Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > IP Routing Question on 3560 Switches

Reply
Thread Tools

IP Routing Question on 3560 Switches

 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2007
Hi,

I have a network with two Cisco Catalyst 3560 switches ( standard image )
and am trying to setup routing between VLANs.

The two switches are connected via fibre and the fibre port is set as a
dot1Q trunk ( all VLANs ).

There are a number of VLANs:

VLAN3 192.168.3.0/24
VLAN4 192.168.4.0/24
VLAN5 192.168.5.0/24
etc...

None of these are on the management VLAN.

VTP is up and running across the fibre link so the VLANs are replicating
between switches.

When I enable IP routing I can get some semblence of routing going on
between VLANs, but not others. For example, a client on VLAN3 can ping
another client on VLAN4, but cannot ping a client on VLAN5. VLAN5 can be
pinged via the diagnostics utility in the switch though. Another strange
one is that an APC UPS connected to one switch can be pinged by IP address
from the other switch, but tyring to access the web control panel using the
same IP address fails.

When two 3560 switches are configured as above, does IP routing have to be
enabled on both switches? If so, what IP addresses should be used for the
VLANs?

I have tried using, say, 192.168.3.1 as the IP address for VLAN3 ( on both
switches ) but this doesn't seem to make sense.


--
Rich

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kyle Evans
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2007
Rich,

You only need ip routing on one switch, and that switch should have a
vlan interface with an ip address configured for each vlan. The gateway
address on the client PCs should be the ip address on the vlan interface
for their vlan. The second switch only needs to have all the vlans (no
vlan interfaces required).


Kyle

Rich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a network with two Cisco Catalyst 3560 switches ( standard image
> ) and am trying to setup routing between VLANs.
>
> The two switches are connected via fibre and the fibre port is set as a
> dot1Q trunk ( all VLANs ).
>
> There are a number of VLANs:
>
> VLAN3 192.168.3.0/24
> VLAN4 192.168.4.0/24
> VLAN5 192.168.5.0/24
> etc...
>
> None of these are on the management VLAN.
>
> VTP is up and running across the fibre link so the VLANs are replicating
> between switches.
>
> When I enable IP routing I can get some semblence of routing going on
> between VLANs, but not others. For example, a client on VLAN3 can ping
> another client on VLAN4, but cannot ping a client on VLAN5. VLAN5 can
> be pinged via the diagnostics utility in the switch though. Another
> strange one is that an APC UPS connected to one switch can be pinged by
> IP address from the other switch, but tyring to access the web control
> panel using the same IP address fails.
>
> When two 3560 switches are configured as above, does IP routing have to
> be enabled on both switches? If so, what IP addresses should be used
> for the VLANs?
>
> I have tried using, say, 192.168.3.1 as the IP address for VLAN3 ( on
> both switches ) but this doesn't seem to make sense.
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2007
Kyle,

Thanks for that, you nailed it in one!

I scrubbed the routing config from the second switch, adjusted a few client
gateway settings and "badda-boom" - working fine.

--
Rich


"Kyle Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:evj42f$c20$(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu...
> Rich,
>
> You only need ip routing on one switch, and that switch should have a
> vlan interface with an ip address configured for each vlan. The gateway
> address on the client PCs should be the ip address on the vlan interface
> for their vlan. The second switch only needs to have all the vlans (no
> vlan interfaces required).
>
>
> Kyle
>
> Rich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a network with two Cisco Catalyst 3560 switches ( standard image
>> ) and am trying to setup routing between VLANs.
>>
>> The two switches are connected via fibre and the fibre port is set as a
>> dot1Q trunk ( all VLANs ).
>>
>> There are a number of VLANs:
>>
>> VLAN3 192.168.3.0/24
>> VLAN4 192.168.4.0/24
>> VLAN5 192.168.5.0/24
>> etc...
>>
>> None of these are on the management VLAN.
>>
>> VTP is up and running across the fibre link so the VLANs are replicating
>> between switches.
>>
>> When I enable IP routing I can get some semblence of routing going on
>> between VLANs, but not others. For example, a client on VLAN3 can ping
>> another client on VLAN4, but cannot ping a client on VLAN5. VLAN5 can
>> be pinged via the diagnostics utility in the switch though. Another
>> strange one is that an APC UPS connected to one switch can be pinged by
>> IP address from the other switch, but tyring to access the web control
>> panel using the same IP address fails.
>>
>> When two 3560 switches are configured as above, does IP routing have to
>> be enabled on both switches? If so, what IP addresses should be used
>> for the VLANs?
>>
>> I have tried using, say, 192.168.3.1 as the IP address for VLAN3 ( on
>> both switches ) but this doesn't seem to make sense.
>>
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trendkill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2007
On Apr 11, 2:38 pm, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Kyle,
>
> Thanks for that, you nailed it in one!
>
> I scrubbed the routing config from the second switch, adjusted a few client
> gateway settings and "badda-boom" - working fine.
>
> --
> Rich
>
> "Kyle Evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:evj42f$c20$(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu...
>
> > Rich,

