Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > IP address switch

IP address switch

thejim

Do layer 2 switches have IP addresses in a network or just MAC
adresses?

Scott Townsend

Depends on the Switch.
Unmanaged typically do not.
Managed switches typically do.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

ciscopimpenator@gmail.com

On Apr 12, 2:00 pm, "thejim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do layer 2 switches have IP addresses in a network or just MAC
> adresses?

Layer 2 switches have IP addresses for managing the network. Lets say
you need to reverse telnet to edit configurations.

I learned that the command

interface VLAN 1

is used to setup a management interface for the switch. What you
need to do is set an ip address and default gateway so you can access
this interface and configure the switch remotely. Intially these
parameters need to be setup from the console.

-Ciscopimpenator

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>On Apr 12, 2:00 pm, "thejim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Do layer 2 switches have IP addresses in a network or just MAC
>> adresses?

>Layer 2 switches have IP addresses for managing the network. Lets say
>you need to reverse telnet to edit configurations.

Correction: *some* Layer 2 switches have IP addresses. A bunch of
them have no IP addresses at all, and are only configurable over
the serial port, or via push buttons or jumpers, or are not configurable
at all.

>I learned that the command
>interface VLAN 1
>is used to setup a management interface for the switch.

Not on non-Cisco brands it isn't. That isn't even what you would
do on Cisco's Linksys brand.

ciscopimpenator@gmail.com

Oh, my mistake. You can setup a Cisco 2950 with "interface VLAN 1"
and the ip address of your choice if you need inband management. Its
not default, but its an option.
Its mentioned in the CCNA ICND textbook as a possible scenario for
configuring inband management.

-Ciscopimpenator

Paul.Parish@gmail.com

The Cisco ICND book could be wrong but I doubt it.