!

>
> Can you please describe this more? Exactly when does this happen?




It happens before to me but it is working well now. I will post the details
if it happens again to me.





More on new and old problems that I have:



1- I can set speedbar and used it. It is a very useful facility. The problem
is that I can not dock it into emacs. Is there any way to dock it into emacs
so it doesn't start as a new window?

2- If I have a file that I modified with ISE, when I open it with Emacs, I
can see a ^M at the end of each line. This generates error during
indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or by
any other tools?



One suggestion:

As during editing, it is possible to edit several files, is there any way
to save all files just by pressing a button on toolbar or a menu item?



My view of emacs for editing VHDL is no changed and I am very happy to use
it with VHDL.



Best regards and thanks for helping to use emacs.


 
Reply With Quote
 
JK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2007
On Apr 29, 7:47 pm, "mans" <(myname_here)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Thanks for telling us about the problems so we may try to get them fixed.

>
> Thank you for helping me to solve the problem.
>
>
>
> >> 1- Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to
> >> configure wmacsw32 without any success.

>
> > Can you please tell me what you did and how it failed? There is a quick
> > setup for those things if you use the menus:

>
> > Options - Customize EmacsW32 ...

>
> I did use this option and it didn't work for me. I set the CUA in option and
> it is working. One point that probably confuse people is that even in this
> case, the short cuts in edit menu is not C-x and C-c and so on.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >> 2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

>
> > You should use EmacsClient and only start Emacs once.

>
> > Making it easy to get started using EmacsClient is one of the main things
> > the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 is trying to help you with. Several
> > shortcuts gets installed that lets you start Emacs through EmacsClient.
> > There is one in the start menu and you get one in the SendTo menu. If you
> > prefer working from the command line there is a command line script called
> > e.cmd for this.

>
> > If you use the patched version then Emacs server gets started
> > automatically through those shortcuts and or the command line scripts.
> > (For the unpatched version you have to start Emacs server yourself, please
> > read the Emacs manual.)

>
> I think I don't have the patched version. I will try to see what I can do
> with this but as long as I am not closing emacs after each edit, I don't
> need to restart it. I am happy!
>
> >> 5- Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
> >> disappears!

>
> > Can you please describe this more? Exactly when does this happen?

>
> It happens before to me but it is working well now. I will post the details
> if it happens again to me.
>
> More on new and old problems that I have:
>
> 1- I can set speedbar and used it. It is a very useful facility. The problem
> is that I can not dock it into emacs. Is there any way to dock it into emacs
> so it doesn't start as a new window?
>
> 2- If I have a file that I modified with ISE, when I open it with Emacs, I
> can see a ^M at the end of each line. This generates error during
> indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
> manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or by
> any other tools?
>
> One suggestion:
>
> As during editing, it is possible to edit several files, is there any way
> to save all files just by pressing a button on toolbar or a menu item?
>
> My view of emacs for editing VHDL is no changed and I am very happy to use
> it with VHDL.
>
> Best regards and thanks for helping to use emacs.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


I downloaded emacs - windows version from http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/e...2-dl-latest.pl
(Download Latest EmacsW32 + Emacs patched).
It supports vhdl mode. Its really good. You can give a try.

JK
I

 
Reply With Quote
 
mans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2007

"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Apr 29, 7:47 pm, "mans" <(myname_here)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Thanks for telling us about the problems so we may try to get them
>> > fixed.

>>
>> Thank you for helping me to solve the problem.
>>
>>
>>
>> >> 1- Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to
>> >> configure wmacsw32 without any success.

>>
>> > Can you please tell me what you did and how it failed? There is a quick
>> > setup for those things if you use the menus:

>>
>> > Options - Customize EmacsW32 ...

>>
>> I did use this option and it didn't work for me. I set the CUA in option
>> and
>> it is working. One point that probably confuse people is that even in
>> this
>> case, the short cuts in edit menu is not C-x and C-c and so on.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> >> 2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

>>
>> > You should use EmacsClient and only start Emacs once.

