Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem with Focus method with iehp.exe on thin client

Problem with Focus method with iehp.exe on thin client

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBBdXN0aW4=?=

The HP t5520 Windows CE based thin client comes with a browser called
'Internet Explorer' - iehp.exe. It appears to have Java script
(Request.Browser.JavaScript = True). I want to use this browser in
conjunction with a 'keyboard wedge' magnetic card reader (and no keyboard) to
record the arrival of staff and to display information about the employees
jobs for the day. The webform has a textbox that must maintain focus so that
when a magnetic card is swiped, the card details are recorded and the form
submitted. Page_Load has textbox1.Focus which does the job fine in IE7, but
does not work with hpie.exe (Request.Browser.Type="Mozilla"). I know nothing
about Java script or how .Focus works. Is there any way of fixing this
problem, or is there a Windows CE browser that would make .Focus work?
--
John Austin

Ben Rush

Try this and let me know what it does:

http://www.ben-rush.net/blog/PermaLi...d8c499a&dotnet

If JavaScript is truly enabled, then something like that should work for
you.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~
Ben Rush

"John Austin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The HP t5520 Windows CE based thin client comes with a browser called
> 'Internet Explorer' - iehp.exe. It appears to have Java script
> (Request.Browser.JavaScript = True). I want to use this browser in
> conjunction with a 'keyboard wedge' magnetic card reader (and no keyboard)
> record the arrival of staff and to display information about the employees
> jobs for the day. The webform has a textbox that must maintain focus so
> that
> when a magnetic card is swiped, the card details are recorded and the form
> submitted. Page_Load has textbox1.Focus which does the job fine in IE7,
> but
> does not work with hpie.exe (Request.Browser.Type="Mozilla"). I know
> nothing
> about Java script or how .Focus works. Is there any way of fixing this
> problem, or is there a Windows CE browser that would make .Focus work?
> --
> John Austin

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi John,

As Ben has said, you can simply test the setfocus behavior through pure
javascript function call rather than the ASP.NET Page.Setfocus method.
ASP.NET server-side page/control method also emit client-side script to
setfocus. If pure client script also not work, I'm afraid the problem
should be specific to the iehp.exe browser:

#Set Focus to First Input on Web Page
http://www.codeproject.com/jscript/FocusFirstInput.asp

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBBdXN0aW4=?=

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the help - your sample code works fine. Also pasting the
id="Body" onload="document.form1.txtCardID.focus();"
into my existing page makes it work too.

I know nothing about Java script, so why does your 'onload' work and
Microsoft's
<form id="form1" runat="server" defaultfocus="txtCardID">
not work?

--
John Austin

"Ben Rush" wrote:

> Try this and let me know what it does:
>
> http://www.ben-rush.net/blog/PermaLi...d8c499a&dotnet
>
> If JavaScript is truly enabled, then something like that should work for
> you.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
> Ben Rush
> http://www.ben-rush.net/blog
>

> "John Austin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The HP t5520 Windows CE based thin client comes with a browser called
> > 'Internet Explorer' - iehp.exe. It appears to have Java script
> > (Request.Browser.JavaScript = True). I want to use this browser in
> > conjunction with a 'keyboard wedge' magnetic card reader (and no keyboard)
> > record the arrival of staff and to display information about the employees
> > jobs for the day. The webform has a textbox that must maintain focus so
> > that
> > when a magnetic card is swiped, the card details are recorded and the form
> > submitted. Page_Load has textbox1.Focus which does the job fine in IE7,
> > but
> > does not work with hpie.exe (Request.Browser.Type="Mozilla"). I know
> > nothing
> > about Java script or how .Focus works. Is there any way of fixing this
> > problem, or is there a Windows CE browser that would make .Focus work?
> > --
> > John Austin

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ben,

The "defaultfocus" is an ASP.NET server-side control attribute, the ASP.NET
runtime will render out clientscript (to set focus) according to this
attribute value. However, the rendering will vary according to the client
browser. I think ASP.NET possibly detect the iehp.exe as a non-javascript
enabled browser and doesn't correctly output script to set focus.

<form id="form1" runat="server" defaultfocus="txtCardID">

You can try checking the source of the output html at client-side to see
whether the ASP.NET has render the same script code as your own custom
script.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBBdXN0aW4=?=

Hello Stevan,

Request.Browser.JavaScript = True, so it ought to think that the browser
supports Java script. Can you tell me where I could download a copy of
Microsoft's Internet Explorer for Windows CE? I cant find a download anywhere.
Thanks
--
John Austin

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> The "defaultfocus" is an ASP.NET server-side control attribute, the ASP.NET
> runtime will render out clientscript (to set focus) according to this
> attribute value. However, the rendering will vary according to the client
> browser. I think ASP.NET possibly detect the iehp.exe as a non-javascript
> enabled browser and doesn't correctly output script to set focus.
>
> <form id="form1" runat="server" defaultfocus="txtCardID">
>
> You can try checking the source of the output html at client-side to see
> whether the ASP.NET has render the same script code as your own custom
> script.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi John,

What's the " Internet Explorer for Windows CE" you mean? The exe image of
it? So far for Internet explorer, it seems be installed with the windows
OS rather than a separate package. If you want to get a correct copy to
replace a corrupted one, you can consider copy one from another box with
this IE for Wince installed.