Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dell's road to Linux

Dell's road to Linux

DP

Article says most of Dell's customers wanting Linux machines will be
"techies."
That, to me, then raises the question: How many hard-core techies are going
to want a Dell?

I could be way wrong, but I think Dell will find out this was a disastrous
move. This is not a knock against Linux. It's just that I think that a
company that has made its fortune by trying to be a mass-market computer
maker is not going to generate a lot of income from machines using an
operating system that for now is a niche market.

Alias

DP wrote:
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=198800645
>
> Article says most of Dell's customers wanting Linux machines will be
> "techies."
> That, to me, then raises the question: How many hard-core techies are
> going to want a Dell?
>
> I could be way wrong, but I think Dell will find out this was a
> disastrous move. This is not a knock against Linux. It's just that I
> think that a company that has made its fortune by trying to be a
> mass-market computer maker is not going to generate a lot of income from
> machines using an operating system that for now is a niche market.

Two things:

1. Linux is much more user friendly that it used to be.

2. Dell is probably thinking this is a good opportunity to make some
money through support rather than the small profit they make from
selling hardware.

Alias

kirk jim

This move came from an online survey dell made...

many people asked for this. They did not just come out of the blue with this
idea....
I suspect however many people will be getting these, formating and
installing windows eventually.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=198800645
>
> Article says most of Dell's customers wanting Linux machines will be
> "techies."
> That, to me, then raises the question: How many hard-core techies are
> going to want a Dell?
>
> I could be way wrong, but I think Dell will find out this was a disastrous
> move. This is not a knock against Linux. It's just that I think that a
> company that has made its fortune by trying to be a mass-market computer
> maker is not going to generate a lot of income from machines using an
> operating system that for now is a niche market.

Tom Scales

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=198800645
>
> Article says most of Dell's customers wanting Linux machines will be
> "techies."
> That, to me, then raises the question: How many hard-core techies are
> going to want a Dell?
>
> I could be way wrong, but I think Dell will find out this was a disastrous
> move. This is not a knock against Linux. It's just that I think that a
> company that has made its fortune by trying to be a mass-market computer
> maker is not going to generate a lot of income from machines using an
> operating system that for now is a niche market.

How could it be disastrous? The startup costs are small and if they are
never ordered they are never built.

DP

"kirk jim" <11@11.11> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This move came from an online survey dell made...
>
> many people asked for this. They did not just come out of the blue with
> this idea....

Right. But how accurate is that kind of survey? All you need is a bunch of
Linux advocates flocking to the site to answer the survey. Not very
scientific.
Any online survey can be gamed if you have enough interested people who are
urged to go there and answer.
And a lot of surveys that only allow you to vote once can be defeated if
you: 1) Vote from several different machines and/or 2) Clear the browser
cookies so the site can't tell you voted once already. Sounds like a system
only a techie or would-be techie would know how to defeat.
I hardly think an online survey is a true picture of market opinion.

kirk jim

I don't know.. I suspect that dell is not stupid....

they must have seen some significant amount of feedback from the survey..
and said..
lets give it a go...they don't have much to lose anyway....

They may have sniffed some problems with the future of MS (as I cough cough,
have predicted).
And want to have other avenues of expansion if ever that is needed.

You might also want to read my other post today about the "conspiracy
theory"...
that explains the MS-hardware alliance.

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "kirk jim" <11@11.11> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This move came from an online survey dell made...
>>
>> many people asked for this. They did not just come out of the blue with
>> this idea....

> Right. But how accurate is that kind of survey? All you need is a bunch of
> Linux advocates flocking to the site to answer the survey. Not very
> scientific.
> Any online survey can be gamed if you have enough interested people who
> are urged to go there and answer.
> And a lot of surveys that only allow you to vote once can be defeated if
> you: 1) Vote from several different machines and/or 2) Clear the browser
> cookies so the site can't tell you voted once already. Sounds like a
> system only a techie or would-be techie would know how to defeat.
> I hardly think an online survey is a true picture of market opinion.

Stephan Rose

Tom Scales wrote:

> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=198800645
>>
>> Article says most of Dell's customers wanting Linux machines will be
>> "techies."
>> That, to me, then raises the question: How many hard-core techies are
>> going to want a Dell?
>>
>> I could be way wrong, but I think Dell will find out this was a
>> disastrous move. This is not a knock against Linux. It's just that I
>> think that a company that has made its fortune by trying to be a
>> mass-market computer maker is not going to generate a lot of income from
>> machines using an operating system that for now is a niche market.
>>

> How could it be disastrous? The startup costs are small and if they are
> never ordered they are never built.

Precisely. They don't need to support every distribution. Only the
distributions they choose to sell with their systems. That makes tech
support relatively easily. Just a new set of scripts to read by the monkey
on the phone...

As far as the hardware goes, get a few people to put a few test systems
together to test the various supported hardware and available
configurations...and then throw those options on the website.

No risk anywhere there...

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから

ray

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 05:16:37 -0500, DP wrote:

> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=198800645
>
> Article says most of Dell's customers wanting Linux machines will be
> "techies."
> That, to me, then raises the question: How many hard-core techies are going
> to want a Dell?
>
> I could be way wrong, but I think Dell will find out this was a disastrous
> move. This is not a knock against Linux. It's just that I think that a
> company that has made its fortune by trying to be a mass-market computer
> maker is not going to generate a lot of income from machines using an
> operating system that for now is a niche market.

What move? So far they have not done a damned thing. They've offered Linux
on "select models" for years. IMHO customers should have the freedom of
choice.

Dale White

I think it's awesome and I personally hope that every PC vendor starts
offering Linux. Who cares how many they sale, it gives consumers a choice.
Hopefully, no one will buy Linux by accident. I'd love to see Linux\Mac take
over about 30-40% of the desktop space. I'm not a Microsoft hater, but
Microsoft is in need of serious competition to wake them up from their
slumber. Intel needed AMD, nVidia needs ATI. Microsoft needs something as
well.

Plus Dell isn't doing so good right now, so why not show they are still
young and hip. There are junior techie's that aren't quite there yet, but
want to kick Microsoft to the curb (cause that's the in thing these days).
It makes it a little easier when you can buy a box with Linux already
installed and tested and all one has to do is go ! Hopefully, they won't get
all the extra un-needed crap loaded under Linux that they do un Windows.

I don't see this has a big money maker at first, it's an investment that may
or may not pay out. If it does catch on, they'll be ahead of the other
vendors. If it doesn't, it will be just another R&D style writeoff

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=198800645
>
> Article says most of Dell's customers wanting Linux machines will be
> "techies."
> That, to me, then raises the question: How many hard-core techies are
> going to want a Dell?
>
> I could be way wrong, but I think Dell will find out this was a disastrous
> move. This is not a knock against Linux. It's just that I think that a
> company that has made its fortune by trying to be a mass-market computer
> maker is not going to generate a lot of income from machines using an
> operating system that for now is a niche market.

Homer J. Simpson

> Who cares how many they sale

a) You buy a Dell system preloaded with Linux
b) Six months later Dell realizes the return on their initial investment
isn't as good as hoped
c) Dell decides to stop supporting Linux

May you won't admit it, but in the big picture, I'm pretty sure you *do*
care how many they sell.