>>
>> > Making it easy to get started using EmacsClient is one of the main
>> > things
>> > the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 is trying to help you with. Several
>> > shortcuts gets installed that lets you start Emacs through EmacsClient.
>> > There is one in the start menu and you get one in the SendTo menu. If
>> > you
>> > prefer working from the command line there is a command line script
>> > called
>> > e.cmd for this.

>>
>> > If you use the patched version then Emacs server gets started
>> > automatically through those shortcuts and or the command line scripts.
>> > (For the unpatched version you have to start Emacs server yourself,
>> > please
>> > read the Emacs manual.)

>>
>> I think I don't have the patched version. I will try to see what I can do
>> with this but as long as I am not closing emacs after each edit, I don't
>> need to restart it. I am happy!
>>
>> >> 5- Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
>> >> disappears!

>>
>> > Can you please describe this more? Exactly when does this happen?

>>
>> It happens before to me but it is working well now. I will post the
>> details
>> if it happens again to me.
>>
>> More on new and old problems that I have:
>>
>> 1- I can set speedbar and used it. It is a very useful facility. The
>> problem
>> is that I can not dock it into emacs. Is there any way to dock it into
>> emacs
>> so it doesn't start as a new window?
>>
>> 2- If I have a file that I modified with ISE, when I open it with Emacs,
>> I
>> can see a ^M at the end of each line. This generates error during
>> indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
>> manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or
>> by
>> any other tools?
>>
>> One suggestion:
>>
>> As during editing, it is possible to edit several files, is there any
>> way
>> to save all files just by pressing a button on toolbar or a menu item?
>>
>> My view of emacs for editing VHDL is no changed and I am very happy to
>> use
>> it with VHDL.
>>
>> Best regards and thanks for helping to use emacs.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
> I downloaded emacs - windows version from
> http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/e...2-dl-latest.pl
> (Download Latest EmacsW32 + Emacs patched).
> It supports vhdl mode. Its really good. You can give a try.
>
> JK
> I


If you use it with ISE, would you please tell me how did you setup ISE to
use it?
In my setup, emacs is runs every time and also when I click on an error in
ISE, it can not bring me to the specific line in the source code.

Best regards


 
Reply With Quote
 
JK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2007
On Apr 30, 4:27 pm, "mans" <(myname_here)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Apr 29, 7:47 pm, "mans" <(myname_here)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> > Thanks for telling us about the problems so we may try to get them
> >> > fixed.

>
> >> Thank you for helping me to solve the problem.

>
> >> >> 1- Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to
> >> >> configure wmacsw32 without any success.

>
> >> > Can you please tell me what you did and how it failed? There is a quick
> >> > setup for those things if you use the menus:

>
> >> > Options - Customize EmacsW32 ...

>
> >> I did use this option and it didn't work for me. I set the CUA in option
> >> and
> >> it is working. One point that probably confuse people is that even in
> >> this
> >> case, the short cuts in edit menu is not C-x and C-c and so on.

>
> >> >> 2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

>
> >> > You should use EmacsClient and only start Emacs once.

>
> >> > Making it easy to get started using EmacsClient is one of the main
> >> > things
> >> > the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 is trying to help you with. Several
> >> > shortcuts gets installed that lets you start Emacs through EmacsClient.
> >> > There is one in the start menu and you get one in the SendTo menu. If
> >> > you
> >> > prefer working from the command line there is a command line script
> >> > called
> >> > e.cmd for this.

>
> >> > If you use the patched version then Emacs server gets started
> >> > automatically through those shortcuts and or the command line scripts.
> >> > (For the unpatched version you have to start Emacs server yourself,
> >> > please
> >> > read the Emacs manual.)

>
> >> I think I don't have the patched version. I will try to see what I can do
> >> with this but as long as I am not closing emacs after each edit, I don't
> >> need to restart it. I am happy!

>
> >> >> 5- Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
> >> >> disappears!

>
> >> > Can you please describe this more? Exactly when does this happen?

>
> >> It happens before to me but it is working well now. I will post the
> >> details
> >> if it happens again to me.

