Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > COM Interop Via Web

Reply
Thread Tools

COM Interop Via Web

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXIgQWxsYnJpdHRvbg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2007
I have a basic web app that is using Word (I know, big no no) to fill out a
Word Template based on form input and save the resulting document to
SharePoint. When I'm running the application locally (logged onto Windows
Server) it works great. Remotely, it hangs when opening the Word application
instance. I assume I have some DCOM or other security issue. Any ideas on
where it may be?

Thanks!
Tyler Allbritton
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Rae
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2007
"Tyler Allbritton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a basic web app that is using Word (I know, big no no)


Hmm - just to be clear, you already *know* that what you're doing is a "big
no no", and now you're wondering why it doesn't work...?

> I assume I have some DCOM or other security issue.


Who knows - it could be any number of things...

The simple fact is that server-side Office automation is not supported by
Microsoft because it's not designed to work this way:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...US;q257757#kb2

Use this instead: http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXIgQWxsYnJpdHRvbg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2007
Mark - Thanks for the comment.

If anyone is interested in an actual solution though, Word and other Office
apps need to run under normal user accounts as opposed to a built-in accounts
like LOCAL SERVICE. This is why it worked when I was logged in, but not
remotely. Microsoft outlines how to do this specifically for Office/COM here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/288367.

In my case I set the Idenity for Word to the new OfficeAutomationUser
account via DCOMCNFG. It works great!



"Mark Rae" wrote:

> "Tyler Allbritton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > I have a basic web app that is using Word (I know, big no no)

>
> Hmm - just to be clear, you already *know* that what you're doing is a "big
> no no", and now you're wondering why it doesn't work...?
>
> > I assume I have some DCOM or other security issue.

>
> Who knows - it could be any number of things...
>
> The simple fact is that server-side Office automation is not supported by
> Microsoft because it's not designed to work this way:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...US;q257757#kb2
>
> Use this instead: http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Words
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Rae
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2007
"Tyler Allbritton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If anyone is interested in an actual solution though, Word and other
> Office
> apps need to run under normal user accounts as opposed to a built-in
> accounts
> like LOCAL SERVICE. This is why it worked when I was logged in, but not
> remotely. Microsoft outlines how to do this specifically for Office/COM
> here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/288367.


Sigh... Did you actually *read* that article...? Specifically, the bits
saying things like "We do not recommend or support...", "...risky and
unstable...", "stop responding (hang)", "...corrupt data...", "...crash the
calling process...", "...bring down your Web server...", "Office was not
designed, and is not safe, for unattended execution on a server. Developers
who use Office in this manner do so at their own risk."

Etc.

> In my case I set the Idenity for Word to the new OfficeAutomationUser
> account via DCOMCNFG. It works great!


Best of luck - you're really going to need it!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deployment of a WebApp that uses Word 10.0 via Interop.Word.dll object - How do I register the COM?? Luis Esteban Valencia ASP .Net 2 09-26-2008 08:26 PM
Using Excel Interop via VS.NET 2005 to create and save a new Excelworksheet.. please help! J'son ASP .Net 1 01-28-2008 07:44 PM
Error with TreeView Control (MSCOMCTL.OCX) via COM Interop from ASP.NET and Service Pack MarkD ASP .Net 0 08-03-2005 02:44 PM
Re: Calling a WS-Security web-service from ASP Application via ASP.NET or .NET Class using interop Patrick ASP .Net 2 10-01-2004 12:52 AM
Web COM+ interop results in out of memory errors ShikariShambu ASP .Net 1 12-30-2003 07:29 AM



Advertisments