Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Create Excel file using asp.net

Create Excel file using asp.net

Rahul

I want to create an excel file for report in asp.net 2.0 ...
without having office installed on the server.

Rahul

mortb

The fastest way is to create a html file containing a table and renaming it
to .xls
We use this for large files. The html is created using a webcontrol which
we've written on which we call the render function using a htmltextwriter
that wraps a stringwriter.

If you want more of the excel functionallity you'd have to get some excel
output component.

hope this helps!
/mortb

"Rahul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to create an excel file for report in asp.net 2.0 ...
> without having office installed on the server.
>
> Rahul

Mark Rae

"Rahul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>I want to create an excel file for report in asp.net 2.0 ...

No problem.

> without having office installed on the server.

Hurrah! Glad to hear it!

Basically, you have three choices:

1) HTML
Create an HTML document and save it with a .xls extension - Excel will open
it and treat it like a native Excel file. This method is very simple and, of
course, free - however, it won't allow you to have more than one worksheet
in the Excel workbook...

2) Use the (relatively) new XML file format
This is also free, and incredibly powerful, but not for the faint-hearted...

3) Use Aspose
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspos...s/Default.aspx
This is not free, but is extremely simple to use.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Rahul,

See this http://chicago.sourceforge.net/devel/docs/excel/

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

R> I want to create an excel file for report in asp.net 2.0 ... without
R> having office installed on the server.
R>
R> Rahul

You could open an existing Excel file and modify it as an ADO.NET data
source:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1439ff12d7473d

Or here are some other ways to create Excel output:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ExcelExport.aspx

Here's a free control that can help with Excel output (and Word, PowerPoint,
and WordPerfect output):
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ExportPanel.aspx

And here are a couple good 3rd party products that can make your chores
easy:
http://SteveOrr.net/reviews/AsposeExcel.aspx
http://SteveOrr.net/reviews/OfficeWriter.aspx

--