Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Slow Loading

Slow Loading

fogranger@homail.com

Firefox seems to take forever to load compared to IE.
I'd prefer not to use IE for safety reasons, but if I just want to
quickly view a website, I really hate the long wait to get Firefox
loaded. Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
setting to speed it up.

Yes, I know that IE is built into Windows, so part of it is already
loaded, but there is still a significant difference.

I also clear the cache, cookies, and history upon closing ALL
browsers, so that is not the issue.

Miller

*(E-Mail Removed)* wrote on 10.04.07 23:58:
> Firefox seems to take forever to load compared to IE.
> I'd prefer not to use IE for safety reasons, but if I just want to
> quickly view a website, I really hate the long wait to get Firefox
> loaded. Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
> setting to speed it up.

Have you got some Add-ons installed in FF?

cu, Miller

On Apr 10, 2:58 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Firefox seems to take forever to load compared to IE.
> I'd prefer not to use IE for safety reasons, but if I just want to
> quickly view a website, I really hate the long wait to get Firefox
> loaded. Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
> setting to speed it up.
>
> Yes, I know that IE is built into Windows, so part of it is already
> loaded, but there is still a significant difference.
>
> I also clear the cache, cookies, and history upon closing ALL
> browsers, so that is not the issue.

nope, mine takes a few seconds. As a matter of fact, I think its a few
seconds faster than IE.

The more extensions and themes you have then the longer its going to
take to open. Disable them all then restart FF. Any faster?

Philipp Kretzschmar

* http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), On 10.04.2007 23:58:
> Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
> setting to speed it up.

To even things up:

Right-click the Firefox-icon on your desktop, then add at "target" (I
hope it is called so -- I'm German):

[space]/prefetch:1

My line looks like this:
"C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1

The [space] is important or an error will occure.

This is how IE is loaded faster or in fact, any of M$ products.
Everytime you boot your system, Firefox will be preloaded and the
start-up-time will be drasticly shortened.

* *
* MfG *
* Philipp Jabber : (E-Mail Removed) *
* ICQ : 249832799 *
* *

On Apr 11, 4:34 am, Philipp Kretzschmar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * (E-Mail Removed), On 10.04.2007 23:58:
>
> > Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
> > setting to speed it up.

> To even things up:
>
> Right-click the Firefox-icon on your desktop, then add at "target" (I
> hope it is called so -- I'm German):
>
> [space]/prefetch:1
>
> My line looks like this:
> "C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
>
> The [space] is important or an error will occure.
>
> This is how IE is loaded faster or in fact, any of M$ products.
> Everytime you boot your system, Firefox will be preloaded and the
> start-up-time will be drasticly shortened.

NOTE: prefetch is an XP thing.

* Rowland Croucher *

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Apr 11, 4:34 am, Philipp Kretzschmar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> * (E-Mail Removed), On 10.04.2007 23:58:
>>
>>> Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
>>> setting to speed it up.

>> To even things up:
>>
>> Right-click the Firefox-icon on your desktop, then add at "target" (I
>> hope it is called so -- I'm German):
>>
>> [space]/prefetch:1
>>
>> My line looks like this:
>> "C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
>>
>> The [space] is important or an error will occure.
>>
>> This is how IE is loaded faster or in fact, any of M$ products.
>> Everytime you boot your system, Firefox will be preloaded and the
>> start-up-time will be drasticly shortened.
>>

> NOTE: prefetch is an XP thing.

My mozilla programs were loading faster than OE or IE ever did until I
installed Windows Live One-Care. Now the computer is labouring all the
time...

Question from newbie: How do I uninstall it? Why didn't it tell me to
disable other virus-checkers etc. when installing?

--
Shalom! Rowland Croucher

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/ (20,000 articles 4000 humor)

fogranger@homail.com

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:32:05 +0200, Miller <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>*(E-Mail Removed)* wrote on 10.04.07 23:58:
>> Firefox seems to take forever to load compared to IE.
>> I'd prefer not to use IE for safety reasons, but if I just want to
>> quickly view a website, I really hate the long wait to get Firefox
>> loaded. Is this just the way it works with FF or is there some
>> setting to speed it up.

>Have you got some Add-ons installed in FF?
>
>cu, Miller

Yes, about 5 plugins, flashblock, adblock, and a few others...

I should probably mention that I run IE5.5 which is small compared to
newer vers. I'm using the latest ver of FF unless they made an
upgrade ver in the last 2 weeks.

Canopus

* Rowland Croucher * scribed:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>On Apr 11, 4:34 am, Philipp Kretzschmar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>* (E-Mail Removed), On 10.04.2007 23:58:

>>>To even things up:
>>>
>>>Right-click the Firefox-icon on your desktop, then add at "target" (I
>>>hope it is called so -- I'm German):
>>>
>>> [space]/prefetch:1
>>>
>>>My line looks like this:
>>>"C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1
>>>
>>>The [space] is important or an error will occure.
>>>
>>>This is how IE is loaded faster or in fact, any of M$ products.
>>>Everytime you boot your system, Firefox will be preloaded and the
>>>start-up-time will be drasticly shortened.
>>>

>>NOTE: prefetch is an XP thing.
>>

>My mozilla programs were loading faster than OE or IE ever did until I
>installed Windows Live One-Care. Now the computer is labouring all the
>time...
>
>Question from newbie: How do I uninstall it? Why didn't it tell me to
>disable other virus-checkers etc. when installing?

There's nothing really to uninstall, it runs from the MS site. An Active X
is downloaded like the Active X of Windows Update, but, this should not
effect Mozilla in any way as Mozilla doesn't use Active X as it's an IE
plug in. IF you go to IE Properties > General > Settings you will see it
listed there. If you go to Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs and
check the Show All Updates box you will see the plug in listed there for
removal, but, as I said it should have no effect on Mozilla.

--
Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/

* Rowland Croucher *

Canopus wrote:
> * Rowland Croucher * scribed:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> NOTE: prefetch is an XP thing.
>>>

>> My mozilla programs were loading faster than OE or IE ever did until I
>> installed Windows Live One-Care. Now the computer is labouring all the
>> time...
>>
>> Question from newbie: How do I uninstall it? Why didn't it tell me to
>> disable other virus-checkers etc. when installing?

> There's nothing really to uninstall, it runs from the MS site. An Active
> X is downloaded like the Active X of Windows Update, but, this should
> not effect Mozilla in any way as Mozilla doesn't use Active X as it's an
> IE plug in. IF you go to IE Properties > General > Settings you will
> see it listed there. If you go to Control Panel > Add and Remove
> Programs and check the Show All Updates box you will see the plug in
> listed there for removal, but, as I said it should have no effect on
> Mozilla.

Thanks. I uninstalled that program and the computer isn't going into
overdrive behind the scenes anymore...

--
Shalom! Rowland Croucher

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/ (20,000 articles 4000 humor)

Canopus

* Rowland Croucher * scribed:

>Thanks. I uninstalled that program and the computer isn't going into
>overdrive behind the scenes anymore...

That is very strange, I have it on my PC and have had no symptoms that you
described. Mind you, Active X has been known to cause strange problems so
we're lucky Mozilla doesn't use it.