>
> >> More on new and old problems that I have:

>
> >> 1- I can set speedbar and used it. It is a very useful facility. The
> >> problem
> >> is that I can not dock it into emacs. Is there any way to dock it into
> >> emacs
> >> so it doesn't start as a new window?

>
> >> 2- If I have a file that I modified with ISE, when I open it with Emacs,
> >> I
> >> can see a ^M at the end of each line. This generates error during
> >> indentation. I could not find any way to fix it. I only can remove them
> >> manually which is time consuming. Any way to do this in emacs or ISE or
> >> by
> >> any other tools?

>
> >> One suggestion:

>
> >> As during editing, it is possible to edit several files, is there any
> >> way
> >> to save all files just by pressing a button on toolbar or a menu item?

>
> >> My view of emacs for editing VHDL is no changed and I am very happy to
> >> use
> >> it with VHDL.

>
> >> Best regards and thanks for helping to use emacs.- Hide quoted text -

>
> >> - Show quoted text -

>
> > I downloaded emacs - windows version from
> >http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/e...2-dl-latest.pl
> > (Download Latest EmacsW32 + Emacs patched).
> > It supports vhdl mode. Its really good. You can give a try.

>
> > JK
> > I

>
> If you use it with ISE, would you please tell me how did you setup ISE to
> use it?
> In my setup, emacs is runs every time and also when I click on an error in
> ISE, it can not bring me to the specific line in the source code.
>
> Best regards- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


No, I am not using Emacs with ISE. For Design Entry I am using
Emacs32 only and in this, I set Compiler as Modelsim.
So, once I complete my coding, I do compilation in Emacs32 itself to
check syntax errors if any.

Regards,
JK

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Treseler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2007
JK wrote:


> I downloaded emacs - windows version from
> http://www.ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/e...2-dl-latest.pl
> (Download Latest EmacsW32 + Emacs patched).
> It supports vhdl mode. Its really good. You can give a try.


I just did. That's the best windows install I've seen.
Speedbar and vhdl-mode are built-in and *work*.

However, I'll keep my linux box until
there is a real shell integrated
just as well.

-- Mike Treseler
 
Reply With Quote
 
JussiJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2007
mans (myname_here) wrote:

> Over all it is very good if you can use it (I could not!)


You could try the Zeus for Windows IDE:

http://www.zeusedit.com
NOTE: Zeus is shareware.

It should be easy enough to configure Zeus for VHDL.

FWIW the next Zeus release will come with better configuration
for VHDL and will also add code folding for the VHDL language.

> Problems that I had:
>
> 1- Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried
> to configure wmacsw32 without any success.


The Zeus keyboard is Windows aware and is also fully configurable.

> 2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)


Generally Zeus will load in less than a second.

> 3- I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I
> can not turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).


Zeus provides code hierarchy via the information provided by
the ctags utility.

I am not sure if ctags supports VHDL, but if it does this information
should apear in the class panel of the navigator.

Cheers Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows IDE

 
Reply With Quote
 
mit.brooks@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2007

> If you use it with ISE, would you please tell me how did you setup ISE to
> use it?
> In my setup, emacs is runs every time and also when I click on an error in
> ISE, it can not bring me to the specific line in the source code.
>
> Best regards


I use Emacs with ISE -
go to http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_d...PagePath=13713
to find out how to integrate emacs with ISE.
$2 = line number, $1 = file name

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emacs VHDL-mode Next-Error, Previous-Error, and First-Error are not working...? BlackHelicopter VHDL 2 02-12-2013 01:12 AM
Emacs VHDL-Mode Problem : vhdl-update-sensitivity-process omara007 VHDL 0 01-06-2010 03:47 AM
VHDL-2002 vs VHDL-93 vs VHDL-87? afd VHDL 1 03-23-2007 09:33 AM
Trouble running Emacs-EPL (to run perl in emacs). Adam Funk Perl Misc 4 01-29-2007 10:42 AM
emacs vhdl-mode Rick Jackson VHDL 10 11-30-2005 12:09 PM



Advertisments