>
> > You only need ip routing on one switch, and that switch should have a
> > vlan interface with an ip address configured for each vlan. The gateway
> > address on the client PCs should be the ip address on the vlan interface
> > for their vlan. The second switch only needs to have all the vlans (no
> > vlan interfaces required).

>
> > Kyle

>
> > Rich wrote:
> >> Hi,

>
> >> I have a network with two Cisco Catalyst 3560 switches ( standard image
> >> ) and am trying to setup routing between VLANs.

>
> >> The two switches are connected via fibre and the fibre port is set as a
> >> dot1Q trunk ( all VLANs ).

>
> >> There are a number of VLANs:

>
> >> VLAN3 192.168.3.0/24
> >> VLAN4 192.168.4.0/24
> >> VLAN5 192.168.5.0/24
> >> etc...

>
> >> None of these are on the management VLAN.

>
> >> VTP is up and running across the fibre link so the VLANs are replicating
> >> between switches.

>
> >> When I enable IP routing I can get some semblence of routing going on
> >> between VLANs, but not others. For example, a client on VLAN3 can ping
> >> another client on VLAN4, but cannot ping a client on VLAN5. VLAN5 can
> >> be pinged via the diagnostics utility in the switch though. Another
> >> strange one is that an APC UPS connected to one switch can be pinged by
> >> IP address from the other switch, but tyring to access the web control
> >> panel using the same IP address fails.

>
> >> When two 3560 switches are configured as above, does IP routing have to
> >> be enabled on both switches? If so, what IP addresses should be used
> >> for the VLANs?

>
> >> I have tried using, say, 192.168.3.1 as the IP address for VLAN3 ( on
> >> both switches ) but this doesn't seem to make sense.


Truthfully, and if these are failover, you should turn up an IP
address on each and run HSRP which will be the gateway. Might as well
have layer 2 and 3 redundancy, particularly if any boxes have a
connection to each switch. Would hate for you to lose the switch that
controls layer 3, and have the other switch be a sitting duck.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2007
"Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>
> Truthfully, and if these are failover, you should turn up an IP
> address on each and run HSRP which will be the gateway. Might as well
> have layer 2 and 3 redundancy, particularly if any boxes have a
> connection to each switch. Would hate for you to lose the switch that
> controls layer 3, and have the other switch be a sitting duck.
>



Thanks for the tip Trendkill, I wasn't aware of HSRP. Looks good.

--
Rich


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Solution to ARP spoofing on 3560 and 2960 switches please Trendkill Cisco 7 04-09-2008 03:50 PM
Trunking 3560 switches over a bridged LAN jlamanna@gmail.com Cisco 3 09-20-2007 11:30 PM
Catalyst 3560 causing switches to freeze? justin_ltg@yahoo.com Cisco 7 05-09-2006 03:03 PM
daisy-chaining 3548 and 3560 switches halbert@bbn.com Cisco 1 04-11-2006 09:39 PM
Routing between office and datacentre using 3560 switches Alex g Cisco 0 02-21-2006 05:22 PM



Advertisments