Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Making Sense of Cisco Spare Parts

Making Sense of Cisco Spare Parts

Will

I'm trying to make sense of Cisco's part number system that uses an equal
(=) at the end of some part numbers, and it doesn't make a whole lot of
sense to me so far. Some of the cases that are throwing me for a loop:

- I have a catalog that has parts with = and no corresponding part without
the equal. Case in point: 15216-AD1-2-30.3= I see as a spare but cannot
locate in the catalog a 15216-AD1-2-30.3. What is the meaning of such
cases?

- I see cases where the = part has a lower price than the part without the
equal. Example: 15808-CMP and 15808-CMP=. 15808-CMP is more expensive
by far.

I understand the cases where the = part has a higher price, primarily for
service contracts (which makes sense), and for other items that are
discounted at time of purchase with a system.

--
Will

headsetadapter.com

Will,

I think part numbers without "=" available only when you "build" the system.
For example, you build Catalyst 6513 with Sup720, line cards,etc. Or, for
example, if you order NetFlow cards for Catalyst 4500/Sup5 as "part of the
deal", or afterwards. These parts are "part of the package". however if you
want to "add" some auxiliary functionality or redundancy, you have to use
"spare" parts. It's like having Lego "set" and "spare" pieces. But honestly,
in most cases there is no difference in pricing, quality or availability
between "spare" and "non-spare" parts.

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
------
Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
www.headsetadapter.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

On 11 Apr, 12:07, "headsetadapter.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Will,
>
> I think part numbers without "=" available only when you "build" the system.
> For example, you build Catalyst 6513 with Sup720, line cards,etc. Or, for
> example, if you order NetFlow cards for Catalyst 4500/Sup5 as "part of the
> deal", or afterwards. These parts are "part of the package". however if you
> want to "add" some auxiliary functionality or redundancy, you have to use
> "spare" parts. It's like having Lego "set" and "spare" pieces. But honestly,
> in most cases there is no difference in pricing, quality or availability
> between "spare" and "non-spare" parts.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Mike
> CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
> CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
> ------
> Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phoneswww.ciscoheadsetadapter.comwww.headsetadapte r.com
>
> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > I'm trying to make sense of Cisco's part number system that uses an equal
> > (=) at the end of some part numbers, and it doesn't make a whole lot of
> > sense to me so far. Some of the cases that are throwing me for a loop:

> > - I have a catalog that has parts with = and no corresponding part without
> > the equal. Case in point: 15216-AD1-2-30.3= I see as a spare but cannot
> > locate in the catalog a 15216-AD1-2-30.3. What is the meaning of such
> > cases?

> > - I see cases where the = part has a lower price than the part without the
> > equal. Example: 15808-CMP and 15808-CMP=. 15808-CMP is more
> > expensive by far.

> > I understand the cases where the = part has a higher price, primarily for
> > service contracts (which makes sense), and for other items that are
> > discounted at time of purchase with a system.

When I worked for a Cisco Partner components ordered without the "="
were as has been said assumed to comprise an assembly and we checked
carefully that the components did indeed fit together and interoperate
and that the correct software was specified.

Parts ordered with "=" were on the other hand assumed to be discrete
and no shuch checks were made. IIRC the Cisco ordering system
did some automatic checking too.

There was never any price difference at all. That was though a while
back.

As an example an order for a 6513 chassis, PSU, sup720,
fan tray, software and 11 Dual fabric line cards would hopefully
be flagged up as invalid unless ordered with "=" part numbers.

Will

"headsetadapter.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I think part numbers without "=" available only when you "build" the
> system. For example, you build Catalyst 6513 with Sup720, line cards,etc.
> Or, for example, if you order NetFlow cards for Catalyst 4500/Sup5 as
> "part of the deal", or afterwards. These parts are "part of the package".
> however if you want to "add" some auxiliary functionality or redundancy,
> you have to use "spare" parts. It's like having Lego "set" and "spare"
> pieces. But honestly, in most cases there is no difference in pricing,
> quality or availability between "spare" and "non-spare" parts.

All clear, but I'm still trying to make sense of the special cases I found
such as:

--
Will